• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Thinking About Returning to PCPs

I started another thread about Compressors. A costly and buggy compressor caused my exit from PCPs several years ago.

I'm thinking about returning for round two -- .22 or .25 -- plinking and forest squirrel hunting for the table, I'm not a pester.

It was about the time the Steyr Pro X was launched that I was intriguing. I still think that bull pup is pretty cool looking and having owned a Steyr Hunter 5 Auto I admire their rifles for durability, dependability, ergonomics, and in semi-auto loading a lot of fun. However, that Steyr is so expensive, especially since Krale is no longer able to sell to us without a near $600 "tax". The rifle seems to be nonexistent in the US. I visited Pilkguns and didn't see anything but target stuff.

The Daystate Alpha Wolf is also quite nice. I owned an Air Wolf once. But again through the roof for this now retired shooter.

My bigger question is what would be a solid alternative to the Pro X? I see the Huben K1 seems solid, but not as classy looking (I prefer walnut, even ugly walnut) as the Steyr. I'd sure like to know what some folks think that have direct experience with the pups.
Thanks

Last edited:
Sidewinder will be available with walnut stock from Steve Corcoran.

DSCF7777.jpeg

The huben is a good rifle. I had one in .22 and was very accurate and able to go to 80+ fpe. They make it in a wood stock. FX wildcat MK3 compact is a great rifle, great ergonomics, laser accurate and light weight. I let my huben go for my current wildcat compact, though it doesn’t have the power of the huben, I’m happier with the wildcat

how is your woodworking? This is one of my 3 P35s in a stock I made from a piece of cherry I had left over from making my dining room table and chairs. Could have been walnut if I had that on hand or went and got some. They come with a plastic stock. About 5 lbs. The 25 would come tuned to 40+ fpe and the 22 30+. Plenty for small game in my opinion. They are less than $500 from Krale. The Stoeger Bullshark is closely related with a different stock and a 40mm longer barrel. You can find the Stoeger in the U. S.. They are regulated.

The predecessor rear cocking P15 is still available and comes in a beech stock.

The Crosman/Kral Akela comes in a walnut stock. Rear cocking and unregulated.

windage monopod on 22.jpg

In my collection is a Charlie Frear .22 Kalibrgun Cricket Long in .22 that will shoot 10 shot 3/8” group at 50 yards with a decent wood stock.

Just a thought….
I have the Cricket Mini Carbine version and agree on the accuracy. With JSB or H&N .22 18s @ 800fps it is a laser out to 50 yards. And I say at least 80-100 shots per fill. I'm probably on of the few that really like the Cricket rotary magazines - very easy on pellets with no crushing, 14 rounds and the loading doesn't bother me one bit.