• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Shrouded Walnut 77K

Just thought id share a few pics of my 1987 77k that ive been picking away at through the year, in my little home shop.

Now shrouded (and re blacked by a very nice gent called Paul Chell), sitting in a home made english walnut stock (with Ebony cap), running a 176gr skirtless rotating piston, and putting out 11.4fpe with both JSB 7.3's and 8.4's.

20221116_153305.jpg

20221116_153337.jpg

Ive added a little brass bling here and there....

20221116_153446.jpg

20221116_153224.jpg

....and also included a removable foresight (from an old Remi 700) so it can still be enjoyed as Herman intended....it is a 77 afterall 😊

20221116_153408.jpg

20221116_153353.jpg

Thank for looking 👍

Just thought id share a few pics of my 1987 77k that ive been picking away at through the year, in my little home shop.

Now shrouded (and re blacked by a very nice gent called Paul Chell), sitting in a home made english walnut stock (with Ebony cap), running a 176gr skirtless rotating piston, and putting out 11.4fpe with both JSB 7.3's and 8.4's.

View attachment 311711
View attachment 311712

View attachment 311713

View attachment 311714

....and also included a removable foresight (from an old Remi 700) so it can still be enjoyed as Herman intended....it is a 77 afterall 😊

View attachment 311715

View attachment 311716

Thank for looking 👍

Apsolute masterpiece of a rifle, thanks for sharing!!

Reactions: JamieUK

View attachment 311711
View attachment 311712

View attachment 311713

View attachment 311714

View attachment 311715

View attachment 311716

Thank for looking 👍
Send the stock to Craig Petty for some skipline checkering and that project is done😉

Thank you for the replies and kind words gents 👍

For anyone who may be interested, here are the specs on the tune-

20221207_195843.jpg

I passed these details on to a guy called Dan on the UK AGF as he has an excellent springer efficient spread sheet. He crunched the numbers and my 77 came back at 43%.

4.5mm's are generally excepted to run between 28 and 32% im told, so it was good to know efficiency has improved along with its manners, and the tune was worthwhile.

I cut the stock blank (plus another for a ground up 21mm underlever project ive been picking away at too) from this big kiln dried lump-

Screenshot_20220927-215208_Gallery.jpg

English walnut will never quite have the figuring of some other walnuts, but it still has a certain charm of its own 👍

Last edited:
Send the stock to Craig Petty for some skipline checkering and that project is done😉

Craigs work is superb and id love to be in a position to send it to him, but unfortunately times are very hard in the UK right now and financially many of us are being squeezed for every penny we have 👎

This was very much a budget build from start to finish, with the only real luxury being the pro re black. I picked the standard rifle up for £85 in a very sorry state. The kiln dried lumber was £34, re black £100, and raw materials bumped the final total up to just under £250 (so around $300?).

With a young family funds and time are always tight, so these budget builds are really valuable to me....they take a long time, but help keep the hobby and ol' airgun mojo going and id be lost without them 👍

@JamieUK The rifle is a stunner as is, like Chuck in Ohio said I’d never believed it to be a budget build. But therein lies the beauty of a quality DIY- esp when you can finesse the wood yourself. Respektos (from latin LOL) on this labor of love project! I really like the grooves on the fwd end of the stock.

Your rifle, your build, it’s done when you say it is. PERIOD. Enjoy that beauty.

BTW- I imagine the TP was opened just a wee bit from 2.8mm?

@JamieUK The rifle is a stunner as is, like Chuck in Ohio said I’d never believed it to be a budget build. But therein lies the beauty of a quality DIY- esp when you can finesse the wood yourself. Respektos (from latin LOL) on this labor of love project! I really like the grooves on the fwd end of the stock.

Your rifle, your build, it’s done when you say it is. PERIOD. Enjoy that beauty.

BTW- I imagine the TP was opened just a wee bit from 2.8mm?

The grooves were a late edition Heathrow..... As the shroud added just over 3" to the barrel (and I was keen to keep it looking like a carbine) I made the forks of the stock around an inch longer than the standard 77 stock.....the grooves were then added to break up/ slim down that extra length. I think it kinda works 🤷‍♂️🤪

And you are spot on with the TP diameter sir....during the tuning/ balancing stage the stock piston started at 150gr (it was actually a Diana 48/52 piston that I modified)....

20220904_132649.jpg

.....and went to 176g with the addition of the top hat, and the TP ended up at 3.2mm. I was expecting it to be around 3.5mm but it all fell in to place at those dims (whilst testing different weight pellets) so thats where it stayed.....

Reactions: Ozwald
The grooves were a late edition Heathrow..... As the shroud added just over 3" to the barrel (and I was keen to keep it looking like a carbine) I made the forks of the stock around an inch longer than the standard 77 stock.....the grooves were then added to break up/ slim down that extra length. I think it kinda works 🤷‍♂️🤪

And you are spot on with the TP diameter sir....during the tuning/ balancing stage the stock piston started at 150gr (it was actually a Diana 48/52 piston that I modified)....

View attachment 311876

.....and went to 176g with the addition of the top hat, and the TP ended up at 3.2mm. I was expecting it to be around 3.5mm but it all fell in to place at those dims (whilst testing different weight pellets) so thats where it stayed.....
Is there a general formula you used to arrive at the correct TP, piston diameter, piston sweep, piston weight?
I'm seeing more and more skirtless, lighter piston conversion for the <12 FPE rigs.
I assume this was started by Tony Leach? and the lost volume crowd?
I have his set up in my TX...night and day difference in recoil and shot cycle.