• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Strelok Issue: Turret clicks don't match reticle holdover

I just started shooting field target recently and have been using my elevation turret to adjust for the various distances of the targets, shooting in unlimited class. When I started out, I used Strelok Pro to determine the number of clicks for each target distance and the numbers Strelok provided are spot on. Now I'd like to move to hunter class, which doesn't allow turret clicks to adjust for each range to target, you have to use holdover. I'm trying to use the reticle feature in Strelok to determine the required holdovers, but the Strelok reticle view is way off. For instance, at 12 yards, Strelok is telling me to holdover two hash marks on my MOA 2 SFP Sightron scope at 16x. With this holdover, the pellet POI is around 3/4 inch high. Through trial an error, I determined the POI is actually only about 1/2 a hash mark hold over. I double checked to make sure something wasn't out of wack, by clicking my elevation turret (the four clicks Strelok suggested) and the pellet hit exactly where I was aiming. I can't figure out why there is such a discrepancy.

Any ideas? Been trying to figure this out all day and getting nowhere.

Todd

I tried to replicate the issue. It appears that the problem is in the input values within the scope setting (in the app).

Go to the scope, click on that to set up the numbers as you have it dialed in for. Scope zero distance and scope height are fairly important. Next of importance on that page, at the bottom, is the "Max magnification" setting. That should be set at "16"

Also, when looking at the "reticle view" has a slide bar that needs to be slid olall the way over to the right at an 16X magnification so the reticle appears as it does in the scope (if actually using the scope's magnification at 16X

I put my "Scope Zero" at 40 yards so I am holding on the center cross hair for the most part. Putting the scope's zero right around there, within a few yards, makes for the flattest shot range and you only dial up or hold over for the most part.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty911

Screenshot_20221130-004404.png

Screenshot_20221130-004224.png

Screenshot_20221130-004246.png

Last edited:
For field target the only way I’d attempt this is to shoot a target at 5 yard increments and mark down the results. Too many variables to do this on math alone.

Also turret clicks rarely match the labels. The only way to know is to do a box test at known distance for each scope. Not all scopes even track consistently. Sightrons are pretty good but their variations are measurable.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldSpook
If everything else is set up correctly, then you need to calibrate that scope. That's the box test the previous poster mentioned. I also agree easiest way to get that sorted correctly is to shoot the rifle every couple of yards from the minimum range to the maximum range and then graph the trajectory on graph paper.

Last edited:
Reactions: dgeesaman
1) Make sure FFP checkbox is turned off (for your SFP scope as stated) and that the magnification settings are correct. Double check scope height and reticle type. The reticle and reticle units should match, sounds like it should be all MOA.

2) As @dgeesaman suggested, set up paper or spinner targets every 5 yards and collect your own holdover data to make a dope chart to get started immediately. Inexpensive steel spinners and white spray paint work well. You can do it with as little as one target set and move it to all the distances if you're patient. You can figure out the virtual ballistic data and settings later to match your empirical data.

GL and have fun,
Feinwerk

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
Thanks guys, I guess I'll have to go back to the boxes, and determine hold over manually. The thing that really confuses me is that the turret clicks Strelok determined were spot on. I shot in a match last week and I double checked the distances/clicks, in five yard increments, on the sight in range and the cross hairs were right on the POI at every distance. So, it would seem logical to me that the suggested holdovers in the app's reticle view should be accurate too.

So I'm determined to figure out what I'm doing wrong (I won't let Strelok beat me, Ha!). I went out this morning and figured out that the app's reticle is suggesting I hold over exactly twice what is necessary (ex 12 should be one hash mark but Strelok says two). I checked this at other distances and the ratio (double) held at those too. I found a work around. In Airgun Hobbyist's second attachment, where he has 20 in the ranging magnification spot, I had 16 (which is the magnification I'm using). I doubled it to 32, while still leaving my scope at 16x and moving the slider bar in the app's reticle diagram to 16x. This changed apps suggested the holdover to one hash mark at 12 yards, and I'm hitting the target spot on now. Tested at a couple other distances and worked for those too.

Anyway, I should probably just let it go, since this will work for me, but I still want to figure out what the issue is. Sounds like this app is driving me a little crazy (muhahaha!).

Anyway, thanks again for your help guys.

Todd