• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Should i store air rifle in a hard case or in a gun cabinet for protection

I keep my air rifle in a hard case , the ones that have the eggshell foam inside them. I see there's cabinets aswell but they cost significantly more. Are foam padded hard cases good enough to store the air rifle in without it rusting or internals/stock/barrel deteriorating

What do you use?

An airtight hard case is okay, provided you allow your gun to completely dry-out before storage. Depending on where you live, that might be a few hours or days with the gun out, before storing it away. You should also have a dry pack in your gun case that you can "recharge" periodically.

Right now I just have all my guns in the back of my closet. But I do have a hard case that I use on occasion. And I am building a gun safe myself. Hopefully the safe will be done by the end of summer.

Reactions: SHOMER
I would never store anything that can rust in a case, particularly one with eggshell foam, this from hard-learned experience. Some old soft cases with a fleece-like interior work well, but the only way to find out is the hard way. Airtight or not, unless you live in a very dry area, you are trapping the moisture in the air, and the foam, into a box with your rifle - an invitation to rust. Particularly if you store it somewhere where the temperature can vary.

GsT

Reactions: beerthief
My basement, where my guns are stored, is very dry in winter and during non-heating season I run a dehumidifier, not for the guns, it’s just so the basement doesn’t get musty. I have often, for months at a time kept airguns in the typical egg carton foam cases with zero rust. Unpainted bare metal does not rust in my basement. Lucky I guess.
My cases only go to the range and back or hunting and back. And they are never exposed to rain. If for some reason it’s rainy I will leave case open in basement to drop the possible humidity it absorbed.
The big plus on airguns is the majority of components are anodized aluminum and plastic, maybe some brass and stainless steel too. Typically the barrel straw is steel and that of course is the main worry.
I remember when pretty much all AR-15’s came with the now “coveted” white straw that was maybe treated with something to prevent bore rusting. An AR from back in that era is worth even more money if you still have the stupid straw. Collectors, God luv em.
I recently bought two Flambeau cases just for my Evol and Paradigm. They came with some dividers that are treated with something to prevent rust. I put them in even though my basement is dry. They create two rectangular areas for small odds and ends so they don’t end up hitting rifle, and would be a perfect place for some of those slica gel moisture absorbing bags.
Flambeau does caution in their instructions though that the egg carton foam could leave marks (shadows) on the blueing and recommends putting rifle in the plastic bag the rifle came in. To me an enclosed bag, and any moisture, is a recipe for disaster. My Flambeau’s don’t leave any marks but any exposed parts on my Evol and Paradigm are anodized or hard coat anodized, not blued steel. In my opinion, blued steel is much much more prone to rusting than any typical PCP. And that’s where springers come in, they are typically blued steel. I keep those in my gun safe. I can never hold on to anything so I try to keep them as factory perfect as possible because I never know when it will go up for sale.
There used to be a product called VBI, Vapor Barrier Inhibitor, which was intended for gun case, machinist tool boxes, etc. Not sure if they still exist. They were small foam blocks treated with something to eat moisture or exude some magic film.

I store in a gun safe with dehumidifier with my less used guns , guns i use i have on an open rack . My whole house including the basement (my stuff ) is temp and humidity controlled year around 24/7 never changes . Set a bit on the dry side .

EDIT . 10:27 AM just had a friend Email me asking if i change the temps when i go on vacation . I said no ,why would i do that ? I want my home to be instantly comfortable when i arrive home from anywhere . Maybe it is just me ?

Last edited:
Half the time I see used guns for sale, and they say the gun has “safe marks “. Must not be very safe in there, is it?
I guess if you don’t mind your guns getting dinged up, put them in there.
I think the Handling part is where safe marks come from or is blamed as the culprit for dings and scratches

Reactions: scottblair
Half the time I see used guns for sale, and they say the gun has “safe marks “. Must not be very safe in there, is it?
I guess if you don’t mind your guns getting dinged up, put them in there.

It is because they have more guns than room in the safe and so rather than getting another safe they pile the guns in there with no protection and then dig through them to find the one they want. My important PBs go in a safe, air rifles and lesser PBs go in a cabinet and some hang out in racks if I am using them.

room, bag, box, case hard or soft and not one word about what keeps metal from rusting, a good gun oil and that is Break Free for me
and how you store them is less to do with the case as it does to the wipe down you give them
you open the case wipe them down, you pick them up wipe them down, you shoot them wipe them down
and every time you do that and put them back in a hard case the foam takes on some of the gun oil and that also protects the metal
i have been lucky enough to live in a time period that Doskocil, Gun Guard and Plano made DXL cases and have been using them for 45 years

it is more about how you wipe down the metal then the case it's self
and this case argument has been going on forever and for those that have their rifle sitting on their butt pads, that is not ideal either

one thing that does attract moisture is dust

Reactions: fishing43
Marauders will absolutely rust in a moist environment, even if just surface rust. If I had to store one ina case I would get one of those purpose-made gun storage bags and use that inside the case, and maybe still throw in a bag of desiccant. You can get a small, inexpensive locking cabinet like a stack-on for the price of a good hard case. You can even bolt it to the wall if you’re so inclined.

I keep my air rifle in a hard case , the ones that have the eggshell foam inside them. I see there's cabinets aswell but they cost significantly more. Are foam padded hard cases good enough to store the air rifle in without it rusting or internals/stock/barrel deteriorating

What do you use?
Mine are literally either on a bench or the floor but then I'm not in a crazy humid area.