• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Taipan Veteran .22 Compact ... Scope @ Rings?

• Thread starter Deleted member 49222
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 49222

In the process of getting a Taipan Veteran .22 Compact heading my way - first PCP. AN gave me the bug and had been following the classifieds & pulled the trigger. I actually didn't expect to go this route of a bullpup but the interest in something different kept drawing me to a Taipan. I need some help on scope and rings. Eyes are not great (age) and typically I'm shooting anywhere up to 100 yards for plinking or pest control. I have asked a few AN members and done some searching ... scopes come up. I have not seen anything on rings but my search kung fu lacks. I want rings that are solid quaility and don't chew up the rail. Here are the scopes I have selected but what rings? On my springers, always liked Sportsmatch, but don't know what would go with the Taipan and these scopes. First focal plane seems to fit what I do ... I'd say most the time will be doing work around 50 yards. Once everything comes together, I'll post a picture of the setup of my first PCP. Illuminated reticles really are not important to me. Appreciate the help & patience, thank you in advance.

Scopes.jpg

Attachments

• scope.jpg
    scope.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: ChickenDumpling
If you have aging eyes like I do, and are pesting, don’t overlook the benefits of an IR. Do I use it all the time? Of course not, but when I do am very glad to have it.
Maybe it was the quality, but the IR (green & red) washed out or interferred with the target. Perhaps it was too dark ... but it seemed to illuminate the inside of the tube even being adjustable brightness. Figured spotlighting works best. Never got around to trying out night vision setups. Finally, could be the user :O)

Understood, the quality of the IR is definitely important. I killed many a rat with a simple red light attached to my scope, illuminated or not. Also made many rat kills that would not be possible without an IR. A black reticle on a black/brown rodent in dark shadows for instance. For my usage the IR has definitely proven their worth.

I have a Taipan Veteran compact with a 44mm scope on it. I am just using medium height UTG rings. Nothing fancy. I find the medium height to be about right.

I second that a decent IR can be very helpful on a FFP, if you are going to do any close range shooting with the power dialed down, like squirrel hunting, the crosshairs can get lost easily when they are small.

-pg

The choices of scopes/rings are virtually infinite, so it's up to you. On my Veteran, I have an Athlon Midas TAC 6-24X. Since the Veteran comes with a Weaver rail, I used Burris Signature Z rings. I also like the Sightron S-TAC 6-20X, although it is a SFP scope. The Sightron is the better scope. Neither is an especially good woods scope. For woods hunting, I think a standard duplex CH in a medium thickness is hard to beat. It works well in weak light without the need for IR, yet offers sufficient definition for precise shot placement. Both rifles and scopes have evolved to a market of confusing choices, most of which are not needed. My advice, buy simple and practice hard.

Reactions: jdanvers
i would ask the guys that own the Taipan Veteran .22 Compact and see what they say, as for rings ? do not buy off Amazon only buy name brand rings .

P.S. i am very partial to Athlon scopes . Very acceptable glass and probably have a scope that fill your need without costing a small fortune .
alpha 6 Chinese scope ... not right for me. I'll revisit Athlon. Thank you ...

I have UTG P.O.I. made in America rings on two of my Vets and UTG quick-detach on another. The qd are cheap, but work fine. I even have them on a 7.62x39 AR15. I Sportsmatch ,BKL and Eagle Vision, all good rings. Take a look at the Athlon Talos BTR 4-14x44 FFP IL. Short, light, good glass, illuminated reticle dose not have flair in the tube and reticle stays sharp. I have one on my .25 standard Vet. The only rings I would not use if they were free is the FX adjustable. Eagle Vision and Sportsmatch are WAY better. Good luck with the Vet.

The realm of scopes is endless as are the answers you will get on which is best. I don’t think you will be disappointed in either you selected. Now rings are something on a pcp I will skimp a little bit on. I never have spent over 25 bucks on a set and have never had any issues. Pcp rifles have no recoil (relative) so you don’t need to hold ‘em like Fort Knox. I have several sets of utg rings that are like 15-20 bucks and really like them. I prefer high mounts on bullpups.

The realm of scopes is endless as are the answers you will get on which is best. I don’t think you will be disappointed in either you selected. Now rings are something on a pcp I will skimp a little bit on. I never have spent over 25 bucks on a set and have never had any issues. Pcp rifles have no recoil (relative) so you don’t need to hold ‘em like Fort Knox. I have several sets of utg rings that are like 15-20 bucks and really like them. I prefer high mounts on bullpups.
I have usually ran medium rings on other firearms & springers in relation to the scope picked - so high mounts more typical on the bullpup, even with the rail that far away from the barrel of the Taipan? Leaning towards the UTG as the Sportsmatch are up there in $. Do believe I have the 3 scopes in-mind & pictured above, just need to pick one.

Scope choice will depend alot on use...

If you envision your Vet as a woods walker needed to take quick shots on moving squirrels, rabbits, etc, you don't need much scope. And would actually benefit from a smaller scope for the weight/size savings.

If you think it'll mostly be a long range precision shooter, be that critters or paper, than you want more scope.

I had an SWFA 20x on my Vet compact for a couple years and it was great for my primarily longer range shooting at stationary targets. My Vets now have Athlon Midas Tacs on them, 6-24x. And they're perfect, but again, use determines scope.

I have usually ran medium rings on other firearms & springers in relation to the scope picked - so high mounts more typical on the bullpup, even with the rail that far away from the barrel of the Taipan? Leaning towards the UTG as the Sportsmatch are up there in $. Do believe I have the 3 scopes in-mind & pictured above, just need to pick one.
I find the medium rings are good on the Taipan. I don’t think high rings are required.

I know that @Apohlo has a Taipan Vet Standard, and has a cheek riser on his, maybe he can chime in what height of rings he is using.

First, I am not a good shooter by loose standards. OMG ... this setup is B@D @SS @CCURATE! Whatever that means, right? AN, why did I wait on a PCP? Not sure I'm keeping any of my firearms or springers after tasting the forbidden fruit. Those who actually know what they are doing with these, can't even imagine what you are up to! The Arken is a nice piece of kit too.

First, I am not a good shooter by loose standards. OMG ... this setup is B@D @SS @CCURATE! Whatever that means, right? AN, why did I wait on a PCP? Not sure I'm keeping any of my firearms or springers after tasting the forbidden fruit. Those who actually know what they are doing with these, can't even imagine what you are up to! The Arken is a nice piece of kit too.
Good stuff, ain't it?
Yep, sold my other PCPs and all my springers.
Love my Taipan shorties!
Two in .22 and a .25

20200209_120228.jpg