• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Sorting Results-Edgun Matador

Well in summary, it looks like my gun (2013 Matador R3M .25 long) prefers the larger head diameter. This surprised me, testing the JSB MKII Heavies (Deep Skirt) or the similar Edgun 34g. The following results entailed (6) 5 shot groups @ 50 yds, of each specified head diameter. This testing was very comprehensive, as 1500 pellets were cleaned, inspected and sorted for weight and head diameter. Roll sorting was discontinued (for skirt diameter consistency), when it became evident that this was a waste of time, as they were all very consistent. Groups were shot alternating through each head size, to maximize a comparable environment...there was changing wind so comparative accuracy, rather than absolute accuracy, was the goal. Here's what I came up with:

6.37mm- .99" ctc
6.38mm- .96" ctc
6.39mm- .75" ctc
6.40mm- .63" ctc
6.41mm- .58" ctc
Unsorted- .76" ctc

Note that "unsorted" pellets came in, where expected and the accuracy trend lends itself to validate this test. Also noted was, the Edgun 34g were more consistent in head diameter averaging midrange diameter. My overall conclusion is that sorting helps a little bit but is probably not justified. I see more accuracy gains in finding the pellet lot that works best for my gun...in this case the old MKIIs with the shallow skirt. On a side note, I tried lubing some unsorted pellets, that had been cleaned and tested them against non-lubed, in no wind conditions. The accuracy gain was insignificant with results being .56 ctc vs .58 ctc, respectively. The big surprise was the gun seemed to digest the larger head diameter better than the smaller diameter...I would have expected the opposite. Here's an example of on card w/ the 5 head sizes represented:

Reactions: FunGun and Michael
That is some great work! + heading your way for your efforts! Thanks for sharing. You mentioned you sorted for weight? Is there a corresponding relationship of head size to weight? Did you find that a particular weight and head size combination beyond the 6.41mm heads were the guns favorites? So...where do you go from here in the ever ongoing pursuit of perfection? lol.

Thanks for sharing +1 also. I have also started head sizing a couple of tins of the MK11. 
I got very few that weren’t 6.37 or 6.38. 
I also have 4 Noel sizing dies (.250-.254) I had them and the pelletgage on the table and thought I’ll check the accuracy of the dies against the pelletgage. Did the metic conversations and it was spot on. 
I pushed a 6.37 head size pellet through the .254 sizing die and it really took a shove to get it through and thought that must have been the head of the pellet being sized as there was so much resistance. 
Well it wasn’t! The head was untouched. 
So then I shot these pellets I had head sized (pelletgage) and skirt sized (.254 Noel die) 
My gun was shooting them about 880fps before sizing . These pellets weren’t grouping well and where a lot higher than before. My gun is an Impact with a LW poly barrel so I dialed the power wheel from max back to 4. 
It was a calm evening and I shot 5 shots on the new setting at 90m. 4 almost touching and one about a inch away. Still a little higher poi compared to the unsized pellets. 
That is as far as I got testing but Im thinking I must have got 30-40fps by bring the skirt down in size. 

Cant wait to test some more and get these pellets over the chrony Huntjunky I probably got 8or9 pellets from a tin that measured 6.41 but I’ll swap them for your 6.37 & 6.38’s 😁
Thanks again for sharing. Appreciate that is a ‘lot’
of time and work. 
Michael

Huntjunky, nice work and thanks for sharing. What did you use for head sorting? I've tried rolling, measuring with a caliper set a specific gap like .249" and just judged how far down the head slid down into the gap. I'm now working on a air sorter that is affected a lot by very small irregular skirt bottoms, very sensitive and even after sorting a few this way you really can't tell much difference when checking them with the caliper "gapping". I think for the most part the JSB's don't need head sorting. I have found quite a spread in weight though. Anywhere from 33.5 to 34.8 on the extreme ends. Plug that into Chairgun and you can see that at longer distances it'll make a difference.

I have been sizing my MK I's for my FX500 to .252 which is only catching the skirt. Seems to help regardless, maybe just all the skirts being the same..... maybe. Sometimes I swear by it and sometimes it seems it doesn't matter though.

Airsupply, I also have a set of 4 dies from NOE and it take the .249" before I see that the head is sized some. 
I think we're just ate up with it personally. LOL!
Jimmy 

Frankly, I don't think weight variations, using JSBs, makes any difference, for all intensive purposes...I've tested weight sorted vs unsorted, in heavies and 25.39g and accuracy results have been inconclusive or identical. This is what led me to sorting for head size, in matching weights (just to keep the "playing field level"). After dinking around with pellet accuracy (some 3500 shots over a couple of years), this is my conclusion. Once again this is for my gun. From most important to least: pellet brand/style, pellet lot or generation, head size, wash & lube, weight, then skirt diameter. Personally, I won't sort for weight any more, as JSBs are pretty consistent. A 2 mph variable breeze will make a bigger difference, perhaps .02" @ 50 yds. Sorting for skirt diameter is a waste. I'm sure my magazines actually size skirt during the feed to breech, with MK IIs.

Gwelo, that is a bit of a loaded question...the easy part...Yes, the new Huma/Power Plenum for Matador .25 Long. I am shooting @ 898 fps average, which yielded my guns best ES and accuracy (seems to be the mid trending velocity). Now, the Edgun/JSB velocities with all parameter's being equal...the last 4 tins of Edguns and 8 tins of JSB MKIIs with a dep skirt geometry shoot Identical velocity. The older shallow skirt MKIIs, in the larger ID, shoot 10 fps faster on average. (I have about 150 of these left for special occasions, ie. EBR down in your neck of the woods). The MKI or gen 1 shot about the same velocity as the Edguns. This is for my gun and be aware that apparently there is some differential in the Matador from my 2013 to newer models. Conclusion: for all intensive purposes, the velocity variation is a moot issue. More important is the "generation" of PSB made pellets. 20 fps translates into less than a 16th of an inch @ 50 yds.