• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

So glad I live in the US, Airgun wise

One of the reasons I bought a FX Crown was the review by Giles. In it he mentions that the rifle he was reviewing was 22 cal. and that he got 700 shots on a fill. Doing the math of just how fast a 22 pellet weighing about 16gr is @ 12 fpe (or whatever the UK restricts airguns to is), he is only getting 583 fps. Did I do the math correctly?? I would for sure be shooting a 177 ifin I lived over there.

"12fpe" is great no matter .22 or .177 ( I have even used a .25 RWS54 but that I had trouble with tho the owner did not).

I wanted to keep shooting ( anything ) while having both shoulders done and a friend gave me a magazine, ordered u[p a Fire 201 9mm, fun, had all the needed gear ( before they sold hand pumps ...) so got another big one, then a .25 career 707II . 99fpe, what a hoot.
Met a fellow airgunner who wanted to come over & shoot Squirrels, great time. Shot all his stuff , springer & pre-charged pistols & rifles all .177 & .22.
And the Squirrels fell in droves while hiking in Paradise. Good clean fun & food there!
We both thought it might be nice to meet more airgunners so went to a Field Target match only to meet people.
My friend used an RWS48 in .22 w/4x scopeand I shot a 23fpe .22 ( range master said sure this once as your new, I didnt think I was going back but very nice) pre-charged w/10x mill dot. The people were great, good folks all. Pretty easy to spot us as "squirrel" hunters and some hunting rifles appeared right after the shoot for us to try.

I had discovered "Tiny Bore" after more than a decade with nothing smaller than a .25 ( they started as my firearm substitute) and only one at that .177 was SO much fun!
All the true benefits of an airgun suddenly flashed into my life - and wallet-, I was hooked .177 airguns, the most fun you can legally have! Yes Sir. 
So I shot some "highpower" FT, fun! Then I tried "12fpe" just for more fun, wow MUCH more fun. Then at a shoot a friend had an RWS 75, LOL, maybe 6fpe , 220 clicks to deal with, did'nt knock everything down but hit almost all KZ's and evrything out to about 45 dropped, to me crazy good shooting.
After the match another fellow got out his "10m" Field Target rifle and I got to try shooting 50 yards with that ( a true lefty RWS75).
The light bulb went off ( or dinned again & flickered??) he could shoot 55 yards with 6fpe then I could shoot 110 yards using my "12fpe" rifle. Good fun logic- but no math yet- there. I added 40 yards to my home range for 114 total & nailed a board up at 110 yards. Used a QB78 HPA & Leapers 9x ( I think, still have the target somewhere) .
Used 3 target figuring out the high swirling winds in the hollow then put 10 shots inside 3" ( ya ya , three inch's but first day trying) holding top of the bottom post 3 mil's right. At 110 yards. With a .177 shooting 11.4fpe.
I needed a better scope! And some more of these tiny-bore rifles right away.

It's not only the trajectory in lower power , .177-.25 but everything you do shows up more and no one knows how to dope wind better than the low power shooter.

So many are looking for an airgun that almost shoots for them that they are over looking the education, fun and usefulness of a lower power airgun. 
If your looking for fun, and learning and improving skill can be fun to you, DO try some "12fpe", "10m" lower power rigs ( or just turn down your fancy xxxxx ) .

John

"spysir""12fpe" is great no matter .22 or .177 ( I have even used a .25 RWS54 but that I had trouble with tho the owner did not).
I wanted to keep shooting ( anything ) while having both shoulders done and a friend gave me a magazine, ordered u[p a Fire 201 9mm, fun, had all the needed gear ( before they sold hand pumps ...) so got another big one, then a .25 career 707II . 99fpe, what a hoot.
Met a fellow airgunner who wanted to come over & shoot Squirrels, great time. Shot all his stuff , springer & pre-charged pistols & rifles all .177 & .22.
And the Squirrels fell in droves while hiking in Paradise. Good clean fun & food there!
We both thought it might be nice to meet more airgunners so went to a Field Target match only to meet people.
My friend used an RWS48 in .22 w/4x scopeand I shot a 23fpe .22 ( range master said sure this once as your new, I didnt think I was going back but very nice) pre-charged w/10x mill dot. The people were great, good folks all. Pretty easy to spot us as "squirrel" hunters and some hunting rifles appeared right after the shoot for us to try.
I had discovered "Tiny Bore" after more than a decade with nothing smaller than a .25 ( they started as my firearm substitute) and only one at that .177 was SO much fun!
All the true benefits of an airgun suddenly flashed into my life - and wallet-, I was hooked .177 airguns, the most fun you can legally have! Yes Sir. 
So I shot some "highpower" FT, fun! Then I tried "12fpe" just for more fun, wow MUCH more fun. Then at a shoot a friend had an RWS 75, LOL, maybe 6fpe , 220 clicks to deal with, did'nt knock everything down but hit almost all KZ's and evrything out to about 45 dropped, to me crazy good shooting.
After the match another fellow got out his "10m" Field Target rifle and I got to try shooting 50 yards with that ( a true lefty RWS75).
The light bulb went off ( or dinned again & flickered??) he could shoot 55 yards with 6fpe then I could shoot 110 yards using my "12fpe" rifle. Good fun logic- but no math yet- there. I added 40 yards to my home range for 114 total & nailed a board up at 110 yards. Used a QB78 HPA & Leapers 9x ( I think, still have the target somewhere) .
Used 3 target figuring out the high swirling winds in the hollow then put 10 shots inside 3" ( ya ya , three inch's but first day trying) holding top of the bottom post 3 mil's right. At 110 yards. With a .177 shooting 11.4fpe.
I needed a better scope! And some more of these tiny-bore rifles right away.
It's not only the trajectory in lower power , .177-.25 but everything you do shows up more and no one knows how to dope wind better than the low power shooter.
So many are looking for an airgun that almost shoots for them that they are over looking the education, fun and usefulness of a lower power airgun. 
If your looking for fun, and learning and improving skill can be fun to you, DO try some "12fpe", "10m" lower power rigs ( or just turn down your fancy xxxxx ) .
John
I think all that is just opinion. I can tell you how I would not enjoy shooting a 12fpe rifle, pistol, or anything. 
for a lot of use we shoot past 100yrd and with a 12fpe is gonna really hard to do on a squirrel. 
Also pellet drop is huge to people and like I said long shot are not easy at all kinda dumb to Try. 
HP is more popular in the states because we can do what the hell we want and have blast doin it!

"Panzer"It could be worse, I believe that countries like Germany & Canada have 5lb. restriction before you need a licence.
In Canada its speed relative, over 500fps and 4.2fpe and it's a firearm in legal terms. No power restrictions like Germany though. In the UK they can get more powerful guns but like here they would need an FAC, but way less selection in high power airguns than even here as far as I know.

Edit; added a link if anyone is interested. http://www.rcmp.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/air_gun-arme_air-eng.htm

I’m from the UK but live in the US now and used to shoot a BSA Lightning in .22 and loved that rifle. If you haven’t shot at the 12 ft/lbs power level definitely worth giving it a go, it is a different experience and pretty good fun and think it does make you a better shooter when you move up a power level. Picked up an FX Crown now in .25 and do love it and wouldn’t be opposed to tuning it down to 12 ft/lbs with a .22 or .177 barrel when available. 700 shots on one tank too!! No more turning the gun over to check the gauge!!

"Locker50"Why wouldn't anyone who likes shooting or hunting that lives in Canada or Europe not get a Firearms license?
Yeah exactly, not the end of the World. I got it last year and got the "restricted" too which includes handguns but still don't have any powder burners, down the road I'd like to get a Russian SKS they're cheap as dirt up here (200 US) and they're non-restricted so I can go out in the woods and shoot it no problem or hunt deer with it if I ever got into that. Handguns can basically only be shot at a shooting range and more hassles.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/97723/russian-sks-semi-auto-rifle-w-hardwood-stock

"Glem.Chally"
"Locker50"Why wouldn't anyone who likes shooting or hunting that lives in Canada or Europe not get a Firearms license?
Yeah exactly, not the end of the World. I got it last year and got the "restricted" too which includes handguns but still don't have any powder burners, down the road I'd like to get a Russian SKS they're cheap as dirt up here (200 US) and they're non-restricted so I can go out in the woods and shoot it no problem or hunt deer with it if I ever got into that. Handguns can basically only be shot at a shooting range and more hassles.
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/97723/russian-sks-semi-auto-rifle-w-hardwood-stock
7.62x39 sp for deer does great 150 yds or less. SKS would work. I use a CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39 for deer in NY State. Very accurate and light, even scoped. Several hundred more dollars though

Well I'm getting the Impact "X" .22 and will definitely make use of it at 12 fpe. for close range pesting. I see no need to zip a pellet through the target and possibly hit or injure something unintentionally. There is certainly a place for low powered PCPs.
But like to OP said I'm glad I live in America where I'm free to crank it up when ever I feel the need to take down something bigger than a squirrel at longer distances.

Having a gun that can be adjusted to fit the situation is AWESOME!

I got all of the low FPE/FPS shooting I wanted when I was a kid. Now that I am older, and can afford higher power tools, there is less shooting with massive holdover and windage adjustments to hit a tin can at 50 yards. I remember shooting the low power stuff, it was more like doing artillery calculations to hit a can, than aiming at a can and hitting it. The Marauder is zeroed at 50 yards, put the crosshairs on the target, hit the target. The Bulldog is also zeroed at 50 yards as well, same outcome. Now to reach out to 100 yards, yes, some holdover is needed. When I was a kid, I got some headshots on squirrels with a low power airgun; occasionally they would chitter at me, shake it off, and scamper away afterwards. Hit them with a 25 FPE (or more) air rifle, and they lose the opportunity to taunt you afterward. I even hit a dove once, on the tough "breastbone" with a 23 FPE .22 caliber air rifle at 40 yards, feathers flew, but then... the dove flew off. I struggle with using the words "Humane" and "Kill" in the same sentence, but more power ensures a more certain kill without maiming or the critter running off, or flying off and dying elsewhere.

Just would like to point out responsible shooting! Just because we can doesn't mean we should. (Don't be a Tim Taylor)
Selecting the right power for the game can be the better way to go at times.
After all it only takes one incident of a missed shot or a ricochet that strike the wrong person and all hell will break out!
Sometimes more power isn't the wiser choice. 
With all these overly sensitive "Liberals" you never know what they will be crying about tomorrow!
Best not to give them any ammo!
When I'm shooting rats @ 10-20 yrds I really don't need more than 10-12fpe. The pellet still passes through the rat, but it doesn't really have much power left to cause any harm.

I live in America where the sky is the limit!
But I like to think of myself as a responsible gun owner.
I always make sure of my sight picture and consider the "What if's?"

Just my 2 pennies!
Be safe!