• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

started making my pellet sizer

Had time this week to work on my pellet sizer. If your a little handy you could save a little money doing it this way. If you have to add in the cost of a lathe It may not pay to do it this way..... : ) I made this one out of aluminum but the rest I think I will make them out of steel. This one was just a test to see if I could remember how to run the lathe... : ) Its far from perfect but usable. If your a machinist please don't laugh to much.... : ) I'm just learning here. I had some aluminum around so I used it for my platform to hold .... 2 Neck die sizing bushings .253 and .254 . These sizes were perfect for the slug I put through the barrel. I will have to figure out how to make my own for other sizes I want to try they weren't readily available. They were cheap and should do a good job. Here is some pic of what I have done so far.

This is the holder I built.

I'm not sure if will epoxy it into the holder or use set screws?

So I have around 17 bucks per sizer If I make one more holder or a little less If I use set screws and just change from each size. If you have any coments positive or negative I would like to hear them.
Have a great one....
Richard

fe7565 thanks...I'm just experimenting right now. If I ever get them right and ever decide to sale any i will let you know... : )

ajshoots...I had the same concern on the taper. They do have a short taper but like you.... I also think the taper needs to be longer to be more exact. 
That will be my nixed project if these aren't to my liking. I made my push rod fit the pellet with around .003 play so it should push them in strait. I will test these and see how they come out. If not to my liking ...back to the drawling board.... : ) I will let you know if it works the way it should or its a flop...
Thanks again for your input.... I always like to here what others think..... : )

I made a delrin probe that ataches to my arbor press and pushes on back of the head of the pellet ( similar to loading probe on most guns ) seems to self center nicely, skirt is bigger than head at this point anyway. but honestly every barrel that I have worked with groove dia. is larger than pellet head dia.,so have had limited success with sizing! yours and others results may benefit from sizing though, carry on...!

I too just got my lee press (same red one as pictured above) with a custom sized die (0.217). Cant wait to see if it makes any difference (even bought oversized 5.55 barracuda pellets to make sure the sizer is definitely going to affect both the head AND the skirt)

One question I had for you guys is what do you use to push the pellet in? The pusher arm is designed to hold a firearm cartridge, and needs some sort of probe to hold a pellet and push it in.

You don't need a press.

It is far faster to do it by hand and feel.
Yrrah method: Just hold the sizer in your fingers of one hand, start the pellet head centered then push it through with a suitably profiled knitting needle point ( or other suitable rod ). I have sized thousands of .177, .22 and .25 JSB, H&N, .25 Benjamins, Polymags in all calibres, and other odds and sods. I long ago gave up using the dedicated Beeman sizing tool.
My groups at all ranges can speak for themselves.
51 yards .25 Kings sized 0.2500"
http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v392/Kyogle/FX%20ST%20Elite%203%20JSB%20Kings%2051%20yds%20pig%20silhouette%20Jan%202012_zpsnspoojdt.mp4
.......... Regards, Harry.

No, you don't need a press, but for pellets like eunjin or bullets, the press is very handy. Jsb's do go thru very easy and work great by hand.

For me, though you can easily size by hand, using the press keeps everything mounted solid and confined to one nice neat place on my reloading bench. This also makes the bullet catch work that comes with the die. To each their own though.

I have some pictures and info in this thread that may be of some help?
http://airgunnation.dev/topic/pellet-resizing/

Good design, Richard. I printed a very similar probe to push the pellets all the way through. My original "stubby" one was easy to "load" but did not push the pellets through cleanly.

Thanks for the lubing tips, Aaron. I must admit, after having tried Harry's hand push method, its pretty clear to me I wont be using my Lee press. Way too slow.
I made simple handles from InstaMorph and it works out beautifully. Timed myself, and can easily size a 500 tin over the course of a movie sitting on a couch :)
EunJins are a bit tough, needed a sturdier probe.

This may be an odd question. But what about pushing a pellet from the breech side in the barrel a few inches (not past the choke) and push it back out? That way it's sized exactly to the barrel you use. Obviously, this would take a bit longer. But to push the pellet inside you would use the pellet probe already there. Would it need to be pushed inside further than what the pellet probe pushes?