• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

The most important airgun in US History

Apologies if this has been posted before. This is a short video about the Girandoni air rifle that Lewis and Clark took with them as they traversed the country. It's a pretty cool video that I think many people here would enjoy. The NRA believes that it could be the most important rifle in US history.

http://nramuseum.com Lewis and Clark's secret weapon - a late 18th Century .46 cal. 20 shot repeating air rifle by Girandoni , as used bin the Napoleonic Wars. A Treasure Gun from the NRA National Firearms Museum.

This could be the most important historical gun in the history of the U.S. It was used by Lewis & Clark during their Corps of Discovery expedition from 1803-1806. The illusion of superior firepower this single air rifle created — opponents never knew if there was one air rifle or 38 air rifles — enabled the small band of explorers to safely travel from east to west and back again and claim an area greater than one-half of the landmass of North America for the U.S. The Lewis & Clark Air Rifle can be seen at the NRA National Firearms Museum in Fairfax, Virginia.

I got to meet Martin and Hank, the gentlemen who created a replica of this rifle at the Pacific Airgun Expo in 2013. They gave a presentation and had the gun available for people to try! It really was pretty quiet considering the power it produces. If I recall they also recreated a Lukens airgun from that era. I am amazed by the amount of skill and dedication required to produce this functioning historic replica!
John

The story that Martin told was that it took three generations to produce the original order for the Army, the guns were that labor intensive to produce. The air reservoir was soldered brass and took 3000 pump stokes to charge! The reservoirs were also prone to burst occasionally, usually killing whomever was unfortunate enough to be doing the pumping! 
John