The Rapid Air Weapons (RAW) Buyers Guide

so, where does this all leave us now that RAW no longer makes all these action you speak of and getting a wood stock is a thing of the past?
Not a thing of the past if you know the right people!!! Lol
Martin is still in business for the old school upgrades! His sight is Airguns USA
Barrel / caliber conversions and the original style stocks are available. Pricey but available!
James from Michigan

Mass production gun. For same money :)
Yes only 357 had larger space for longer projectiles. Upto 30 caliber there is no need of such large space.

As Crony said that RAW is rapidly heading towards mass production strategy. Now they are making same action for all calibers. Less activities means less cost.

Customers don't take it seriously but it shows the direction. I don't mind as long as the quality of the product is not compromised.

Further I wish RAW would incorporate the innovative new technology in the proven platform like I have modified my gun with a kind of balanced valve.

Stocks were off course wonderful when these were being made in house. I don't know who makes them now.

Bhaur

Reactions: sadeqtm
always been interested in RAW bench with a second sporter stock .

20191109_111639.jpg

My @ 2015 era "Custom" TM-1000 that when special ordered from Martin directly was a Mis-Mash of parts & pieces used threw out his model line at that time.

TM in Black ( Typically silver )
Bottled ( Typically Tube )
Bare 19" Barrel ( Typically Sleeved or LDC'ed )
Stock of choice as there were at that time IIRC 5-6 shapes / profiles, Walnut & Laminate woods

As it sits today here @ 8 years later ... very customized being part Jewelry Beauty & Match winning accuracy.

m.jpg

Fantastic write up by Citizen K > https://www.airrifle.co.za/threads/44562-The-Rapid-Air-Weapons-(RAW)-Buyers-Guide

I. The Actions

View attachment 3353

Rapid Air Weapons offers two basic model options:
HM ¤ "Hunting Model" - magazine fed actions
BM & TM ¤ "Bench Model - Target Model"

They are available in both Right Hand and Left Hand Options.

The HM Model accepts magazines but also sports generous scallops on both sides for those that prefer single shot loading.

The BM Model has an enlarged loading area for fumble free single shot loading.

Lastly the HM Models are equipped with a safety located just forward of the trigger. The other difference is the weight of the trigger; on the BM/TM they are set between 4oz to 6oz and the HM/HMX are set between 6oz to 12oz. They are by far one of the best factory 2 stage triggers available. To re-iterate, they can be fully adjusted to the shooters desire; take up length, both 1st stage and 2nd Stage weights.

View attachment 3363

In Total RAW Offers 5 Different Actions to meets any and all needs. They are:
HM1000x -357 - the reason is the basic HM1000x needs to have enlarged magazine to accommodate the longer .357 pellets.
(Left side) the Small actions - HM1000 (Magazine Fed) & BM500 Single shot
(Right Side) "X-Actions" HM1000X (magazine Fed) & BM500X Single shot

View attachment 3369

The HM / Hunter Model action series is available in any calibre: .177 ¤ .20 ¤ .22 ¤ .25 ¤ .30 ¤ .357
Ranging in power levels from Sub 12fpe to 150 FPE which covers just about any need.
The HMX Actions are now manufactured with a 22 MOA scope rail with true Picatinny Spacing..

View attachment 3374

The TM/BM Series were the first airguns manufactured by RAW. The only difference between a TM1000 and BM500 is the stock and air bottle they are fitted with. TM stands for Target Model - where BM stands for Bench Model

The BM series guns are available in .177 ¤ .20 ¤ .22 ¤.25 ¤ .30
They are also available in both left and right hand models
These actions can support power levels between sub 12 fpe to the highest .30cal velocities.

View attachment 3381

II. Barrels

Before we go down the "Rabbit Hole" on barrels; one thing that I have been searching for before I started working with Martin was the Quest for the "Perfect Barrel", I jokingly I tell people about my "Barrel Library", but the truth is Martin has many more barrels than one could even try.

One of RAW's top goals is accuracy. All RAW airguns are tested before being shipped to customer - 90% or better are good to go the first time they are test fired. Every now and then they require some special attention and "Once and a While" they go to the "Tomato Garden".

Every gun is 100% before it gets shipped.

One thing that came as a surprise is that barrel manufactures give "NO GUARANTEE" of performance, in their eyes every barrel from the production line is perfect; I can't tell you how wrong that is, most of the time they perform extremely well, most of the time the average barrel will out perform the operator EVERY TIME.

Here is the trick. It is about matching calibre and velocity to a given barrel. For the most part pellets and calibres work well but every now and then things just go side ways - every airgun from RAW is tested for accuracy either at 50 yards or 100 yards. If it doesn't meet Martin's (Rutterford) strict standards, it will not ship! Have confidence that a person with almost 30 years experience in the airgun business has spent part of his week "Crafting , Assembling and Testing" the new addition to your valued collection.

Here are a few photos of different barrels... they cover the entire range ....
Blued, Stainless Steel and chrome moly, C.F Mods, Full Shrouds, Double Shrouds.... Barrels sleeved with C.F, Stainless, and the Titanium etc

View attachment 3389

View attachment 3395

Sorry guys. I am not going to go into any details on twist rates, lands and grooves, depths and widths; I have been told "Bamboo under My Fingernails" will be the Best I could hope for...hahahahaha...

Just have confidence that every effort has been made to give you the best shooting airgun possible. I continue to say, "There are no bad shooting guns", just bad pellet - barrel combinations. To date I have NEVER washed or lubricated pellets. I will perform some type of measurement and sorting process when preparing for competitions to ensure I shoot the best pellets for a given barrel and calibre. Not all pellets are created equal. That said, the pellet manufacturers for the most part do an excellent job.

III. Stocks

RAW Offers six basic stock options...

Field target - and Deep Belly F.T.
Benchrest
Long Range Target - (LRT)
Vertical Target
Thumbhole
Sporter

Additionally stocks are available in Walnut or Laminate (various colors), the Benchrest and LRT Stocks are Ambi-stocks. All others are available in either RIGHT or LEFT Handed versions."

View attachment 3406

View attachment 3415

View attachment 3423

Making a Stock:
Great write up
IMG_6108.jpeg
IMG_6104.jpeg

Reactions: Jaxjax
I have a pre-buyout RAW TM1000 .177. The thing shoots like a dream. I'm thinking about letting it go because I don't shoot it any more. Guns should be shot, not stored. My profile photo shows 3 shots per bull with that gun at 25 yrds on bench at an indoor shooting range, no wind. Dave
Pm me if you seriously want or decide to sell

My @ 2015 era "Custom" TM-1000 that when special ordered from Martin directly was a Mis-Mash of parts & pieces used threw out his model line at that time.

TM in Black ( Typically silver )
Bottled ( Typically Tube )
Bare 19" Barrel ( Typically Sleeved or LDC'ed )
Stock of choice as there were at that time IIRC 5-6 shapes / profiles, Walnut & Laminate woods

As it sits today here @ 8 years later ... very customized being part Jewelry Beauty & Match winning accuracy.

View attachment 385572
Extreme drool factor

THAT WAS THEN ... ( When RAW was owned and run by Martin Rutherford ) TODAY or sense a year or so ago is a far different reality !!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
:mad::mad::mad:

I have no experience with either pre Airforce or post, can you elaborate? How does the quality of both pre and post models stack up to AA, Daystate, Brocock or FX?

Last edited:
Reactions: KodiakJac
I have no experience with either pre Airforce or post, can you elaborate? How does the quality of both pre and post models stack up to AA, Daystate, Brocock or FX?
Suggest doing some research & reading. Don't think his thread is the place forTheoben ( UK ) / RAW ( Weapons ) / RAW ( Werks ) history. .. tho a separate post one could start to keep the clutter of subjects minimal.

Last edited:
Suggest doing some research & reading. Don't think his thread is the place forTheoben ( UK ) / RAW ( Weapons ) / RAW ( Werks ) history. .. tho a separate post one could start to keep the clutter of subjects minimal.
Ok, I'll do a search. However, this thread started off as a buying guide and you made statements about the current quality. I know you are a highly regarded tuner (magic-man!) so I just thought that you would share your insights to why you stated that in the same thread.

Last edited: