• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Some Additional YH Information

This forum has been a great place to find lots of information about the operation and repair of YH compressors. Here's a bit more information that people may find useful at some point...

Today I finally got around to connecting a tee to the output of the 1st stage so I could monitor the output pressure of the 1st stage. I've included a picture of the setup below. Bascially, I just filled a gold filter to 4800 psi so it wouldn't take so long.To do this,I stuck a brass M10x1.0 tee where the red check valve was located and replaced the check valve after the tee. The digital pressure gauge is calibrated and accurate to 0.25% FS, which is, unfortunately, 6000psi, so the readings are +/-15psi. It turns out that the 1st stage is basically a 10:1 compressor as the output from it never went beyond 158psi. It was basically level at 155-158psi once the output gauge reached about 3000 psi. I monitored the 1st stage pressure from start until the output pressure was 4800psi.

7812204306803f2654f9ee31d4329ae0.jpg

Also, during the test the receptacle for the water pump power vibrated loose - one of the plastic retaining clips on the side had busted.and this allowed the receptacle to vibrate loose and the spade wire connectors shook loose. That's kind of scary since those wires bring 220 to the receptacle for the supplied water pump (which I don't use). I was lucky the bare space connectors didn't contact one another and short.out. They do have an insulated housing but it slides easily back onto the wire to expose the bare metal spade lugs. So if you aren't using that receptacle for power, you might want to just disconnect the spade lugs and wrap them in electrical tape - that's what I did.
e744d6be13952d217c99b3211058e3cd.jpg

And one last thing - while I had the cover of the motor off, I noticed that the wiring for the reset button runs between the capacitor and the motor body. In mine, it was snug between those two. I'm not sure whether it's better to leave those wires there to prevent the capacitor from rubbing against the motor armature or move them and just leaving <1mm space between the capacitor and armature. With the heavy vibration of the unit while running, I'm a bit afraid that the capacitor might hit the armature repeatedly if it weren't "buffered" by the wire - so I left the wires jammed between the two and will just check on it every once in awhile.If it comes to it, I'll just snip the wires so they aren't connected to the power supply and use them as padding. I've attached a picture of what I am talking about below.
10486e33a2c48c3c17e5981b5df7a918.jpg

Anyway, this might be useful to someone if they experience a failure and it isn't one of the more obvious things to check (like has been covered in other threads).

Thanks for the information. I'm a bit surprised that the first stage is only 10:1, then the second must be 30:1, which explains why it gets so hot and wears out the rings more quickly than a "real" diving air compressor. I know most 3 stage compressor have a 7:1 compression on each stage, so 105 psi, then 735 psi, the to 4500 psi +. Being air cooled is fine with such low compression on each stage, and explains why we need water cooling on the YH two stage type compressors. I'm sure my two cylinder Tuxing is the same ratio, as are the AV and new Hatsan. I am a bit not understanding why the temperature output of the first and second stages are comparable, and the second stage isn't that much hotter than the first, despite having a much higher compression ratio. It could be the size of the piston and volume per stroke...?
Mike

Hi Mike. I too was surprised to see such a high compression ratio on the 2nd stage. Like you say, that's why we need water cooling on it. When it starts out, the 1st stage runs hotter since there isn't enough back pressure in the second stage pushing on the one-way valve between them. Once the output pressure gets high enough (say, above 2500 psi), the 1st stage reaches is max compression of about 155-160 psi) and it settles into a steady-state. The 2nd stage then is doing the hard work and that tube gets hotter. I dunno - that kind of makes sense. Maybe?

I am wondering about two things now - first, can one adjust the 1st stage compression by replacing the spring on the one-way valve between the stages? A stiffer spring may allow the 1st stage compression ratio to go higher, reducing the hard work for the second stage a bit. But the 1st stage isn't water cooled and the block looks like cast iron instead of aluminum, so if it gets too hot it might crack.

Second, providing pressurized air to the inlet should work well. Feed it 45 psi instead of ambient and the1st stage would be at 450 psi instead of 155-160 psi. Then the 2nd stage would only have to do 10:1 to reach 4500 psi. *That* should reduce both the amount of heat generated and the fill time quite a bit. Basically, run the YH as a booster pump. I am definitely going to try that. Just have to be careful not to overpressure the inlet too much and blow out something.