• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

The older I get, the less I like....

I agree with the last post on this thread. Hunting yes, target shooting no. When I am uncomfortable I do not shoot well so shooting groups doesn't tell me much and isn't much fun. A walk in the woods is always fun if I'm dressed appropriately and if I get a shot at something even better. It doesn't really get very cold in SC where I live now but it is still a matter of dressing appropriately. My son and I hunted in PA when we lived there but we had more clothes on.

I had no snow in my yard yesterday....now I have just over an inch. Then suppose to get to around 60 next weekend. The weather up here in ND has been bizarre this year. 

The temp changes mess with my joints something bad. If it is cold or hot it isn't an issue, but the swings are what gets me. And I am not nearly as old as some of you guys. Lol

I used to consider it a challenge to hunt in any weather. I still do, just changed my strategy. Started using pop-up ground blinds about the time I retired in 2008. I just smiled to myself when I would see guys walking by in the rain and they didn't even know I was there, because they had their heads down ducking the rain.

About five years ago, I found some relatively inexpensive hard side blinds for the gun club. We built our own elevated platforms and we now have a dozen of them placed around our 200 acre property. As simple as they are, it's heaven in bad weather.

EA2C5782-3056-4E1B-A709-8D0574C9EE44.1650255594.jpeg
​​​​​​​

I used to consider it a challenge to hunt in any weather. I still do, just changed my strategy. Started using pop-up ground blinds about the time I retired in 2008. I just smiled to myself when I would see guys walking by in the rain and they didn't even know I was there, because they had their heads down ducking the rain.

About five years ago, I found some relatively inexpensive hard side blinds for the gun club. We built our own elevated platforms and we now have a dozen of them placed around our 200 acre property. As simple as they are, it's heaven in bad weather.

EA2C5782-3056-4E1B-A709-8D0574C9EE44.1650255594.jpeg
​​​​​​​

Dreamy... Just ....dreamy.. But for me, no more acreage so it's not happening, as least right now. I love it! 

I would never imagine until happened to me January 6th. I was cutting framing in my heated garage, in-an-out, I think I was sweating as well dragging lumber to my basement.

And I got cold. No coughing or running nose, nothing, but to the extent that I started bleeding in urine and in a half day the colour turned completely all read. That night I ended up in Emergency, could not pee out the blood cloths and I was building those continuously and really busy. The Canadian government Covid rules - only life threatening surgeries... That was a day of tinkering. Only next day afternoon surgery room got free and they enter through a bladder to laser burn the capillary. Only next month started getting BCG in the Hospital for next six weeks.

In meantime I reached 62 I am OK now, up and running can't wait for range time. But this my own story is in front of my eyes...for tree months I did not leave the house, I was soo scared not to get cold again.

Watch yourself what ya doin and stay safe.

btw, today afternoon I got some 2-3" wet snow again....

I remember when I was a kid, and dad with the other old warhorses teaching me gun safety, shooting, cleaning etc, it was warmer. Like jeans, tee shirt and sneakers warm. I need my right hip replaced to go afield again. I miss it so bad. And it's ilegal to shoot outside around here. Not even a slingshot! I wanna get out shooting, plinking benchrest target shooting and fishing again. Don't shoot in rain or snow. Cold or warm I can work with.

It's funny how the immediate circumstances alter one's perspective. I had rotator cuff surgery last week, and I'm sitting in the sun room with the dog, running the ice water machine and looking out on a beautiful NC morning. And I can't shoot (or do much of anything). So, in 4 or 5 weeks, when I'm free of the sling, I'll be shooting, even if it's raining buckets or blowing a gale! 

I'm 72, and my wife tells me I should act my age. But I don't know how, I've never been this old before!

The older I get, the less I like….

... that it seems everyone on AGN has airguns that shoot "sub MOA at 100 yards all day long", and mine only occasionally shoot sub MOA, and then only in very good conditions. I feel like I've been ripped off every time I look at one of my high end airguns... ;)

...and then I feel a little better knowing that at EBR and RMAC 2021, even the top 20 Pros shot their 25 shots into an average of about 2 MOA at 100 yards, and even the two winners weren't sub MOA....

Mike, I have noticed, sub-MOA 100 groups are much easier on a keyboard than a rifle.

My bad on the topic. I wrote my response based on the title and then after posting realized that it was about shooting in poor weather...

Yeah, those keyboard guns are pretty awesome! ;) I haven't run the actual calcs, but to shoot MOA at 100Y for 25 shots at a real match, you'd need to score somewhere in the 235 to 240 range. And since no one has ever broken 230 at a major EBR/RMAC/PAC match, I'm pretty confident saying no one has shot MOA for 25 shots at 100 yards... Last year's high score was 229-8x.

The older I get, the less I like….

... that it seems everyone on AGN has airguns that shoot "sub MOA at 100 yards all day long", and mine only occasionally shoot sub MOA, and then only in very good conditions. I feel like I've been ripped off every time I look at one of my high end airguns... ;)

...and then I feel a little better knowing that at EBR and RMAC 2021, even the top 20 Pros shot their 25 shots into an average of about 2 MOA at 100 yards, and even the two winners weren't sub MOA....

:) ;) Ayup. Ain't as easy as it looks. It's all about how long the wind has to act on that projectile.

:) ;) Ayup. Ain't as easy as it looks. It's all about how long the wind has to act on that projectile.

Ahhhh, I see what you did there OC... That's probably why all the top Pros that shoot .30 caliber shoot at 880 to 910 fps with the 44.75 grain .30 caliber if they want maximum performance in the wind. Someone should tell them all that they should be at 1050 to 1080 FPS? LOL

Ahhhh, I see what you did there OC... That's probably why all the top Pros that shoot .30 caliber shoot at 880 to 910 fps with the 44.75 grain .30 caliber if they want maximum performance in the wind. Someone should tell them all that they should be at 1050 to 1080 FPS? LOL

No sir, I wasn't trying to be clever or cute. I believe you will find this post of Bob's over at AGG informative. It is dated but sometimes the old stuff ages well.. I guess I should add here that my perspective is often influenced by a comparison between the PB world and the AG world. Clearly the drift comparison between those two worlds is all about TOF. No hidden agenda. No animus.

https://airgunguild.com/index.php?topic=1172.msg12846#msg12846

It's funny how the immediate circumstances alter one's perspective. I had rotator cuff surgery last week, and I'm sitting in the sun room with the dog, running the ice water machine and looking out on a beautiful NC morning. And I can't shoot (or do much of anything). So, in 4 or 5 weeks, when I'm free of the sling, I'll be shooting, even if it's raining buckets or blowing a gale! 

I'm 72, and my wife tells me I should act my age. But I don't know how, I've never been this old before!

Get to feeling better! I had rotator cuff surgery last August and the surgeon messed something up! Got a second opinion in December because I was still in significant pain. Second surgery in January (new surgeon) and I'm finally feeling much better. Got out my FX Maverick (which I hadn't been able to lift) and got in a few hours shooting last Friday. Things are looking up!