• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Taipan Taipan Veteran II Tactical aka Ugly Fat Pig

You should like it they are very well built. I own a few mutants and a few veteran and have hesitated until now to try the Vet 2 and I am pleasantly impressed. I transformed my Std into a tactical and my tactical into an even heavier porker good for bensch shooting. The bottle has no valve. Must degas to remove. The tac has a small dega screw.

View attachment 390318
I really like the non bottle version, im not a huge shot count guy so thats where that comes from. The vet 2 has a massive plenum it appears, I wonder how they are with slugs hmmm

The std tube gun has std plenum size. The 700 mm is large plenum.
I put a 25 hammer spring in the 22 long tac and it loves 26 javelin at 1000 fps. Also 30 gr javelin at 950. Moa at 100 with both the std with the gray stock it came with is heavier and a std vet 1
Thats pretty awesome , the old vets really disliked slugs , 30 gr at 950 is powerful too.

Reactions: jdanvers
Thats pretty awesome , the old vets really disliked slugs , 30 gr at 950 is powerful too.
I respectfully disagree. I had tremendous success with AVS slugs 35g at 970 FPS for a 1 to 1 1/4 inch spread at 100 yards. Lotta factors for successful slug shooting.

I respectfully disagree. I had tremendous success with AVS slugs 35g at 970 FPS for a 1 to 1 1/4 inch spread at 100 yards. Lotta factors for successful slug shooting.
Any of the 3 I had didn't enjoy them, too much choke in the barrels. Also mine were factory fashion too, no upgrades, different barrels anything of the like. While you may have the exception and I can't argue with your results , MOST of the factory veteran ones did not like slugs. I was and am still an incredible veteran fan.

Yes. The std is a 25 and no choke. Loves 34 gr Jsb at 89
I really like the non bottle version, im not a huge shot count guy so thats where that comes from. The vet 2 has a massive plenum it appears, I wonder how they are with slugs hmmm
Why does everyone go .22? I'm hearing 60 grain boat tails are screaming out of.25 tac

Picked up a Veteran Tactical 2 a month ago in .22. I got it for shooting in local .22lr matches. The looks were not a priority for me but the accuracy and ergonomics of the gun were. I have an older Mutant that is very accurate with JSB 18.1 pellets so I assumed the new Veteran 2 would be as good or better. The rifle was built for slugs with an unchoked floating and tensioned barrel and even though the cocking lever looks like it sticks out and the shape of the knob is not as sleek as others, to me it is in a good position for quick cycling and the knob actually feels pretty good. The trigger is very good like all Taipans. I only have shot it a little before the weather got cold but out of the box it shot NSA 27.5 slugs very well & JSB 25.4 KO decent at 50 yds so far. Velocity was approx 866 FPS. Excuse the masking tape patches, I recycled the targets.

P1270060 (Small).JPG

P1270062 (Small).JPG

You should like it they are very well built. I own a few mutants and a few veteran and have hesitated until now to try the Vet 2 and I am pleasantly impressed. I transformed my Std into a tactical and my tactical into an even heavier porker good for bensch shooting. The bottle has no valve. Must degas to remove. The tac has a small dega screw.

View attachment 390318

That Vet 2 with the laminate stock and bottle looks great. Will they sell them in that configuration, or do you have to do it yourself?

View attachment 390318

My Vet 2 is also the .22 700mm long Tactical Synthetic. That full laminate stock swapped to the Tactical gives it a better filled in look and a forend to hold. The 700mm Tactical has an odd gap in the area between the rail and bottle. Installing a rail on the laminated stock would also be a good addition. May have to get one of those stocks and do a swap over.

Last edited:

View attachment 390318
What a vast difference in size!