• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Target and Sound - My Solution thanks to your input!

I've used big truck rubber mudflaps. The folks will give them to you for free. The mudflaps will tear or wear at the bottom and become unusable.Dump truck and concrete companies are the best sources. Brand new from a truck parts store or truck stop about $10-15.Check in with their service department as well for used ones.
A simple frame to hang them and as many as your caliber requires.

d6f7053309c9536bc2b265c2350dd41f.jpg
 Box filled with rubber mulch stuff is reusable also even after the box is warn out

Hey Guys,
Thanks so much for your input. After reading your comments here is what I came up with. Its a double sided pellet trap. The frame is just some scrap 2x4 cut so the interior is 12x12. The paper targets and everything inside the box is held in place by the 2 inch strips of wood going across the top and bottom.
271d9b522ec6f6315301d11567d5844c.jpg
2d40732c7045df12d54a4e8ff701c9c6.jpg

The dark brown layer is hardboard panel, pretty flimsy but the pellets don't make much of a sound hitting it.
7cf4a583a59670adb2aec12f1804db71.jpg

Then there is a layer of fiberglass insulation. I added it originally to suppress sound and was so surprised to see how much of the impact the fiberglass soften. 
ccebf3e699155861d5b86c33c8f111a9.jpg

The final layer is a really hard veneer.

95aaef7dbe3523ee14114ce09a1de88a.jpg

The reverse side is the same layer of materials.

Thanks for your help!

Bale of straw works for me. 2 metal tent stakes(rods) to hold the cardboard target on the face. 6 bucks, light weight, and silent. Fits perfectly in the trash bin when it’s wore out. Only the pellet hitting the cardboard makes sound. Paper targets make even less noise. Nothing to build, easy to move around. Use straw not hay the hay bales are heavy. Last a long time.

I found a piece of "rubber" belting on the road the other day. It is 16" wide and 8' long.. and about 1/2 thick. If I had a better cell camera i'd take a picture of it.. I bet it would be really good. Some of the ideas listed like a bale of straw or old clothes sounds good too. 
I don't target shoot so I don't have a target set up in my yard. I do have a golf ball hanging in a tree about 25 yds out. Took a old wire shirt / clothes hanger. And cut a piece about about 12" long. Used a cordless drill and drilled a hole in the golf ball. Then just left the wire in the ball. Loop the wire over a limb and you got a target.. 

For my needs, the target has to stop the pellet. Straw isn't going to do that. I like the golf ball idea but I don't have a place big enough to be able to shoot that without fear of hitting the neighbor's house.
So for me, the box of rubber mulch works well. Started doing that maybe 3 or 4 years ago. Still using same mulch. I've removed the spent pellets a few times though.

Crusher