Surprise Coyote Hunt

Half an hour ago about 20 minutes after sunset I was looking for the cat to put him inside for the night since many predators lurk over my 480 acres. I always walk around looking for him with my .25 Cricket. Well tonight he came from a hiding place and then began to crouch down indicating he saw something. I looked up and less than 50 yards away was a Coyote cruising across my field of view. I brought up my Cricket, flipped open the front scope cover, (I had just adjusted the parallax to 50 yards) Took aim on the moving Coyote and let one go. I hit him behind the shoulder in a for sure lung shot from the way he spun back on himself. He then proceeded to run directly away into my front field of knee high grass. He went about 100 yards then I lost sight of him. He either went down or laid down. It was too dark by this time to look for him so I know what I will be doing in the morning. I doubt I will find him, if he is down, due to the grass but I regularly feed my kills to a couple of Turkey Buzzards that are now trained to stop by to see if there is a meal. If I don't find him they will ;) . Man am I sorry I did not have my camera attached this time.

Thurmond

Good job. Effing cat killing yotes. Hate em.

I have to do the same thing each night with my young cat. The older cat has made it 9 years in coyote country so I figure he knows his stuff. Hope he can impart something to this young blood. He thinks he's hot stuff. Can't even kill the mice the older cat brings in for him. Just plays them to death.

Thanks Exziver, I love your videos. They are what convinced me to get the Cricket .25. I often wished I could hunt those woods of yours as there are no tree rats here....until I saw and heard those infernal little vampire bugs of yours. LOL

Actually I feed those buzzards quite a lot (mainly raccoons trying to get my pecan crop and a few rattle snakes). I am just glad I haven't fed them any of my beef for a while. They usually check in at least once a day.

Thurmond

I just shredded it down in that field about a month ago. It's far cheaper than spraying it every 2 years and just as effective. The cattle and horses also eat a surprising amount of the young shoots. 3/4's of my place IS Mesquite. I just need a BIG chipper and a 2.25" pellet mill and I would be in the BBQ pellet business. LOL

Thurmond

"T3PRanch"I just shredded it down in that field about a month ago. It's far cheaper than spraying it every 2 years and just as effective. The cattle and horses also eat a surprising amount of the young shoots. 3/4's of my place IS Mesquite. I just need a BIG chipper and a 2.25" pellet mill and I would be in the BBQ pellet business. LOL

Thurmond
I actually love mesquite. You just have to control it. We let some of it grow up to like 6 in trunks and then lay it down for cooking wood. We have areas where some of the trees are probably 75 years old. We have some elk here and they love the beans. I know where some elk will be when the beans are mature.

Pellets: Just cannot beat a pellet fed smoker.

Great job!

I hate hate hate yotes....very few things in the world I can honestly say I dislike that much. Yotes need dirt naps!

Yotes are what brought me into PCPs about two years ago, when they started to come into our back yard.
We live in an urban area, (suburban setting in Orange County with houses 20' or less from each other. We have a small backyard 75'x50' with a 6' block wall).

One ordinary night I let my pup outside for a quick pee. I opened our back patio door, let him out and I stood at the door waiting for him to do his "business" so he could come back in and we could go to sleep. Soon as he stepped onto our grass he was ambushed by two of them. I opened the door and yelled and immediately ran towards him....was a matter of seconds but they pinned him down and made quick work of him. Raced him to a 24hr Vet ER, they stabilized him then he had surgery the next morning. $6k in vet bills and he died a few days later. 

Since then I have killed every yote that has dared come near our house (8 and counting so far)
Neighbor dropped 3, one with a pitchfork, another w/ a crossbow & one w/ a .22 rimfire.

Words of the wise to anyone reading..kill them if they get close or frequent your house.
Rain some lead on them, don't let what happened to us happen to you!

Again nice shooting!