The NEW Daystate Alpha Wolf Safari Edition!

Got one two weeks go from AOA for $149 and some change. Daystate provides on the web very easy to follow instructions. Word of caution. The new air valve does not come with the valve removal tool. You will need special 90
Thank you for the information. Would you happen to have the information on the 90 degree pliers you purchased for the installation.
Good to hear it is a pretty straight forward installation.

Wilber,

Thank you for the information. Would you happen to have the information on the 90 degree pliers you purchased for the installation.
Good to hear it is a pretty straight forward installation.

Wilber,

I used a Knipex part number 4621A21 bought off amazon just under $28
Agree take your time and pay attention to the wires and you'll be fine.
Less than an 45 minutes

Just arrived at the office. She's nice, ladies and gents.

Photo Apr 20 2023, 10 33 54 AM.jpg

Last edited:
A lot of firsts today. First Daystate. First Electronic controlled rifle/trigger. First time trying an Athlon scope. First time trying a 0db Moderator.

So on an extended lunch break, lol. I ran home, threw the scope on and quickly shot a few mags. I have not touched the tuning/settings. I have not cleaned the barrel. Just filled it up and shot. First two mags, I just wanted to see what the velocities were doing.
The current setting it came with is "2225" for .22, 25.39 JSB Redesigns.
1st shot was 887fps. Then, it settled right in within 5fps give or take around 940fps. After two mags, I waited 10 minutes, filled up two more mags and started the zero process. First shot after a 10 minute wait 937fps, and then again settled in around 940fps. That's a bit hot for my liking, but we'll tame it down when I have more time.
It only took a few shots to get the sights dialed in and then shot a couple of magazines at 50 yards. Pretty darn impressed with the grouping. Didn't have time to stick calipers on the groups but they were as good as I can shoot. Super tight, dime size groups.
First impressions are pretty good. Gun seems much more solid and dare I say refined than other brands that I own. I feel like I need to wear a monocle and produce a maniacal British laugh when I say that. ;)
The trigger is crazy good. Wow.
The Athlon Helos scope impressed for the money. Very clear. Like the features. I think I might like it better than my Element and Hawk scopes.
Not impressed with the 0db "Tactical" moderator. Yeah it does tame the noise some, and looks cool, but my Donny's do a much better job of taming noise.

If the weather cooperates, I can really put it to the test. Going to setup the labradar and compare the onboard chrono and get some BC truing with the current settings. Want to tame it down and then try some other pellets as well.
It was a pleasant hour and a half with the new Safari. Here's hoping that holds up. 🤞

Last edited:
Day 2.
Spent all day with it. So far, no issues. Not having the issue of dropping speed when resting. When turning it on this morning after sitting all night, my first shot was 9 fps lower than my average and that was the worst example so far. I've put more than 2 tins through it already. Accuracy is on par with as good as I can shoot. The trigger is definitely something to get used to. It is "mouse fart" light. I also find it a bit hold sensitive. But if I do my part, it is stacking them at 50 yards like a HAMMER! I still haven't changed from the pre set advanced mode tune "2225" that it came with out of the box. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 🤷‍♂️
I'm assuming these preset advance mode tunes are set up by AOA or Daystate? Anybody know? Anybody have some "magic" tunes they are willing to share?

IMG_2101.jpg

Day 2.
Spent all day with it. So far, no issues. Not having the issue of dropping speed when resting. When turning it on this morning after sitting all night, my first shot was 9 fps lower than my average and that was the worst example so far. I've put more than 2 tins through it already. Accuracy is on par with as good as I can shoot. The trigger is definitely something to get used to. It is "mouse fart" light. I also find it a bit hold sensitive. But if I do my part, it is stacking them at 50 yards like a HAMMER! I still haven't changed from the pre set advanced mode tune "2225" that it came with out of the box. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 🤷‍♂️
I'm assuming these preset advance mode tunes are set up by AOA or Daystate? Anybody know? Anybody have some "magic" tunes they are willing to share?

View attachment 350109
That’s good news GA.. will be following this thread and your progress. Hope you will keep posting us with your findings.

Reactions: GA_LeadHead
Interesting. I'm encountering the speed drop if I switch to the "Factory" shot mode and let the safari auto tune for a pellet.
I wanted to try .22 Hades today since I have a TON. Turned my reg down to 90 bar. Punched in the numbers .22>23">15.9g.>915fps...
It popped up a recommended reg pressure of 140! No way, my FX wildcat with a 500mm barrel slings hades at 905fps with a 90bar reg so I thought let's start here.
Kept the Reg at 90, and it took almost a mag to settle in close to 915. Hitting on the nose a couple of times. Then shot second mags for groups. WOW! Damn near same hole. Very impressive. I got excited. Until I waited 10 minutes, fired it up and tried again. In that time I setup my LabRadar to get more data.
First shot was LOW. 866fps on labradar. Same shot on alpha wolf screen sat 857fps.
From that point I just kept track of each shot via the Labradar. Two mags from a 10 min wait, here is the string:
I'm not liking that initial drop at all from Factory/auto mode. Then it seems as though it has to readjust itself all over again which takes several shots to settle in. In Advanced mode where it locks in the voltage, and dwell, It only drops at the most 10-12fps on the initial shot and then smooth sailing again.
At this point I see that "automatic" setting as a sales gimmick. Maybe great for plinking cans, but not for hunting or serious target use.
Surely there can be a software update that tells the computer to hold the last settings in the future.
Now I have to figure out an advance setting for Hades that I can lock in. Anyone have one they are willing to share?

Shot IDV0
1​
866​
2​
933​
3​
925​
4​
919​
5​
918​
6​
917​
7​
910​
8​
906​
9​
910​
10​
906​
11​
903​
12​
910​
13​
900​
14​
907​
15​
901​
16​
907​
17​
902​
18​
906​
19​
905​
20​
914​
21​
905​
22​
913​

Last edited:
Good luck GA.. watching this thread. I bought the Leshiy 2 in .357…
I’ll give this a try. You get that Daystate Alpha Wolf figured out and I’ll buy one but until that 1st shot drop is dealt with I’m out. To much money to act like that
It's just the "Factory" auto mode that drops for me.
Since that post I've punched in and came up with a rock solid tune in advanced mode. Didn't take that long. I looked at the preset for 18 grains and worked my way down until I found a tune that gave me 930fps consistently with 15.9 g JSB Hades. I really think the Auto tuning is both a sales gimmick and a way to quickly see if your rifle will shoot a certain projectile. When it comes to hunting and serious target shooting, advanced mode all day long for me.
I know each rifle will be different but my initial "tune" for .22 Hades is:
2000 dwell
63V
90 Reg
I think if I finesse the dwell in better it will be a scary consistent hole puncher.

Note, I also tried H&N 18.52g Hunter Extremes. It did NOT like those pellets at all. Horrible. Don't waste your money on those. I've yet to find a rifle that shoots those well.

***Update since I originally posted this response on the Hades tune.

I dropped the Dwell down to 1980 and found the sweet spot for me. Same speed but sounds better. Less air wasted. VERY consistent and accurate!

Rifle is a a little dream to tune so far. Use one of the factory sets as a baseline and go up or down off that accordingly. Having all of your adjustments on a screen makes it precise and easy.
If you can tune an Impact, this is a walk in the park compared to that.

Last edited:
Well, as of this morning, I'm now seeing the speed drop on the first shot in Advance mode as well. First shot is on avg 65fps slower than what my avg muzzle velocity should be. First shot 65 fps slower, second shot ~30fps slower and then consistent again. Let it sit only a minute or two it stays consistent. But let it sit 10 min or so and this happens.
Now, how does this really affect you? I waited 10 minutes. Put my rifle on my target at 30 yards and fired. Perfect bullseye. Next several shots continued to stack up in the same hole.
I'm sure out at 50 yards and further, maybe it would show a little drop, but how much? Enough to really affect you in a hunting situation? I'm doubting it.
Personally, with my eyes, I rarely shoot at a hunting target with pellets past 50 yards. And never usually past 60-65 yards. With my slug guns, that's another matter. But I'm not seeing this first drop as a deal breaker on paper.

Reactions: cavedweller
Well, as of this morning, I'm now seeing the speed drop on the first shot in Advance mode as well. First shot is on avg 65fps slower than what my avg muzzle velocity should be. First shot 65 fps slower, second shot ~30fps slower and then consistent again. Let it sit only a minute or two it stays consistent. But let it sit 10 min or so and this happens.
Now, how does this really affect you? I waited 10 minutes. Put my rifle on my target at 30 yards and fired. Perfect bullseye. Next several shots continued to stack up in the same hole.
I'm sure out at 50 yards and further, maybe it would show a little drop, but how much? Enough to really affect you in a hunting situation? I'm doubting it.
Personally, with my eyes, I rarely shoot at a hunting target with pellets past 50 yards. And never usually past 60-65 yards. With my slug guns, that's another matter. But I'm not seeing this first drop as a deal breaker on paper.
To each their on I guess.. for $4K I expect much better personally. And yes the greater the distance the more magnified the problem will be. My shooting pretty much starts at 50 yards. After a 10 min rest I was seeing a 3” drop at 100 yards. Ga- take a look at that first shot after letting your gun sit over night. Another thing I noticed was the more I shot the rifle day after day(I was cleaning the barrel) the problem continued to grow.
IMO for that kind of money you should demand better. I have a $500.00 rifle that does not do this. For that matter none of mine do.
Anyway, good luck and thanks for all the first hand posting info

Last edited by a moderator:
To each their on I guess.. for $4K I expect much better personally. And yes the greater the distance the more magnified the problem will be. My shooting pretty much starts at 50 yards. After a 10 min rest I was seeing a 3” drop at 100 yards. Ga- take a look at that first shot after letting your gun sit over night. Another thing I noticed was the more I shot the rifle day after day(I was cleaning the barrel) the problem continued to grow.
IMO for that kind of money you should demand better. I have a $500.00 rifle that does not do this. For that matter none of mine do.
Anyway, good luck and thanks for all the first hand posting info
Overnight 65fps. However, if it continues to get worse, it's certainly going back.
I'm still calling AOA first thing Monday and discussing. I agree that at the this price point one should expect better. I'm curious if it is a computer or a hardware issue. Is the computer reverting the settings back to a 'neutral' point that it takes a few shots to readjust? I was under the the impression advanced mode locks in a setting. If that is the case, why isn't it staying locked after it powers off? I definitely have some questions for them. And want some answers.

Reactions: cavedweller
Okay, did a little more work.
I got to thinking. The velocity drop was happening after I switched to 15.9g Hades pellets. My Reg was 90 bar. My voltage (hammer) set at 63v. Dwell was set at 1980.
This wasn't happening when I shot MRD's.
I switched back to the factory preset for JSB 25.39g MRD. Upped my reg back to 140. Bingo. No big velocity drops.
The factor tune for MRD is 140 reg, Dwell 2900, and the voltage 72.5.
That factory tune sounded loud like the the valve was wasting air, so I started working it down a little bit.
Ended up with Reg at 135, Voltage at 70v and the dwell at 2715. Getting basically the same speed and accuracy but it 'sounds and feels' better. Very consistent velocities.
Then I let it sit overnight.
This morning, fixed my coffee, went on the back borch and loaded a mag. First shot was only 12fps off of my avg and then it was spot on again.

I'm no expert but it seems as though maybe a light hammer on the hades tune was maybe the culprit of the drastic velocity drop? I'm puzzled. Hoping somebody smarter than me chimes in.

Last edited: