• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Starting over

Hi there ,

Its been sometime since I have owned an air rifle, but the time has come to get going again .
I have a short list and would value the opinions of those in the know and maybe avoid some of the pitfalls.
So here goes ;
1. Fx dreamline
2.Fx crown
3.Hw 100 k …
4.Air arms s 510

I live in Ireland all air rifles irrespective of power output are firearms and require a licence , as a result most air rifles that are imported run at FAC levels ( >12 ftlb) .
Air rifles are not very popular here unlike the Uk . So reliability is paramount or the ability to self service, as most gun dealers here are clueless about them . As for caliber 0.22 was my preference.
I would value your thought and experiences .
thanks
Dave

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
Not bashing here BUT if total reliability is your goal the S510 or HW100 would be my choices! If you wanna tinker and have a gun full of orings get an FX! 😉
Another great choice in my opinion is the Daystate huntsman either the Regal or Revere! Possibly a wolverine if you're wanting a bit more power!

1. Fx dreamline : sublime if you only shoot pellets

2.Fx crown: more power and shots, has the power to shoot slugs

3.Hw 100 k sub12 or low power, basically no adjustment nor easily self serviceable

4.Air arms s 510: ok for pellet only but very long & heavy, inefficient/poor shot count and low to medium power.

Out of the list the Crown wins by a landslide! There are more than enough FX Crown videos to services them yourself, parts are easily ordered from FX.

Edit: FX supports their guns for 3 years and will send you parts for 3 years. Even after 3 year their part parties are extremely reasonable and easy to find on their website.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the information guys . It’s been a while now since I have had a PCP . My go to gun was an old Mk2 Daystate huntsman sub 12 ft lb ,0.177 really loved it and very accurate.

Unfortunately I had to put it in storage with an unscrupulous dealer, who tried to charge me about 3 times the guns value. So I told him keep it, we’ll that’s not exactly what I said !
Luckily I had bleed it of all its air ( unknown to me that this was a bad idea) , but with the passage of time Daystate informed me it would leak like a sieve when refilled and would not be worth repairing.

I will give the Crown some serious consideration, they are expensive but it seems like you can cover a lot of options by being able to adjust the power settings. One of my big concerns when using the Rimfire for rabbits on certain farms with weak backstops or stone wall this is terrifying.
As for repair while I’m no gunsmith, I would be happy to tinker.
I will give the Dreamline some consideration too ,as I prefer it’s appearance but worry about the shot count. Lastly are there smaller mag options available ? I really don’t like the scopes so high, it looks like a fundamentally wrong . I was always told to get the objective as close to the barrel as possible.

Thanks again

1. Fx dreamline : sublime if you only shoot pellets

2.Fx crown: more power and shots, has the power to shoot slugs

3.Hw 100 k sub12 or low power, basically no adjustment nor easily self serviceable

4.Air arms s 510: ok for pellet only but very long & heavy, inefficient/poor shot count and low to medium power.

Out of the list the Crown wins by a landslide! There are more than enough FX Crown videos to services them yourself, parts are easily ordered from FX.

Edit: FX supports their guns for 3 years and will send you parts for 3 years. Even after 3 year their part parties are extremely reasonable and easy to find on their website.
Respectfully disagree on your HW100 statements. Pretty easy to adjust by hammer spring. Reg also if you have a reg tester. At 40fpe they are not just low power. Not pellet fussy at all. Shoots pellets and slugs (higher power versions) very well. Lastly, one of the easiest rifles to work on and service yourself. They are even more terrific when fitted with Huma reg, pre-chamber insert and 250bar titanium cylinder or buddy bottle conversion.

Respectfully disagree on your HW100 statements. Pretty easy to adjust by hammer spring. Reg also if you have a reg tester. At 40fpe they are not just low power. Not pellet fussy at all. Shoots pellets and slugs (higher power versions) very well. Lastly, one of the easiest rifles to work on and service yourself. They are even more terrific when fitted with Huma reg, pre-chamber insert and 250bar titanium cylinder or buddy bottle conversion.

Interesting. Didn’t know they had a HP version with more power than the FAC version. Most of the HW 100 I’ve seen are sub12 which is tamper proof and US farc version are pretty low in power. Low in power isn’t a bad thing if it’s designed for that use case, I haven’t even seen a .25 cal HW100 before.

My .25 cal crown with 700mm barrel is shooting slugs at 80fpe, 40 FPE is pretty high for more traditional airguns but are considered medium power these days.

Edit: You sure you are referring to a HW100? In .22 the HW100 FARC listed as 27 FPE max.

Last edited:
40 FPE? Never come across any that powerful. In .22 they run just under 30 FPE. And they have low shot count. Also nowhere as easily adjustable from the outside as FX guns.

Reactions: qball
Two of my favorite rifles I own are crowns. Headbanger is a 380mm 22 cal that is devastating on doves, 🐿️, and any other small pest. It is an MKI I bought used and have only replaced a few O rings on it. My other crown Skeletor is a 25 I shoot in competition. It is an MKII with a 600mm barrel and I rebuilt the reg.

Both rifles were bought used and when I needed parts FX came through no problems. The crowns are easy to work on if needed and are very easy to tune how you like.

I sold my 177 crown ( yeah I owned 3 crowns) to a friend who wanted something quiet for rabbits around his house.

Tony P

Interesting. Didn’t know they had a HP version with more power than the FAC version. Most of the HW 100 I’ve seen are sub12 which is tamper proof and US farc version are pretty low in power. Low in power isn’t a bad thing if it’s designed for that use case, I haven’t even seen a .25 cal HW100 before.

My .25 cal crown with 700mm barrel is shooting slugs at 80fpe, 40 FPE is pretty high for more traditional airguns but are considered medium power these days.

Edit: You sure you are referring to a HW100? In .22 the HW100 FARC listed as 27 FPE max.
Yes, HW100. All MK3's (since mid 2020) FAC leave factory at 50 joules just a tad under 40fpe - 4th turn on hammer gets you there for 2 mags worth 28 shots. Not that it makes huge difference and you are right lower isn't worse.

Yes, HW100. All MK3's (since mid 2020) FAC leave factory at 50 joules just a tad under 40fpe - 4th turn on hammer gets you there for 2 mags worth 28 shots. Not that it makes huge difference and you are right lower isn't worse.
Interesting about the newer HW100.

I have a pair of the FAC (.177 & .22) and really like them. Well made and excellent performers.

For the longest time the .22 HW100S FSB was my favorite. Now it's my .22/500mm Crown MK2 - lighter weight, higher shot-count, easier to tune and enough power for slugs if I want to go there.

Both fine airguns, you wouldn't go wrong with either.

Cheers!

Reactions: oOmpH
I think if you want to keep it simple and just enjoy shooting a PCP again, and as mentioned before the Daystate Regal is an excellent choice. Although I have both a Regal, Crown and Impact the Regal is a great go-to gun. Not a whole lot you can do to a Regal, which might be a good thing as compared to many other PCPs. "Simple and fun" is the main point in this case.

Thanks for all the information guys . It’s been a while now since I have had a PCP . My go to gun was an old Mk2 Daystate huntsman sub 12 ft lb ,0.177 really loved it and very accurate.

Unfortunately I had to put it in storage with an unscrupulous dealer, who tried to charge me about 3 times the guns value. So I told him keep it, we’ll that’s not exactly what I said !
Luckily I had bleed it of all its air ( unknown to me that this was a bad idea) , but with the passage of time Daystate informed me it would leak like a sieve when refilled and would not be worth repairing.

I will give the Crown some serious consideration, they are expensive but it seems like you can cover a lot of options by being able to adjust the power settings. One of my big concerns when using the Rimfire for rabbits on certain farms with weak backstops or stone wall this is terrifying.
As for repair while I’m no gunsmith, I would be happy to tinker.
I will give the Dreamline some consideration too ,as I prefer it’s appearance but worry about the shot count. Lastly are there smaller mag options available ? I really don’t like the scopes so high, it looks like a fundamentally wrong . I was always told to get the objective as close to the barrel as possible.

Thanks again
1680651839765.png

1680651807720.png

I own an FX Crown and when I pick it up I can feel it's light weight, superb handling and consitent and repeatable pin-point accuracy. That said, the lower mag clearance on my Air Wolf MCT Daystate is a plus for me, as well. If I understood you correctly, you have or will get an FAC so you could get a full power gun? Correct? If so, the Wolverine R Hi Power Forrester would be my choice in .22. As you know, it is a Huma Air regulated mechanical Daystate, so should be trouble-free for a long time. It could be a one-gun collection for me. Beautiful, accurate, lower mag clearance and dovetail mounts.

1680652342462.png

The new BSA R12 CLX Pro would also be on my radar.
1680651960300.png

1680651724135.png

Last edited: