• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

SWFA SS 10x42, rear or side focus?

IMO, I think it is. With the side focus, it's easier to see your distance markers on the wheel while you're lining up your shot. Prior to purchasing mine, I also contemplated between the rear and side focus models used in a hunting or bench shooting environment. With the rear focus, you would have to tilt the buttstock down to see what settings you're on or to make adjustments. I vote side focus but I understand financial restraints and the $100 difference. Nothing wrong with the rear focus model. As a matter of fact, I'll be purchasing one for my Brocock Contour Elite so I can get rid of my God awful Hawke scope.

"Peskadot671"IMO, I think it is. With the side focus, it's easier to see your distance markers on the wheel while you're lining up your shot. Prior to purchasing mine, I also contemplated between the rear and side focus models used in a hunting or bench shooting environment. With the rear focus, you would have to tilt the buttstock down to see what settings you're on or to make adjustments. I vote side focus but I understand financial restraints and the $100 difference. Nothing wrong with the rear focus model. As a matter of fact, I'll be purchasing one for my Brocock Contour Elite so I can get rid of my God awful Hawke scope.

thanks for share your experience, are those a Leapers medium mounts?

https://www.leapers.com/prod_detail.php?mitem=mount&level1=Scope_Ring&level2=30mm_Ring&itemno=RGPM-30M4&status=

"Alpontigo"
"Peskadot671"IMO, I think it is. With the side focus, it's easier to see your distance markers on the wheel while you're lining up your shot. Prior to purchasing mine, I also contemplated between the rear and side focus models used in a hunting or bench shooting environment. With the rear focus, you would have to tilt the buttstock down to see what settings you're on or to make adjustments. I vote side focus but I understand financial restraints and the $100 difference. Nothing wrong with the rear focus model. As a matter of fact, I'll be purchasing one for my Brocock Contour Elite so I can get rid of my God awful Hawke scope.

thanks for share your experience, are those a Leapers medium mounts?

https://www.leapers.com/prod_detail.php?mitem=mount&level1=Scope_Ring&level2=30mm_Ring&itemno=RGPM-30M4&status=

No. Hawke high rings.

Rear focus all the way. To me it is much more ergonomic, I have a nylon coaster on the parallax positioned so the knob is to the right, that way I can hold the gun up with my left hand up front and adjust the parallax with ease (hurts my wrist to hold the guns weight in the grip using my left for parallax). It is also no issues adjusting with my left hand when prone. I know it's personal but if I had a choice I would never again buy side focus and only have rear, it is just more ergonomic to me.

Here is one of my 2 SWFA 12x42 next to the Edgun 12x42. SWFA is better and cheaper

I prefer side focus. I have a bug buster on a airsoft sniper rifle, I have the protective flip cap mounted so when open, it's nearly touching the stock at *50yds, I use the cap to adjust the AO with thumb to *decrease range and can guesstimate range by the angle of the cap. Have two side focus scopes Athlon Argos BTR and UTG Swat -so much easier to use, with the 80mm side-wheel on the UTG my left hand thumb can adjust easily -while on target...looking for a side-wheel for the Athlon -loving the SPF APMR recital. But like most things over time you'll get use to it, think about those old muzzle loaders the mountain men used -practice practice practice.

*edit, dyslexic memory, picked the rifle up yesterday and saw my minds mistake!

"Erik"Rear focus all the way. To me it is much more ergonomic, I have a nylon coaster on the parallax positioned so the knob is to the right, that way I can hold the gun up with my left hand up front and adjust the parallax with ease (hurts my wrist to hold the guns weight in the grip using my left for parallax). It is also no issues adjusting with my left hand when prone. I know it's personal but if I had a choice I would never again buy side focus and only have rear, it is just more ergonomic to me.
Here is one of my 2 SWFA 12x42 next to the Edgun 12x42. SWFA is better and cheaper
I agree. I have a SWFA 3-15x side focus and it does strain the wrist trying to hold the gun with the right hand and move the side focus on the left side. Would be better if the side focus was on the right side but then that would deviate from all other gun scopes.

Rear focus is less money and works better for those that are walking about and shoot while standing. I think people that just shoot off a table might prefer the side focus because they always have something to support the gun.

Side focus. Put a wheel on it for better ranging. Extra $100 is a cheap price compared to a good range finder. Plus I hate fiddling with a range finder while you have a perfect shot. Most of the time I just forget in the car and have to guess a range, which is always wrong and I miss. For now on, I will always have side focus and a pimped range wheel on my guns.