• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Son-in-law buys his first FX

I come home from work yesterday to a very excited young man (who's very new to air rifles) holding his new to him (bought it used) FX wildcat mk3 vp in 25. I look it over and see the previous owner took good care of it.. no marks/scratches.. looks as if the previous owner never shot it.. this is his 2nd PCP...his first one is a kral emperor xs 22 cal..this first FX which he's been talking about wanting one for a good bit.. I asked what he thought... He says it shoots great without the moderator which it came with a Donny sumo 22/25.... He said it was clipping and didn't shot good with it on. (remember he's very new to this hobby).. I personally have never had a problem with a Donny clipping and found it hard to believe. I look the sumo over and see no signs of clipping.. picked up the wildcat and was looking it over and noticed the shroud was loose... By a good bit... Once it was tightened up snug and the sumo put back on.. it shot.. but not all that impressive.. I'm talking nickel to quarter size groups at 30 yards.. (I wonder if this isn't the reason the first owner sold it) ok let's clean the barrel and break out the chrony... Those groups are unacceptable! Cleaning done, few rounds down the pipe and no improvement.. chrony time. After about five shots tuning began. The numbers were all over the place. After setting the regulators (thanks guys for posting YT videos on tuning the duel regs as I'm unfamiliar with setting duel regs... sorry FX guys I'm a RTI guy 😊) some hammer spring adjustment and we had a very nice shot string. Now it prints groups that can easily be covered by a dime at 50 yards.. now I have a very excited son-n-law who loves his very first FX... After it was set up He must have set outside in the cold over 2 hours just shooting... when he came inside he was wound for sound...his excitement was off the charts! It was great...!!

I come home from work yesterday to a very excited young man (who's very new to air rifles) holding his new to him (bought it used) FX wildcat mk3 vp in 25. I look it over and see the previous owner took good care of it.. no marks/scratches.. looks as if the previous owner never shot it.. this is his 2nd PCP...his first one is a kral emperor xs 22 cal..this first FX which he's been talking about wanting one for a good bit.. I asked what he thought... He says it shoots great without the moderator which it came with a Donny sumo 22/25.... He said it was clipping and didn't shot good with it on. (remember he's very new to this hobby).. I personally have never had a problem with a Donny clipping and found it hard to believe. I look the sumo over and see no signs of clipping.. picked up the wildcat and was looking it over and noticed the shroud was loose... By a good bit... Once it was tightened up snug and the sumo put back on.. it shot.. but not all that impressive.. I'm talking nickel to quarter size groups at 30 yards.. (I wonder if this isn't the reason the first owner sold it) ok let's clean the barrel and break out the chrony... Those groups are unacceptable! Cleaning done, few rounds down the pipe and no improvement.. chrony time. After about five shots tuning began. The numbers were all over the place. After setting the regulators (thanks guys for posting YT videos on tuning the duel regs as I'm unfamiliar with setting duel regs... sorry FX guys I'm a RTI guy 😊) some hammer spring adjustment and we had a very nice shot string. Now it prints groups that can easily be covered by a dime at 50 yards.. now I have a very excited son-n-law who loves his very first FX... After it was set up He must have set outside in the cold over 2 hours just shooting... when he came inside he was wound for sound...his excitement was off the charts! It was great...!!
Nice story. As an aside now your favorite son in law knows what to get his father in law for Fathers day! :)

BTW: I'm also a fan of the VP series in the FX line. I've recently purchased a used Crown VP in .30 and have a new Maverick VP in .22 on the way. For what I do, I see no downside to the aluminum bottle and actually prefer the 600 mm barrel as the sweet spot for efficiency and handling characteristics.

If he wants to sell that Kral, I would be interested.

Congratulations !!!

One thing I would certainly do is to change the bottle for a 580 or 700 cc.....

I wish him to have made as good acquisition as it seems to.

Last edited:
Reactions: MongooseV8