Slugs are getting heavier and heavier…

…that's why we're introducing a light one, the new H&N Slug HP .177 10 grain!

Not too long ago we developed and released the H&N Slug HP in various weights for friends of the .177 caliber.

Since then we received many requests for an even lower weight version. We followed the call and are proud to present you the H&N Slug HP .177 in 10 grain.
  • The hollow point and base save weight but make the slug long enough to ensure good guidance in the barrel.
  • Due to its light weight, this slug is perfect for lower powered air rifles (>12 ft-lb).
  • Exact diameter: .1775 / 4.51 mm
  • Tin count: 400 pcs.
Production has just started, availability depends on transport time to your retailer (e.g. Europe 3-4 weeks, USA 3 months)

We wish you a nice summer time (or winter time if you live in the southern hemisphere)!

View attachment 368879
This would be perfect for the rats!

Reactions: HN Sport
slap VS punch HMMM pellets are mostly hollow so crush on impact . slugs are more solid so more energy transfer to expand . ??

The little slugs will both hold onto more energy and less effected by the wind. I have rifles from 177 thru 30 but mostly shoot my 177's with slugs. At 50yards shooting a 10 or 13gr pellet, a good 5-10mph wind will push my pellet of target by a few inches or more. With the slugs the poi shift is minimal. Don't get me wrong, they're still affected but not to the degree of the same weight pellet. Lastly if you find the right slug they expand very well. Hopefully these new 10gr H&N will work well but I haven't found anything that hits as hard as the 10gr Zans in that weight! You should get your hands on a box of Zans 10gr slugs. Fill up some cans with water and shoot them first with a 10gr pellet then the slug, you'll be amazed on the difference of damage the slug creates over the pellet! Its hard to go back to pellets once you find the right slug!!!

They never seem to show the bottom if its a skirted (??) or cup/ flat base . Now i do think a little skirt to expand ( like a pellet skirts job is) seems beneficial for leade fit . I don't know just seems it would. Then i like a more around 8 grain for springer use not so hard on my springs. lol. ..
The slugs have a deep hollow base like a skirt. I hope you can see that in the picture.
1688368173747.png

Ya, may not like to use them over 9g in my spring gun , but the gas ramed i dont see a problem for my 75-100y tries if i see a advantage gain in poi. Just shot 75y with h&n .177 ftt.52, and cant really complain out side one i used wrong holdover dot . My old fuzzy brain i got confused . Luckily just once in 10.( The low one). But regardless i always seem to have " that one" to blow my group..lol
IMG_20230703_073151274.jpg

10 grains of lead is 10 grains , maybe the slug shape holds a bit more FPS and FPE down range ?
Slugs have a higher BC and also have a more consistent BC. A pellet BC can vary wildly due to small amounts of wind. Same starting energy will translate to a higher fps/fpe at the target when comparing a higher BC. Depending on the specific ammos the difference can be negligible but often the slugs way out perform pellets.

…that's why we're introducing a light one, the new H&N Slug HP .177 10 grain!

Not too long ago we developed and released the H&N Slug HP in various weights for friends of the .177 caliber.

Since then we received many requests for an even lower weight version. We followed the call and are proud to present you the H&N Slug HP .177 in 10 grain.
  • The hollow point and base save weight but make the slug long enough to ensure good guidance in the barrel.
  • Due to its light weight, this slug is perfect for lower powered air rifles (>12 ft-lb).
  • Exact diameter: .1775 / 4.51 mm
  • Tin count: 400 pcs.
Production has just started, availability depends on transport time to your retailer (e.g. Europe 3-4 weeks, USA 3 months)

We wish you a nice summer time (or winter time if you live in the southern hemisphere)!

View attachment 368879

I'd love to order H&N for my store but can't find any distributor who can supply me :(
1617295726147.jpg

I'm glad you asked😉
Here's a little demo🤩
The slug did MASSIVE damage and kept trucking.
The pellet hit,expanded a little and stopped.😃

You can’t compare terminal performance of a slug vs a pellet if you are shooting a SOLID metal plate. They will both give the same result, i.e. they will both turn into a M&M. Nothing to compare and nothing learnt.
So what’s the difference between a .177 10gr pellet and a .177 10gr slug? They are both 10gr’s of lead, just different shapes.

A better question would be what’s the benefit of the different shapes?
Each has pros and cons.
At close range (out to 50yards) they are both accurate.
At long range (100yards) slugs carry more retained energy i.e. can hit harder.
Slugs perform better in the wind, especially at distance.
Pellets need less air/pressure to get up to (accurate) speeds. i.e. better shot counts.
Slugs don’t perform as well as pellets in lower powered guns.
Pellets are MUCH cheaper to buy and shoot.
So each has benefits and drawbacks.
Depending on what your specific requirements and budget is, one may suit your needs better then the other.

Personally, I’m a hunter, I don’t hunt soda cans or gongs at 120yards, I do pest control of small game at 30 to 40yards. What’s important to me is:
1- accuracy
2- a quiet gun (I often do pest control around horses).
3- terminal performance of the projectile in the target.

With all else being equal, i.e. shot from the same gun at the same power level, if a 10gr H&N slug gives better terminal performance than a pellet, I’d use them. But that’s a whole other topic for another day.

You can’t compare terminal performance of a slug vs a pellet if you are shooting a SOLID metal plate. They will both give the same result, i.e. they will both turn into a M&M. Nothing to compare and nothing learnt.
So what’s the difference between a .177 10gr pellet and a .177 10gr slug? They are both 10gr’s of lead, just different shapes.

A better question would be what’s the benefit of the different shapes?
Each has pros and cons.
At close range (out to 50yards) they are both accurate.
At long range (100yards) slugs carry more retained energy i.e. can hit harder.
Slugs perform better in the wind, especially at distance.
Pellets need less air/pressure to get up to (accurate) speeds. i.e. better shot counts.
Slugs don’t perform as well as pellets in lower powered guns.
Pellets are MUCH cheaper to buy and shoot.
So each has benefits and drawbacks.
Depending on what your specific requirements and budget is, one may suit your needs better then the other.

Personally, I’m a hunter, I don’t hunt soda cans or gongs at 120yards, I do pest control of small game at 30 to 40yards. What’s important to me is:
1- accuracy
2- a quiet gun (I often do pest control around horses).
3- terminal performance of the projectile in the target.

With all else being equal, i.e. shot from the same gun at the same power level, if a 10gr H&N slug gives better terminal performance than a pellet, I’d use them. But that’s a whole other topic for another day.
😅did you watch the video?
The same test was. preformed a number of ways that day at varying yardages and with varied target matter. Some of those target were indeed pest birds too.
If you are mainly doing 30 to 40yrd, pellets would be a.better option for me because of price. I too am a hunter; airguns are my practice and fun time. 😀
I've been testing very odd combinations. If you ever want to smack something of a pest bird size over 60 yards, switch to a slug. Not saying a pellet won't do the job. Since we both hunt, I hope we can both agree that pellets and slugs are both worthy of their own uses🤙

Hi...brought a tin each of 16 and 20 gr HN slugs in 177 to try out...they fit in my daystate huntsman classic FAC breech when hand chambered but before finally seating inside the breech (while using the pellet probe) I feel a slight resistance in the last few mm of pellet probe travel.is this ok or shud I avoid these slugs..they otherwise shoot well.otherwise I don't feel the same issue with 14 grainers...please advice

Slugs have a higher BC and also have a more consistent BC. A pellet BC can vary wildly due to small amounts of wind. Same starting energy will translate to a higher fps/fpe at the target when comparing a higher BC. Depending on the specific ammos the difference can be negligible but often the slugs way out perform pellets.
That's great and I would love to try them but if they don't make them in .20 cal, I'm out!