• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

SWFA SS 3-15 x42 Tactical...worth the cost?

AJ3

Apr 24, 2015
Hoping someone has some experience to share regarding the SWFA SS 3-15 tactical. I am looking for a good 50 yard target and varmint scope and would like something that may just be a bit superior to Hawke in terms of clarity and brightness in a tactical scope. Realize the SWFA is first focal plane as well.

The SWFA is a $700 scope and Hawke $450 so do you think the SWFA is worth the extra?

Thanks

I've got one, I love it. I really like FFP. Clear glass, solid build, light & short (comparatively speaking).

I normally shoot on high magnification. Some shooter say they like lower magnification. In my opinion airgunning is all about accuracy. I only shoot lower magnification if I'm tracking a moving target or trying to locate my target. The reason I bring up low mag is because the reticle size changes with the magnification on a FFP scope. Which some shooter don't like.

"Michael"I've got one, I love it. I really like FFP. Clear glass, solid build, light & short (comparatively speaking).

I normally shoot on high magnification. Some shooter say they like lower magnification. In my opinion airgunning is all about accuracy. I only shoot lower magnification if I'm tracking a moving target or trying to locate my target. The reason I bring up low mag is because the reticle size changes with the magnification on a FFP scope. Which some shooter don't like.
I have a FFP as well and love it. I looked at both SWFA ($700) and Falcon Optics ($420). The SWFA has a little brighter glass, in my opinion, and if you have the cash go for it. But for about $300 less I got an excellent Falcon 4-14x44 with red/green illuminated B20 reticle and I couldn't be happier. Sure the Falcon is not quite as crystal clear as the SWFA, but it's definitely close when I was comparing them side by side. What pushed me towards the Falcon was the fact that it had a red/green illuminated reticle which is not even an option in the $700 SWFA price range, and I preferred the Falcon skeleton line reticle over the open centered diamonds in the SWFA reticle.

Having said that, the SWFA is a great scope which I would highly recommend. I think the quality control and build is excellent and if it had illumination and the skeleton reticle I would have bought it over the Falcon in a heartbeat.

Now, my absolute favorite FFP scope is Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP with EBR-2C RETICLE (MRAD). Unless something else comes out, that will be my next scope.

I have the swfa 10 x. 299$ at swfa .com . In my opinion there is not a better scope out there in the 300 to 1000$ price range. By that I mean if you want a scope that works properly and is nearly indestructible swfa scopes are for you.
. Good glass
.Millquad retical with 10 mills of holdover
.matching mill turrets
100% reliable tracking
Focus down to 10 yd
Check link out for any questions. Hope this helps.