• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

The Trusty American Made ShoeBox

I would absolutely buy one if the two that I currently have crash beyond repair. I can keep them running if the parts are available. Many parts are available, but some aren't, especially the cylinders and spacers within.
Current value for brand new, I would guess in the $500ish neighborhood (I know that they sold for much more than that before going out of business though). I suppose that the reason for the higher expense by Shoebox is the cylinders as I'm sure that they are machined somewhere and not an off-the-shelf item.
Mike

Reactions: Hangtown-Shooter
Absolutely. In fact I just bought a lightly used one to be backup (or maybe starter) for my 9 year old Shoebox Max that is running great with about 270 hours on it.

Hard to put a price on it though - between you and the seller. On the one hand, it is new and was selling for $500 they were last available, but that included a warranty that it no longer has, and parts are no longer available either (unless you buy another spare unit for parts). So I'd say definitely under that - probably not even $400.

But they are great rock-solid compressors - if you get a good one with no "infant mortality" issues, which does happen in some percentage of cases (thus the warranty), and this one is untested. I'll say that I bought the second one as I like them so much I have no desire to go down the Yong Heng path, and want mine to last for many decades if it can. I paid $750 for my Max and was not unhappy with it at that price at all (although admittedly frustrated when the price dropped years later).

Last edited:
I ran an F10 for about 4 years, a total of about 100hrs. Quit building pressure beyond around 3000psi and I got frustrated trying to source parts so listed it for sale and @Revoman picked it up as a spare parts donor.

The only complaint I had with the Shoebox was that the company went out of business and parts became hard to come by. That problem still exists.

Compressing air to the pressures that we use in our airguns is hard on a machine. No matter the name on the machine, eventually a compressor is going to break. Parts availability is a big factor to take into consideration.

I think the booster method is still a valid choice, to the point that I ordered an Altaros about a week ago. If OP is wondering if there's a market for an American company to step in and make boosters AND provide support for them I think there is. But it'll be a tricky game to find the price point that allows the venture to be profitable, while still competing with all the disposable options currently saturating the market. Altaros is still successfully selling boosters in the $750 realm. Not needing to deal with international shipping, just the general convenience of having an American booster company, and the patriotic sentiment of supporting an American business would probably be worth another couple hundred to many shooters. I think breaking the $900-1000 price would keep sales low though.

mobilemail ---=---​

Oh, yer gonna get hit up for those spare parts now....

Beer Nap ---=---​

Tom did go out of business for the reason you stated, but he made a different compressor for CO2 that sold for way more than the Shoebox ever did. Yes, some parts are available from Zack at OCO Labs, but they are limited and Tom sold the rights to OCO Labs and is off doing other things....maybe for NASA?

Last edited:
I just bought a minimally used F10 as "backup" to my trusty 9 year old Max with 270 hours on it (or maybe to be starter for it - have not decided yet). I tested it out and it works great, but man that thing spins fast. When I started down this path with my Max, and it chugged nice and slow (filled slow too, but who cares - these are pretty much the ideal "set it and forget it" tank fillers), but I did upgrade the Max to the F8 motor pulley for a noticeable speed bump (and the auto-oiler, and modded it to run without the clanking shut off too). At first it felt a little fast, since it was spinning 20% faster, but I settled in on it thinking it was OK, and it has been with about 90 of the 270 hours with the bigger pulley. But the F10 just flys in comparison . . . . so fast that the loads on the bearings and drive pins have to be much higher.

I'm actually thinking of swapping out the F8 pulley into the F10 to slow it down and reduce the stresses on it. I figure if it runs 25% slower but lasts 50% longer, it is a huge win. I'm already OK with the fill times of the Max, so it wouldn't hurt in that space. I think Tom had to do something to improve the output to compete with the China stuff, but part of me thinks the F10 went too far in terms of rotational speed . . . .

Last edited:
My Shoebox failed to pump past 3000 psi two years ago and was going to rebuild it, but then I learned of those $300 CHEAP Chinese compressors. Bought one and it has been flawless for the last two years.
Glad it is working well for you. In my opinion though, the Shoebox can't be beat for filling tanks - short of a full dive compressor.

As my Max enters it's tenth year of service, I figure it has compressed over 1800 CF of air to 4500 psi (most of my hundreds of runs have been from above 3500 psi back up to 4500). It seems to be rock solid, but I did not want to take any chances as I prefer these to a compressor that I need to baby sit while it runs - so I bought another for backup and standby parts just in case. They may be on the slow side, but who cares since they can work completely unattended - I often do other stuff while it runs, including even mowing the lawn. I come back later and all is done the tank is ready to use.

The fact they operate as a three stage system (outsourcing the first stage to a common shop compressor, which I will never be without anyways) makes them so much more robust than the two stage units - I don't know the actual compression ratio of the different cylinders and units, but the math shows that two stages need a compression ratio of roughly 17:1 in both stages to get to 300 bar where three stages gets it done in roughly 7:1 or so. I'll take the three stage system any day, even if sized to be slower (even more so, as that reduces heat and stress - thus why I'm thinking of slowing down my F10).

I'm sure there are many that would buy your old Shoebox for parts, if you still have it . . . and I hope your Chinese compressor continues to serve you well for a long time!

Theoretically speaking… if you were given the opportunity, would you consider buying a brand new ShowBox F10 (newest model) compressor?
What would you estimate the current value is on one?
Yes and I'd suggest two price options for purchasing one; $1,200 for a "ready to use" model or $600 for the "guts" that existing f10 owner could purchase to use inside an existing model. (I have never read a report from an owner who has a broken motor or frame.)

Yes and I'd suggest two price options for purchasing one; $1,200 for a "ready to use" model or $600 for the "guts" that existing f10 owner could purchase to use inside an existing model. (I have never read a report from an owner who has a broken motor or frame.)
I'd like to point out that for about the last year that Tom was selling them, brand new F10s sold for $499, with a warranty and parts support, at least till he closed up shop. I know they used to sell for $1200, but to me that seems excessive for a used unit sold "as is" . . .

Each transaction will be a choice between buyers and sellers, but if somebody listed a lightly used F10 on the classifieds for $1200 I doubt it would sell. And broken ones have been going for only a few hundred, if that . . . .

I love the Shoebox as a compressor, but they are no longer supported and that impacts their value.

Seems that a handful of you guys were as confused as me. I couldn't figure out if OP was asking as a possible business venture (making and selling Shoebox-like boosters) or because he had a new-in-box F10 sitting around for 4ish years, when they were last available for purchase from Tom Kaye. Responses went both ways.

@Franklink You nailed it ha! Good call buddy.

About half the replies are thinking I’m considering going into business bringing the glorious ‘ol ShoeBox back from it’s premature demise… I wish I could, but that may be a bit beyond my level haha! (not to mention possible patent infringement?)
Every now and then (they are getting scarce!) I run across a potential deal which, was my “intended topic”, and I should have specified that… I confess I have enjoyed the responses regarding “bringing them back“ though! Thank you to all who have contributed to this thread🤙

I‘ve already accumulated a small personal hoard of ShoeBox’s and spare parts, so like Alan, I‘m fairly certain I can keep them running (longer than I will) most likely! 😎

That's funny right there . . . and I'm laughing at myself too. I figured the only confusion was on the folks that were thinking you were asking about potentially making them - so the confusion could not be with me :unsure::):LOL:

I will say that if asking a question about potentially making them again as part of a new venture, one would need to point out that in the purchase of the "brand new" unit that it would come with a warranty and parts/service support after the sale as that is a big part of the value. Of course we all know now that it might not last forever . . . .

I was actually thinking I might have to put my money where my mouth is and let my newish F-10 go for about $1200 based on this thread . . . glad to know that I don't have to make that decision now!