• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

The High Cost of Air Rifles - Why?

I own the Air Arms TX200 MkIII and it’s an excellent air rifle. I use it in places and at times when a firearm could not and should not be used. I’m not debating the owning of air rifles or their usefulness. However, I don’t understand why air rifles cost 2, 3, and even 4 times more than a good quality firearm. I think we can all agree that the Benjamin Discovery is an entry level (PCP) air rifle. I also believe that this is one of the least expensive (PCP) air rifles available today. And yet, I could purchase a .22 caliber Henry, Marlin, Mossberg, Remington, Ruger or Savage firearm for less than the cost of a Benjamin Discovery including the pump and scope. Again, I’m not debating the usefulness of an air rifle. Rather, I’m asking why they’re so much more expensive than a firearm. Firearms in this country are heavily regulated and those regulations extend to the manufacturing process. There’s a ton of paperwork involved which translates into people, man hours and cost. Someone may point out that the materials used in manufacturing air rifles are of a high quality but so are the materials used in firearms. Am I the only person asking this question? Benjamin Discovery/Scope/Pump $419.99, Ruger 10/22 (stainless) $369.99, Henry Lever Action $329.99, Remington 597 (heavy barrel) $249.99, Savage MkII $199.99, Marlin Model 60 $179.99, Mossberg 702 $149.99

My guess, assumption, and justification to my wife is significantly higher cost to manufacture and smaller market requiring higher profit margin per unit. This is all speculation on my part but the engineering and manufacturing tolerances required for a repeating PCP rifle far exceed my Ruger 22 LR. The only other theory have considered is that we in the US simply pay what price the PCPs bring in countries where firearms are restricted...similar to buying a fully automatic weapon in the US...10,000 or more for the privilege.
Anxious to hear more opinions on this as I am new to the hobby and have wondered the same but blindly have paid over 1000 for 2 of my PCPs and about to jump on a Vulcan.

I have been into firearms for many years to be honest airguns are much more complicated than a powder burner. Having an air supply and all that goes with it to propel the projectile is more complicated than striking a primer to initiate an explosive charge. That and far more firearms are made than airguns compare production numbers. I have a small manufacturing facility (I don't make gun or airgun stuff) in order to buy machinery to drop cost you must be able to sell what you make. I am talking very expensive machining equipment you must have the sales to cover this type equipment I don't see the numbers to make it profitable so it takes longer to make the same product using equipment that costs $100,000 compared to a facility that has several million invested. What would you do with 100,000 Wildcats a month who would buy them if you could move them you could drop the cost way down and buy better equipment and more automation like they use @ Remington for example?

I make boat stuff very specialized that is why people buy my stuff and spend more money than other parts that are mass produced. Hand crafted things cost more because it takes longer to make them and there is not always a huge market for them the more parts you make the cheaper you can make them that is the name of the game.

Mike

I wonder about life cycle cost? First cost may be higher but with ammo costs on PB's being what it is seems there's a break even point somewhere in the life time of the gun.

I like lot's of trigger time so for me it would be payoff pretty soon.

but there are on going costs for airguns too, especially with PCP's-- tanks, regulators, fill stations, tank fills, compressors, nitrogen tank rentals, etc...

I have asked this question to many manufacturers. Their answers varied, but always had at least one element in common: Air Rifles are more complicated. Creating a gun with an onboard powerplant is more difficult than making a gun that shoots a "self-propelled" ammunition.

Furthermore, power is not a fair measure of worth. There are many bicycles that cost more than vehicles. They are not faster than the cheapest car. But, they are much more advanced (for what they are). A HW100 is more advanced for an air rifle than a Remington 597 is for a rimfire.

Here's a $40,000 bike: http://www.switchedonset.com/2012/07/aston-martin-one-77-bicycle.html

I've recently discovered air rifles and rimfire and have wondered the same. I paid the same price for my Savage MK II BV rimfire as I did for my .22 Discovery and pump. The Discovery struggles to shoot empty .22 shells at 28 yards. The Savage has an easier time shooting them at 50 yards. The Savage is head and shoulders above the Benjamin in terms of material quality and craftsmanship as well as just plain amount of materials required.

One reason may be limited market share. Reading online forums you'd think millions of people are buying high end air rifles but in reality I bet the number is very small and for a company to make enough money to push new development they probably have to charge more per gun. Probably not much for earth shattering developments going on in .22 rimfire as opposed to air rifles.

Another reason is probably because people are willing to pay that much. If you can sell 10 guns at $2000 each why would you want to cut back the price so you have to build 50 guns to make the same amount of money? If the market were there to make up the difference by selling more volume it might work but is the demand there with air rifles? We all like to tout the free market until we're on the receiving end. ;)

Alan

I wonder about life cycle cost? First cost may be higher but with ammo costs on PB’s being what it is seems there’s a break even point somewhere in the life time of the gun.

I was thinking about this the other day. Figured it would cost me $2000 (likely more) to get a real nice .25 PCP, air tank, and accessories but no pellets. That same $2000 would buy me 20,000 rounds of quality .22 ammo at current prices. .25 caliber pellets look to be about 1/2 the cost of .22 rimfire so after that every two pellets would buy one rimfire round. I figure after shooting 40,000 pellets I'd reach the break even point. I'd have spent $4000 on each setup, ammo included, and fired 40,000 rounds from each.

Rimfire ammo seems to be becoming available and I'd expect prices to drop sharply once production outpaces demand. For the time being I've elected to concentrate on .22 rimfire for shooting away from the backyard and sticking with the Discovery for now in the backyard. That doesn't mean I still don't lust after a nice FX, Daystate, or Air Arms.

Alan

Just currious were you using cheap .22 LR ammo for a comparison? I shoot higher grade .22LR in my guns and it costs up to $15 a box of 50 rounds. for Eley and that was years ago before ammo went crazy I am not sure what it sells for now. I do have several thousand rounds of cheap .22Lr but I am just thinking if you compare cheap .22LR ammo you need to compare it to cheap pellets.

I have manufactured fire arms. Quality air guns are a luxury item and like others have said there isn't a big demand. You have basically a few companies in the U.S. Supplying everyone with FX one company that can actually import them. Compare this to how many powder burner places sell guns. I think FX is realizing there is a big market for the wildcat price point. Until air guns get more popular the price will stay up there. I decided I didn't need 5 high end guns I have to take to a range to shoot when I can buy 1 high end air rifle and shoot in my back yard and hunt with at night because it isn't a firearm. The airguns still hold pretty good value so the cost isn't that great if you have to sell one. A lot of people still don't understand the workings of a PCP so it makes them a harder sell.

"Gundog"Just currious were you using cheap .22 LR ammo for a comparison? I shoot higher grade .22LR in my guns and it costs up to $15 a box of 50 rounds. for Eley and that was years ago before ammo went crazy I am not sure what it sells for now. I do have several thousand rounds of cheap .22Lr but I am just thinking if you compare cheap .22LR ammo you need to compare it to cheap pellets.
I didn't take into account the higher priced match ammo which can vary from a little higher to a lot higher. My Savage will shoot sub 1/2" groups at 50 yards pretty consistently with CCI standard velocity ($.10/round) and from what I've read thought that compared pretty well to what most people were getting with JSB pellets in the nicer air rifles.

Decent match ammo, like Eley Club looks to be going for about $.16/round.

Alan

One of the factors is limited distributors. If one company gets to control the entire supply of a product for a market the size of the USA, they can sell that product for whatever price the market will allow without any competition. As far as I know, AOA is the single US distributor for FX and Daystate and maybe some other brands. If you want to buy one of those rifles and you are in the US then the rifle is going to pass through AOA's hands and they set the price. Yes you can buy the rifle at other stores here in the US but it will sell for the same price as what AOA sells it for or more. AOA is not only the sole distributor here in the USA but they are a retailer as well so they set the retail price and I would guess anyone else who is selling FX or Daystate airguns in the US have agreed to sell them for not less than what AOA sells them for. If another retailer doesn't follow the rules set by AOA, then AOA simply cuts off the supply of rifles to that retailer as they being the sole distributor here can do.

There are ways around this system and I had read that Joe Brancato of Airtanksforsale.com was looking into bringing new FX guns into the US, circumventing AOA. The problem with this is, what if the gun breaks. If AOA is anything like Nikon USA they aren't going to fix anything under warranty that didn't pass through their hands. AOA may not even fix it at all even with you paying for the repair. So unless Joe is going to fix it, you might need to ship it back to Europe for repairs.

If you search the internet you will find the 2013 price sheet which shows what price FX sold their guns to their distributors for. http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/message/1425157371/Michael+Wendt%2C+here+is+your+proof... The amount of markup from the distributor to the end user, at least in the USA, is absurdly shocking, over 100%. This also effects what other companies unrelated to AOA can sell there guns for. If AOA sold a BOSS with a 30% markup instead of a a 127% markup, it would retail at just $1150 or so. Do you think many folks would be paying $1150.00 for a new Air Arms if they could buy what many use in competition shoots? I really don't think so and Air Arms rifles would need to be sold at a much lower price than what they now sell for, because no one would be buying them.

I'm not trying to bash AOA or tell them what they should sell their products for and I've done business with them many times as I live just across town.......... But I will offer this piece of advise to whoever runs that place, HIRE MORE PEOPLE!!!!!! I have never just walked into the place and there was someone available to take my money, I've always had to wait 5 to 15 minutes before someone came out to help me. Never mind if there is a long line ahead of me. And their telephone service is no better, as I've never spoken to a real person without having to wait 10-20 minutes on hold or leaving my number and having someone call me back a few hours later. AOA you got a good racket going here. You sell quality products and your staff has always been nice when I've actually talked to them. (But I've found most people are nice when you're handing them thousands of dollars.) Please, I'm sure you're making a lot of money so invest it in hiring a few more people.

Reactions: keysersoze
Everyone where I live grew up with guns. It's a part of life and most have thousands invested in shotguns, centerfire deer rifles and the ubiquitous 22lr. I'm new to PCP's and joined the sport for the quiet factor. They're so much better than .22 cb shorts. BUT, no one around me even knows what I'm talking about when I mention a pre-charged pneumatic air rifle. Most of them have had a pump pellet gun growing up or maybe a $100 springer at most, but this sport hasn't even barely tapped into the available market. Manufacturers should be begging Ted and Bro to endorse their products, because if it weren't for you-tube I wouldn't be aware of PCP's either. But given the change in wind direction that IS occurring with firearms in the states I would say. BUY NOW WHILE THEY ARE CHEAP. I believe you will be waaaay ahead of the game. And load up on pellets too. Maybe even buy stock in FX?? If it's available. 

One thing airguns have in there favor cost wise is that they are not firearms so suppresors for them are not an NFA item. You take that same $450 savage, have a gunsmith thread the muzzle for $100-150, set up an NFA trust for $300-500 depending on your lawyer, $200 for the tax stamp, and $300-600 for the suppressor itself the money difference isn't nearly as much anymore. 

"Pfcskoug"One thing airguns have in there favor cost wise is that they are not firearms so suppresors for them are not an NFA item. You take that same $450 savage, have a gunsmith thread the muzzle for $100-150, set up an NFA trust for $300-500 depending on your lawyer, $200 for the tax stamp, and $300-600 for the suppressor itself the money difference isn't nearly as much anymore. 
That is absolutely true. I would love to have a supressor on my Savage but it's not legal in Iowa even if I did want to jump through the hoops and spend the money. If I didn't have access to private shooting land and a normally empty range within 10 minutes of my house I'd probably be fondling an expensive air rifle right now. And if the target shooting bug sticks into next year there's a good chance I will buy that nice air rifle anyway.

Alan

You only get "Competitive" prices when there is "competition"!
The general lack of competition in the manufacture and distribution of airguns allows excess profits to be made. Why does a Daystate magazine cost $120.00. Forget all the bs answers about low production rate high machining cost etc. Just look at the thing. This should retail for a heck of a lot less.
The rifles are the same. Complex? Many guys build them in their basements. An F35 is complex Airguns are basic stuff.
No competition = price gouging.
Red

We are really a small Fraternity -- when I talk to PB guys at my rifle club, they think I'm crazy with Air rifles ---they shake their heads when I tell them the prices but have no problem when I mention what an HK MP-5 cost-- or Custom benchrest rig ---
so if you take out the mass produced Gamos and such -- the market for our hobby is very small Indeed.
ill bet the total sales of all high end airguns is a few thousand a year- not the tens of thousands nesasary to increase production - drive down cost
and create competition. Most of the air rifles I own are almost hand made---
And This like all other hobbies is expensive - everything from Ping Golf clubs to Jet skis -as the poster above listed the carbon fiber bike -
Feed The Addiction!!😁
CK