Tank refill

Peter, I went through the same analysis as you did. Four thousand psi still gives me approx. a dozen bottle fills, which is plenty for me at $9 per tank fill. I just got tired of dealing with the dive shop. It really wasn't interested in keeping me happy because I'm not a diver. The service was marginal, at best. I am so much more happy with my own compressor. I can keep tabs on quality control, and my $600 tank is not in some storeroom overnight with Lord knows what kind of security. Further, I've seen the way the staff of some of these dive shops handle tanks; I'm not a fan :-(

If you want to check the pressure on your tank, get a deadhead. It is simply a plug that quick-connects to the female Foster fitting on the end of your tank hose. With the deadhead connected, you can simply open your tank valve to read the pressure on the tank gauge. I got mine from AIRHOG (https://www.airhog.com/index.php)

Thanks for the replys guys like the idea of that dead head will it fit straight on to my air Venturi tank hose ? I think it will , I had to buy an adapter for the fill probe for my bsa so I just quick disconnect the probe with the adapter & connect the dead head to the hose ? Sorry for the question but this is my first pcp , I know exactly what you mean about your tank I paid $550 for mine I have a gym / work bag that I carry / store mine in I took the hard foam circle packing from the box cut it into semi circles & laid it in th bottom of the he bag as a cradle 👍 Works perfect 

No worries, Peter. I asked alot of questions here on AGN when I first started out. (Still do!) The folks here have always been very helpful. AGN is a big part of my airgunning experience.

Peter, as long as your tank hose has a female Foster fitting on the end, you can use the deadhead. The deadhead has a male Foster fitting on it.

Yeah, I have a lot of $ invested in my airgun hobby, and I am very protective of it.

My deadhead is an indispensable bit 'o kit in my airgun repertoire. I use it on my tank right before I fill my gun bottle to track consumption (and to see if my tank is leaking). I also use it on my tank before and after filling it from my compressor. I like to keep track of these metrics to follow performance. It adds value to my airgun experience :)

So I was going out of town on Thursday & dropped off my tank at San Diego scuba center in Bonita 5 miles from my house told the guy "jesse" il won't be back until Monday he says cool I can really top it off, he also said it was good that i keep it inside a bag so it doesn't get scratched & damaged & he checked the hydro date , I went back today paid him $7 got home put my dead head ( thanks Marcella69) & I have a little over 4500 psi so I'm very happy 😁 Thanks everyone for your input 

I don't have a tank yet but I'm currently saving for a Great White SCBA tank from Joe B. I recently found out that 3 dive shops in my area will fill an SCBA tank to 4500 PSI. The farthest dive shop, about a 15 minute drive from my house charges a flat rate of $3.00 and it does not matter whether they fill it from 0-4500 PSI or from 3000-4500 PSI. The other 2 dive shops also charge a flat rate of $3.50 and $5.00 and they're only a 5 minute drive from my house. 

I hope everything works out alright for you, Peskadot671, but talk is cheap. I've found that dive shops will tell you that they have the ability and willingness to fill to 4,500 psi, but don't. I got fed-up with empty promises and poor service and I bought an Omega Air Charger, and am happy I did so. 

If you progress far enough in your air gun journey, you will get to the point where dealing with dive shops becomes a giant pain in the patoot. Filling tanks is a loss leader for dive shops and provide the service in the hopes of obtaining/maintaining business. Dive shops are not interested in servicing non-divers and their so-called service reflects that.

marcella69I hope everything works out alright for you, Peskadot671, but talk is cheap. I've found that dive shops will tell you that they have the ability and willingness to fill to 4,500 psi, but don't. I got fed-up with empty promises and poor service and I bought an Omega Air Charger, and am happy I did so. 

If you progress far enough in your air gun journey, you will get to the point where dealing with dive shops becomes a giant pain in the patoot. Filling tanks is a loss leader for dive shops and provide the service in the hopes of obtaining/maintaining business. Dive shops are not interested in servicing non-divers and their so-called service reflects that.

I wish I could afford a compressor like a Daystate/Coltri, Baur, or Sheldon but I also would have a problem having a compressor that weighs over 70 pounds shipped to Guam. I would have to use a freight forwarder and for something that size & weight, it would definitely cost over $1000 in shipping. I could also purchase a Shoebox which doesn't weigh much but would need to get all the necessary add ons not to include a separate shop compressor. I personally visited the dive shops I mentioned and they told me they always fill tanks for paintballers and they do not require dive certification. If all hell fails, I would purchase the Shoebox. But for now, it's hard to argue paying $3.00 for a fill. We'll see. Thanks for your insight.

Guam, huh? I spent a week there one day when I was in the Navy. Boy, you do have availability of goods and services issues! I seriously considered, for a hot New York minute, moving to Hawaii; the types of issues you have stopped me from doing that. I now live in SoCal.

To make a counterargument; when I did get my tank filled at a dive shop, even though it filled my tank to only 4,000 psi, I still got about 16 gun bottle fills on my 75 cu-ft tank. (This translates to 640 shots with my FX Impact 30!) So, you're good to go either way. Good luck!