• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Squirrel woods invaders!

On vacation this week so I stopped out to one of my old squirrel hunting woods that I haven't been to in a couple years. Got there right after daylight and sat down in between the hardwoods and a brushy thicket. As it got brighter I didn't see many nests in the tree's that used to be everywhere on this property. 

Then I heard it ! That high pitched fast chatter of a frickin red squirrel...them little bastards were running everywhere especially in the thicket behind me so the Veteran .22 got a work out today...lol

Those little sucker's will ruin a hunting woods. They've even been known to castrate fox squirrels to eliminate them in the area. I know I shot at least a dozen or so but couldn't recover most because it was so thick. JSB 18.1s wack the crap out of them at 900fps....I'm making it a point to get rid of those invaders in my woods!

James from Michigan, 
1545966862_18082733175c25950e500419.06801033_20181227_113058.jpg

We don’t have the reds where I live just greys and fox squirrels. Earlier this summer I was doing pretty well for a couple of weeks while they were cutting hickory nuts. Out of all I had shot I only had 3 males but 2 of those had been castrated. I think the alpha boar will do it to young while still in the nest or maybe later. I think greys will do it to fox squirrels too. Anymore if I can, I’ll try and get a good look at the whole body and if a squirrel has as big of nuts as me, he’s sure as hell going to get a pass from me.

Here in MN, the red squirrels will endlessly harass the gray squirrels. I have two gray squirrels that have little or no tail left as a result - the reds will nip them off!

Combine that with the fact that the red squirrels have chewed the corner of my lower wooden garage door to get inside, destroyed several outdoor furniture cushions, burrowed under my water feature fountain, and nested in some of my outdoor landscaping...they have a "shoot-on-sight" order against them.

I will say, that my .25cal Cricket or .25cal Crown make a very satisfying mess out of them when they sit still long enough for me to pop them. The last one was sitting on top of my Big Green Egg smoker/grill when I popped him.

Shoot them. Shoot them all.

Scott