• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Steyr LG 110 High Power Hunting .22 Info/Review Please

Eli

Apr 26, 2015
Ohio
Can the people fortunate enough to have (or have had) the Steyr 110 HP Hunting .22 please reply with some comments, observations, pros, cons, etc. about the rifle. I'd like to know shot count people are experiencing. Is the rifle worth the premium price vs. other slightly lower priced rifles? In other words, does the Steyr yield more benefits vs. other lower priced, higher shot count rifles? Thanks for your time and comments. (I've seen the YouTube videos.)

"Eli"Can the people fortunate enough to have (or have had) the Steyr 110 HP Hunting .22 please reply with some comments, observations, pros, cons, etc. about the rifle. I'd like to know shot count people are experiencing. Is the rifle worth the premium price vs. other slightly lower priced rifles? In other words, does the Steyr yield more benefits vs. other lower priced, higher shot count rifles? Thanks for your time and comments. (I've seen the YouTube videos.)
I purchased a Steyr LG 110 HP rifle a few months ago in 0.177. On the plus side it has what I believe is the finest non electronic trigger installed on an air rifle. I should have purchased it in 22 cal. The 177 pellet is superbly accurate out to ca 25 yards but at 50 yards the wind has a very noticeable impact. The only minus is the lack of a magazine thus one has to single load the pellets. I the accuracy department it is comparable to my Daystate Airwolf at 25 yards and at longer distances the Airwolf outperforms the 177. At 50 yards and beyond my 22 Cricket will outshoot the 177.

"travels4fun"Mike says he got 46 shots on one fill in his YouTube video review. He says this 8 min 44 seconds into his video.
Yes, but he also said he had the extended air tube and a full AZ tune. I'm not sure if the 110 high power has the extended air tube factory installed. Can someone with an "out of the box" rifle comment on the shot count of the .22?

"travels4fun"Mike says he got 46 shots on one fill in his YouTube video review. He says this 8 min 44 seconds into his video.
That sounds about right. I had AZ chop a few inches off the barrel thus requiring more air to send the pellets at the desired speed. They're aren't the most efficient guns, but they sure are nice. 

My only complaints were price, single shot, and noise. You can purchase the Hunting 5 which incorporates a 5 shot magazine. The design makes it difficult to add an LDC (unless you want to add 6-8'' onto the length) but its really loud without one. Everything can be had a price. Is it worth the price?... in this case high quality + high accuracy = high price.

But I wish I still had that rifle.

"Michael"
That sounds about right. I had AZ chop a few inches off the barrel thus requiring more air to send the pellets at the desired speed. They're aren't the most efficient guns, but they sure are nice. 

My only complaints were price, single shot, and noise. You can purchase the Hunting 5 which incorporates a 5 shot magazine. The design makes it difficult to add an LDC (unless you want to add 6-8'' onto the length) but its really loud without one. Everything can be had a price. Is it worth the price?... in this case high quality + high accuracy = high price.

But I wish I still had that rifle.
Is the accuracy that much better than other popular models (e.g. FX, Daystate, Air Arm, RAW, etc.? I'm not fortunate enough to have multiple rifles to compare to and obviously, I haven't held or shot the Steyr. You mentioned a complaint you had was noise. Is it loud even with the shroud you had AZ install? I really don't mind the single shot aspect of the rifle. I'm looking for (in this order); (1) accuracy, (2) loudness, and (3) power. is there a better rifle option that comes to mind?

Thank you everyone for your responses.

"madbrainair"Hi
I see the very good Michael´s review,
I´need information about the moderator wich has its Steyr because I´have a equal.
I wonder if it was purchased, where, or if it did.
From already thank you very much.
The factory Steyr barrel is not threaded but Steyr makes an adapter which fits on the barrel with set screws and has a 1/2 x20 thread at the end. I used a moderator from an old Logan but you can purchase other moderators with the same thread.

I originally started this topic with questions regarding the Steyr LG110. I ended up getting one and I'm glad I did. I enjoy target shooting and the accuracy you can achieve is tremendous. However, yes, they are LOUD without a moderator. When I purchased the rifle I also purchased a Steyr moderator adapter (search this on the Internet and you'll find out all you need to know). It attaches securely with a set screw and the moderator of your choice can be threaded on (make sure the threads are compatible).

Another option is to thread the barrel. But, I'd buy the adapter before I did that.

Another option is to contact someone who fabricates custom moderators. I messaged Neil Clague (he's on the forum) and he made one for me. It attached with set screws also. It slips over the barrel all the way to the air tube and extends past the barrel approximately 5 or 6 inches. I'm happy with it. I also have a Daystate Wolverine B Hi-Lite .22 with the Huggett and full shroud. It's know to be a very quiet .22. I shot both the Daystate with the Huggett and the Steyr with Neil's custom shroud and several people all said the the Steyr might be just a little louder, but it's hard to tell a difference.

Najiam,

The opinions of these two rifles regarding accuracy will vary between shooters. So, I can only attest to my experience and observations. I have never been fortunate enough to test these rifles for accuracy indoors. All my limited shooting is outdoors with accompanying environmental variables (wind, humidity changes, etc.). With that disclaimer out of the way... Here's my observations on accuracy between the two:

At 50 yards, shooting from a random tin of pellets (i.e. no sorting, cleaning, lubing, etc.) groups with both rifles are very similar. I think if you compare 10 to 20 5-shot groups you may see slightly smaller groups with the Steyr. And this is straight filling the rifles to full and shooting until they need filled again to continue. In other words, not only shooting at the "sweet spot." I'm saying this mainly for the Daystate due to it not being regulated. You can find the sweet spot and it shoots nice. The downfall to the "sweet spot" is the shot count in this range is low for a bottle gun in my opinion. 

Now, if you weigh, sort, clean, and lube the pellets the Steyr groups are consistently better. To me, there's a positive difference with both rifles in my grouping with sorted, cleaned, and lubed pellets. Again though, my Steyr will group better with these pellets. 

Both rifles have more than adequate hunting accuracy if that's mainly your concern. When hunting I grab the Daystate 80% of the time. When target shooting I shoot the Steyr 95% of the time.

Hopefully this helps you. If you have more questions let me know.

Incredible, five years later and I'm asking the same thing!
what is the shot count of the Steyr Challenhe HP .22 (successor to the LG 110)
I'm buying one and I ordered it from the factory with the longest air tube, 550mm barrel, 40 joules of power.

Regards

Jorge

Shot count should be the same between the 2.

My LG110 gave me 23 good shots with the normal length tube, and around 40 with the longer tube.