• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.
The hunt started like this

Two days before “D S” dead squirrel day. “ What time we meeting”. “7am”. “You call Tony, and Mike” “K”

One day before “D S” . I send out this text “I’m leaving now so’s not to be late”. “I’m already there, camped out last night” “Got two guns and two air tanks” says Gerry. He’s just an excited kid. “Well” Tony pipes in “ Me’n Matt got 4 guns 15 tins of pellets and load’en up now and 4 air tanks.”

“Where”s Mike” somebody asks? I think he’s out practicing with the Blue Wolf he won so he can shoot’em in the eye at 231.556 yards on the run “Whose running the squirrel or Him?”

It’s him practicing for the Texas Rattlesnake Shoot. It’s an Airgun skeet shoot up in Boot Heel Gulch near the Texas Oklahoma line. They have a big feed after the contest, of Kansas turkey nuts and North Carolina mustard greens and ramp.

Guess the kids have a case of cabin fever.

Weapons and ammo : Boss .30 & Royal 500 .25 4 tins; Eddie R5 Super Mag .22 40ea NSA’s; Skyhawk .22 & Brocock S6 40 JSB’s; Eddy Leyla & Taipan & Bantam .22, & 15 tins, so others but can’t remember them.

Can’t sleep, up at 0 dark 30 gotta make sure things are ready. Head out, nope rush back for quick pit stop, now ready to go! Stop by the gag-n-puke drive up, grab a bag-o-grub and haul ass.

The boys pull in to the meeting place and I’m say’in my howdies but they are all laughing and pointing and howling. What the hell ???? guys. Gerry spits coffee out his nose and Mike is choking on burrito and tearing up. Jeezzuuz whats so funny. Tony speaks up all serious like and says well Nick your shirt is on inside out and the letters read something like kudorkomun, your pants are unzipped and the adult diaper is backwards with a brown spot on it!

Matt, his son and a June grad home from College, is new to the crowd and is trying his damnedest to keep his composure. Smart kid!

I crawl back into my beater and lead the hysterical melee a mile to the hunting grounds. I gather myself together and send them to the other end of the valley. Gerry and I tromp off to kill something in the other direction.

We set up and pretty quick we are getting some shots. Gerry pops a Jack at 94 yards and then a squirrel a little further out with his .30 Boss. He’s good at these long shots. I see a Jack about 60 yards and miss with the first shot hitting a big branch right in line with him. Jack another in and pop him good this time and he does a backflip into the middle of the dirt trail. I can’t get to him in time to catch the dying quivers in my frying pan. Darn they would’a been great for breakfast. I look over and see a big old Road Runner heading straight for Gerry. Gerry doesn’t see him until they are no more than 10 feet apart. Gerry stands up and Mr RR eyeballs him as if saying “I think I’m in love with you”. Gerry shoos him off and sits back down. That darn bird must’a circled him for 30 minutes. I worry a little about Gerry’s past.

I glanced over at the dead rabbit and saw something standing by it. Is that a baby wabbie? Get the binoc out and damned if it isn’t a big ass old squirrel trying to drag the Jack home for dinner. This rabbit is 4 times bigger than the squirrel. Well the little Skyhawk and Hades @880 ruined his plans. There may have been a miss in there somewhere but I doubt it.

An hour later and pretty spotty action Gerry comes up and shows me the message from the laugh factory crew at the south end. Matt 8 squirrels and 1 furbag, Tony 3 squirrels and 2 furbags, and Mike 5 squirrels @217,103,102,73,and 50 yards. CRAP…. Why did I give them the hot location! Gerry is giving me the stink eye. OK OK load up and we will go there.

You know the rest already. They had kilt everything or driven it underground. O sure we got a couple more but the hot bite was over and we had to concede this round to them.

Wait till next time ladies!

Nick

1590364954_11686275905ecb0b1a1ddcb4.54824772.jpg
What a fun time! Getting that squirrel on the boulder @ 123 yards made my day. Love those really satisfying shots (and the compliment from Centercut/ Mike affirmed my manhood for the day). THANKS GUYS! Always a fun shoot when we get together. 

What these old duffers didn’t say about my son Matt is he shot all his game from the standing off hand position or seated using a knee to steady the rifle. It was the first time he has shot an air rifle since his High School days in ROTC.... He did say something like “When you were my age you probably could shoot off hand”. Well my answer was NEVER like you Matt. He was 8th in the nation for NJROTC his last 2 years in high school and still holds the school record....Proud father still😎

Now once Nick and Gerry showed up Matt and I pointed out the earlier hot spots and called out a few squirrels for them. Gerry even went on a death march with his rifle and rest with Matt following...even heard Matt say Mr. Gerry I can carry your rifle rest for you....

The only bad part of the day for me was Matt was shooting MY Vulcan in 25....”Poppy I really like this rifle”. I’m searching his luggage before he puts it in the car and when it’s time to drop him off at the airport to catch his flight back to Reno....

‘Great time with friends and family...

Tony P

That's cool you guys are good friends and can enjoy great air gun hunting trips together. As well as having Pesty's son present and hanging out with old Dad! 

My two grown sons, who only visit occasionally, were with me this weekend and we went on an epic mountain bike ride, it was great just being together! Youngest son flew in with his serious girlfriend. She had never shot a gun before but was willing to give it a try. I got her hitting steel with my Steyr LGB1 PCP which she liked a lot more than she thought she would! So I told her that she passed the official initiation into our family, lol.

Great story Nick!