• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Should I upgrade from my trusty Marauder Pistol to the .22 Vulcan?

I am really torn. i LOVE my P-Rod. It's quiet, powerful, and accurate. I've had it for several years, and I've shot thousands of pellets through it. its a GRREAT Gun!

But, I have that familiar itch to buy something new and shiny. I really want to buy a .22 Vulcan. But, I don't know why! HELP!

After all my tuning, my P-Rod shoots at 16 fpe. I've added a double tube kit, and I get about 35 very consistent shots. I have an LDC from Jim Gaska, and the gun is totally backyard friendly. 50 percent of my shooting is from my back porch at squirrels, and other critters, and 50 percent of my shooting is at my family ranch in Waco, Tx. where I shoot rabbits, skunks, snakes, grasshoppers, ect.. I shoot paper very rarely.
Shooting at the house never exceeds 40 yards, and shooting at the Ranch is rarely under 40 yards. I know most of you will say, "Just own em both!" but, I just don't really care to own more than one gun.

I guess my question is... Is the .22 Vulcan going to be too powerful and loud to shoot at home?

Hmmm. That is a head scratcher of a problem. Oh but what a problem to have! Maybe think about a vulcan .25 ? With the improved moderator in the 2nd gen vulcan and with the addition of a second extended moderator (see Topgunairgun.com) you could get a very stealthy .25. Then when your in Waco you can reach out and touch something with a little more power and authority. Knock down power with the .25 is pretty impressive. Yet with the extended moderator you would still be very backyard friendly with the vulcan. Just an idea, that way you have both options for hunting and plinking with two calibers. good luck!

PS just re-read your post that you only want to own one gun...sorry didn't see that till now. But I think I would still consider the .25 vulcan with the moderator, seems to fit the bill of your needs as described with the improvement of long range knock down power? again, good luck.

I own a .25 caliber Vulcan and as far as noise goes it's not that bad. If someone where indoors while you were shooting i don't think they would here it. The .25 cal is going to be pushing a little more air which would then make it louder than the .22. The .25 cal also has kind of a ping to it which i have gotten used to and don't think it's that bad but i don't know if the .22 would have that or not because the .25 cal is going to have a stronger hammer spring which would hit the valve harder than the .22 would. Also like FunGun stated you can get extended shrouds and shroud upgrades to make the gun quieter. As far as power goes if you think that would be a problem then it has the hammer spring adjuster in the back where the loaded indicator is. I think they have recently switched that to where you can adjust it with an Allen wrench. Other wise i say go for it it's an awesome gun my .25 is getting 1/2 in at 50 at 75 usually about an inch but will also do 1/2 in if you really put your time into it. I also just lightened the trigger on mine and have not yet shot paper with it lightened so it might even do better.
Leo

Reactions: longdog
I opted for the FX400 with it,s three position, very reproducible, power settings. At low power I can knock pests off the feeders and get almost 200 shots from a fill. I use medium power out to 50 yards with the JSB 15.9 gr pellet and for longer distances one can easily switch to high power. If you want a bullpup then the FX Bobcat would be my choice.

The neat thing about having a low pressure gun is you get a lot more fills. When my air tank goes below 3000 psi I can no longer fill my cricket carbine completely, which I don't like. BUT, I can still fill my Marauder and Falcon pistol completely. Therefore, I can extend my shooting. So I start off with my Cricket on Saturday and end up shooting the Marauder and Falcon on Sunday. I say go for it! I like switching things up as well, keeps me engaged. I will say I like shooting the Cricket the best and I hear the Vulcan is a great gun as well!!

I am struggling with the caliber issues as well. Just remember you will need pellets for each gun. If you don't need more power I would try to stay with the same caliber. This does not always mean they shoot the same pellets as all three of my guns shoot either a different weight or brand. On average, .25 caliber guns tend to shoot less shots and require more air. Others may have a difference of opinion depending on make and model of gun.

I have a marauder .25 and a FX Bobcat .22. The marauder was my first purchase and is a great gun, however shot count and some restrictions at my club forced me into a .22. Therefore, when I made my bobcat purchase I chose .22 over the .25, it's also shorter by a few inches which is nice. I rarely have need to shot the .25 now because the .22 can do everything I need. That being said... when I can buy an Impact, I'll be purchasing it in .30 with a .25 barrel kit. that will round out my collection of small bores😀

Everyone has different wants and needs. you can take the advice but it really comes down to what will make you happy. 

Congrats on the Vulcan JFrazier! That thing will be awesome. Just curious before you move on though.. what pellets did you settle on for your Prod? I've tested tons of different ones and gotten it down to H&N FTT, Barracuda Match, Polymags and FX Smoothtwist pellets at 18 grains I believe. Any recommendations before I settle?

I've had my Marauder Pistol since 2011. And it's really accurate shooting the Crossman domes. So accurate that that I enjoy splitting grasshoppers in half from my young RedOaks.

But I always clean the pellets first with some dishwasher soap. It helps keep the PRod clean. 

And now, I think it's time to upgrade. So I've ordered a FX WildCat 22 from StraightShooters.com. It just seems like the next airgun for me. Clean, light and simple - but with the power and accuracy that FX delivers. Just waiting on the email indicating it's on it's way to me.