• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Theoben dual magnum, who?

The 54/56 sledge is borrowed/old technology just the gas ram is although many think both are newer innovations. The FWB150 I believe was the first to use the sledge ~1961! Theoben, the first gas ram came about the early 80's. There really is nothing like the Dual Magnums before or since. From the unprecedented power to easily used "dual power" and ability to be used from 12-36fpe they are utterly unique. More impressive than the sledge technology is the Giss system recoiless rifles. The sledge guns are actually semi recoiless whereas the Giss is recoiless. It uses dual opposing pistons to cancel the action of the other and is old tech also ~1960 and was invented by Diana I believe. The Whiscombe rifles later used it also and I think those were the only 2 company's to use that very complex recoil suppression system.

INCREDIBLE that this technology was created 6 decades ago! Springers/ gas guns have devolved from since these guns were last produced. 
I’m guessing these guns aren’t made any more because customers would rather buy a PCP for what these complex guns would cost.

The Rutten Winstar is seems like an awesome rifle as well. Would love to have one of those over the Airstar 

Here is another example of a sledge system air rifle, the Anschutz 380. This one steps up things a bit in that the barrel/sledge movement is all hidden and or internal. You see no movement at all due to a barrel shroud. 

89 Anschutz LG380.1617132230.JPG
89 Anschutz380.1617132230.JPG

"Theoben, the first gas ram came about the early 80's. There really is nothing like the Dual Magnums before or since. From the unprecedented power to easily used "dual power" and ability to be used from 12-36fpe they are utterly unique"
Entering the Argentinian made "Shark CQ2E" (stands for 2 stage break Barrel), started production in 1980 and had a second run around 2010, also a gas ram, also 2 brake stages, also very high power and came whit a pump to change the gasram piston pressure, derived from an gas ram harpoon gun they made in 1975 (where the company get the name Shark), patented technology in 1979 in ARG and in 1981 in US. Not as well made as the Theoben but still find them used for sale.

Video (in Spanish)

Last edited: