• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Silencer with wipe?

Hi.

I'm interested in using wiped silencer. Today I've been used some verity of plastic material but non of them didn't work. They didn't expand enough.

Is it possible for PCP air rifle or not worth it?

I don't know what kind of material used for making wipe but it seem's like some kind of polyurethane like FX used for barrel O-ring.

Wiper: a diaphragm that the projectile touches on its way out.

Supposed to help reduce the sound pressure level. It isn’t necessary with an air rifle and will positively destroy accuracy. It’s okay on a handgun if your shots are all at close range and the target needs no more precision than a softball-sized zone.

If you want to try it, get some rubber fender washers, or get some butyl rubber sheet stock and cut one out.

Then be ready to take it back out when it becomes evident it’s terrible for accuracy :)

The early MAC system silencers, Vietnam vintage, had wipes, they were shot out quickly, it was a very inaccurate Subgun to begin with, so saying it made them more inaccurate would be a matter of degrees of inaccuracy, of course, they were mainly room brooms. The CIA used MAC/Ruger 22 pistols that used them, short lived again, and the one I heard was pretty loud due to the wipes being shot out, but was a valuable collectors item.

No need to try it in airguns unless you can figure out how to make contact wounds on squirrels. We airgunners try to avoid Projectile contact with endcaps.

Scary fact is I have seen bank guards armed with the MAC’s in the Philippines.

Regards

Roachcreek

Interesting idea,... but can not imagine that accuracy would not suffer. I would use a piece of plastic (plastic food wrap, condom, bread bag, etc.) and poke a small hole in with a needle. At that point,... put it on the barrel and (evenly) stretch the hole open to just smaller than the size of your projectile and rubber band it in place. I would think that the air blast would be more of a worry and doing damage to the wipe.

If moderator equipped,... if you can take it apart,.. i would just use a steel washer with as small as hole as possible and still not get clipped.

Keep us posted as to what you try and any good or bad results.

Hi. I have been tried two types of washer

First one soft washer with 2mm thickness. Pellet easily pushed it with diameter of 3.5mm for first shoot and 4.5mm for second shoot. It didn't work.

Then hard washer with 5.2 mm thickness. I used two side tape but it flew out with pellet. Also put it inside the silencer is impossible because it's thick.

After that I used two side tape only. pellet pushed exactly same as soft washer.

Also I gave another try with two side tape but this time silicone one. after one shoot exit hole was 7.5mm so it broke at high speed.

I have 10mm thick soft washer but I can't put it inside silencer. also tape can not hold it.

I don't think condom could stand this much of force. Also it's some how weird to put condom on barrel of a gun.

-----------------------------------------------

I saw pellet flew with two side tape and 2mm washer. It wasn't that bad.