• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

The effects of harder pellets on airgun barrels

Often I visit a local indoor airgun range. For whatever reason they only allow us to shoot lead free pellets. H&N Sport Green pellets are the ones i use when I am shooting there. Lately, I have been using Crosman Premier hollow point pellets in a pinch, because they are easily accessible. Both the aforementioned pellet brands are harder than the typical brands that I normally use which are JSB exacts.

What effects will harder pellets do to my FX Smooth Twist barrel, or any other airgun barrel? I also seem to notice that these harder pellets seem to foul my barrel quicker. Even though I lube with FP10 should I avoid harder pellets?

hy vince. i think ive tried every kind and brand they make. these new lead free pellets i dont like my accuracy goes to lunch and they cost more.i think u only get what 150 to the tin. i cant see any damage or see a lose in accuracy in my guns from the jsb or h&n or crosman. i would sugest u not use the eujuns they are really hard and tough to get in the barrel.do u shoot center fire? there is a huge rumor in the ar world about steel case missing up extractors and not sealing up in the throat.theres not a real suficent amount of evedince to this claim. if this fx barrel is that soft some one wouid have shouting by now. call AOA or pyrmyd air and ask them. the gun range is complying with some reg thye state or feds wrote up.i think ur ok but call thes guys and ask. love to hear what u come up with.

"murphy59"hy vince. i think ive tried every kind and brand they make. these new lead free pellets i dont like my accuracy goes to lunch and they cost more.i think u only get what 150 to the tin. i cant see any damage or see a lose in accuracy in my guns from the jsb or h&n or crosman. i would sugest u not use the eujuns they are really hard and tough to get in the barrel.do u shoot center fire? there is a huge rumor in the ar world about steel case missing up extractors and not sealing up in the throat.theres not a real suficent amount of evedince to this claim. if this fx barrel is that soft some one wouid have shouting by now. call AOA or pyrmyd air and ask them. the gun range is complying with some reg thye state or feds wrote up.i think ur ok but call thes guys and ask. love to hear what u come up with.
I agree. The lead free stuff wouldn't be my first choice for accuracy and yes, quite a bit more expensive.

BTW, I do not shoot center fire.

It's interesting because for my FX Wildcat at shorter ranges the Crosman Premier and JSB Exact shoot well. As mentioned the Crosman are about a third of the price. The only real difference I see is that the Premier pellets will have more flyers than the JSBs. I wonder if that is due to pellet deformation, but isn't that the reason Premiers are harder to avoid this deformation.

Until I hear that Premiers screw up barrels I'll continue to shoot them. Thanks for the reply!

I've had this conversation many times. The most accurate pellet with my .22 caliber, TX200 is the 12.65gr H&N Baracuda Green. Yes the tin pellets are harder and thus they provide better penetration. They also tend to be much more consistent geometrically (length, head diameter, skirt diameter) and weight. Like all pellets, results will vary depending on your individual gun. Prior to using the tin pellets I contacted Lothar Walther Precision Tools Inc., in Cumming Georgia and asked if these pellets would damage my barrel. They said "No, they won't damage the barrel". Concerning the price, tin is a commodity and its' value has been rising for more than a year. It's listed as 1 of the 5 metals most likely to disappear by 2055. It's hard to believe but more than 600,000,000 lbs are mined each year. I tried more than a dozen pellets with my gun and these rendered the best results.