• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Steyr Hunting 5 Automatic - Loading pellets into the magazine

I just bought a beautiful Steyr Hunting 5 Automatic from AJ.

624909fe02b869f71051c13db8c94e39.jpg

I have JSB 15.9gr pellets that measure 5.52mm in a PelletGage. I dropped them into the magazine without applying any pressure, as shown in the picture below. 

27a5baafc6d65bde6178d5b2156f1317.jpg

Is this the normal height BEFORE applying pressure to push them into the magazine so that the skirts are flush? I don't know what amount of force I need to apply, but I'd like to hear from others before trying. I don't want to damage the only magazine I have.

(Also, I just wanted to test the new photo feature on the forum and this gave me an excuse)

That is what it looks like and it should just go in without much force and I would push them straight in with my finger tip to seat them at least a mm more than just flush so they are all seated inside and not just flush.
I wouldn't worry about damaging the magazine by seating the pellets with your finger and it shouldn't take much force to seat them if you use normal pellets. I do not recommend trying to shoot slugs through it.
Note there is an etched picture of the pellet on one side of the magazine to indicate which direction to load them. Enjoy!
AJ

Reactions: RockBall
Yup, thats the right way. I wouldn't worry about the soft lead damaging the magazine. I found that the 5.53 fit best in my magazines. Sometimes the smaller heads slip around in the magazine and you have to make sure the pellets don't get unseated when you try to insert the magazine. The bigger question is which pellet shoots best out of your barrel?!

Ive found that the pellets that need a little push to load them into the magazine tend to shoot better out of the H5 rather than the ones that drop in easily.. The lead is not gonna go any damage to the magazine.. Just make sure the pellets aren't ridiculously tight to the extent where the pellets get damaged on their way in or don't get flush with the magazine.. 

I received lots of good feedback. Pushing those pellets into the magazine did not take much force afterall. As others suggested, I found that the size of the pellet mattered when it came to how well the gun shot.

Normally, I would post target pictures in the 'Target Shooting' section, but I am going to show some here because I feel it is relevant to the magazine and this thread.

I took the gun to an indoor 100-yd range to test it out. To travel light, I only took 4 types of pellets: JSB 15.9 and 18.1, and Air Arms 15.9 and 18.1. I started off at 25 yds. Here are the results:

7c334c85c60c244715dd3b52f6284b2b.jpg

(1 inch squares)

Needless to say, I didn't see any point in shooting at 50 yds. I didn't know what was wrong. Maybe the gun was damaged in shipping, but I believed the gun was good. I figured it was something that I was doing wrong.

AJ suggested that I shoot Crosman and H&N pellets in it, since that is what he used with the gun, and it was very accurate. I had some H&N FTT 5.53 pellets so I sorted them using my PelletGage. The measured pellets fell mostly into two groups: 5.55mm and 5.54mm. I tested both on my 14 yd target and saw a big improvement.
057748d43e9253d987fe6a5731ac2385.jpg

I went to my brother's house the next day where I shot at 30yds first. I tried the H&Ns, several types of Crosmans, and the JSBs. None of the groups were good. It was fairly windy, but not enough to cause the problem. I didn't bother taking any pictures.

My brother was shooting his BSA R-10 Mk2 with lubed JSB pellets (at the suggestion of Allen Zasadny) and getting very good groups. He suggested I try his lubed pellets. After 2 magazines, the difference was night and day. After shooting many consistent groups within 5/8" at 30yds,
2a4fdfb9ccb7ca7b5b3288e231739c07.jpg

I decided to try the 50 yd range. Even with some wind, the groups were good. Here's my best group of the day, shot with the same pellets that I used the day before at the indoor range, only this time they were lubed with Napier Power Pellet Lube:

b6d0eeb74282ee26f33bcc90edcf0634.jpg

I used OnTarget TDS to add the measurement info (CTC: 0.299", etc).

Here's a photo of the target for reference. We use a self-inking stamp from Office Depot to place multiple targets on the back of paper plates. The punched holes tear very little.
1547cf557db81be5a045448acd6e3291.jpg

(.22 cal pellets)

I could be wrong, but I think the lube that got into the magazine made the difference.
0c2b7e9a0c9103116c3cf5a0f6774908.jpg

I feel that size consistency is important in this magazine, so I will look into finding larger pellets and sorting or sizing them down to make them the exact size needed. I will try to end up with the 5.53mm diameter that Michael suggested.

I will be getting two new magazines from Penchetta which I plan to experiment with. I'm going to condition one with Teflon grease to see if reduces the amount of friction between a tight pellet and the magazine. I hope that it makes the pellet speed more consistent, since the pellet is fired from within the magazine.

Any suggestions on other things to experiment with?

its best to get the same thickness front and rear of mags, if you're dealer has or willing to use a micrometer to measure. 
I had 4 identical size mags so the ES are vary close to each other, the barrel and mag clearance are set for all 4---->have the minimum clearance so the
mag will advance without jamming ensuring the best auto seal possible to get the lowest ES and top speed. 
I had 2 mags that are .03mm under size resulting in 10-15fps slower, so I don't use them and sold them on the yellow.
if you have too much clearance between barrel and mag you will have more air blow by, you can feel it when you put your check over the mag port. 
most will think this is normal.
on the barrel mounting screw near the mag has an offset seat on the barrel when tighten the barrel will move aft, when your done adjusting the clearance the 2 set screw is tighten 1st screw you leave along. 

This gun will probably end up being the most accurate airgun in your collection once you start weighing and sorting your pellets by size just as I have done. I have never shot lubed pellets through it in fear it may possibly adversely affect the reliability and functionality of the semi auto cycling mechanism with lubricant building up and seeping into unwanted areas as well as being a dust and grime magnet. I may have given some thought in the past as far as possibly considering some sort of a dry lubricant instead which would not be prone to build up or unwanted residue.
Have fun
AJ