• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Sports Match

Question about the 2 piece adjustable mounts by Sports Match. Do the adjustable screws need to be on the right side (starboard) of the rifle or not? I have them on the left side (Port) now. The rifle used is a HW98. It shoots low and to the left side of the target, and I ran out of adjustment on my scope, an Athelon Argos BTR 8X34x56. Will switching the side the adjustment screws face fix my problem?

Question about the 2 piece adjustable mounts by Sports Match. Do the adjustable screws need to be on the right side (starboard) of the rifle or not? I have them on the left side (Port) now. The rifle used is a HW98. It shoots low and to the left side of the target, and I ran out of adjustment on my scope, an Athelon Argos BTR 8X34x56. Will switching the side the adjustment screws face fix my problem?
Yeah ...agree with post #2. Be very careful with 2 piece adjustable mounts. If not careful...you'll put undue stress on your scope tube.

Suggest you
1. remove your scope from the mounts and optically zero your scope (manually centering them via both turrets should get you close).
2. Visually inspect your barrel and check it with a straight edge. If it's deviating up or down...you might want to think about bending your barrel.
3. If you don't want to bend your barrel, my first option is to go with the one piece adjustable Sportmatch mount.
4. If you still want to use the two piece, I would use a sacrificial scope (read cheap and also optically centered). put a paper target at 10 yards and carefully adjust the windage and elevation on the adjustable mounts until your POI is around 2-3 inches below your POA. Then do another test target at your Apex zero...(usually around 25-32 yards) your POI should = your POA. If not, adjust POI with the adjustable mount screws. Once satisfied, snug down all the adjustment screws including the lock screws.
5. Mount the scope you want to use ...it should just require a few clicks of the turrets to duplicate #4. Then you are good to go.

Oh almost forgot ...double check your current scope. Make sure it hasn't failed. Mount it on a PCP to see if it's tracking and holding zero. That Argos looks like a nice scope too bad it Parallax at minimum of 15 yards. If you don't have a sacrifice scope, (not recommended but) you should still be able to do testing at 10 yards if you crank down the magnification...if not...do the first paper testing at 15 yards. If that's the case, adjust for POI 1.5 to 2 inches low.

Last edited:
Reactions: fishing43
Sometimes it will. Switching rings front to back or turning adjustment screws from port to starboard does work many times. Be aware sportsmatch makes two kinds of adjustable rings. One type only adjusts up and down, the other very expensive set adjusts both up and down and side to side.
When I get hold of a problem rifle for whatever reason I center the scope, install fully adjustable sportsmatch rings and use the rings to zero the rifle a smigeon of a turn at a time, then make a final click or two with the scope. Usually once zero is obtained and you secure the holding set screws it will change again, at this point I use the scope for final adjustments.
Just cause it is an HW or R9 does not insure proper alignment of scope rail to barrel. I have had the pleasure of fixing and sighting in a couple rifles with slightly off center mounting rails. Fully adjustable rings have always solved this, although they are an expensive addition to a rifle.
Try switching rings front to back first. Sometimes rings regardless of quality reputation are not properly machined and very will can and will cause a rifle to shoot to one side or the other.
Cheers
Kit