• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Should I spend $924 for a 97 Cu Ft tank?

Hello guys I’m in a little dilemma. I was thinking of getting a great white that’s a total of $924 to my door or a compressor & 45min Scott tank for around the same price. I’m also 13min away from a dive shop that fills to 4500psi so I don’t mind driving there. I only shoot at the range so I rather not get just a compressor. I do understand that I may have to buy better valves for a used tank and can’t get it filled if the inspection and life expired.

Reactions: dgeesaman
Hello guys I’m in a little dilemma. I was thinking of getting a great white that’s a total of $924 to my door or a compressor & 45min Scott tank for around the same price. I’m also 13min away from a dive shop that fills to 4500psi so I don’t mind driving there. I only shoot at the range so I rather not get just a compressor. I do understand that I may have to buy better valves for a used tank and can’t get it filled if the inspection and life expired.
If I was that close to a dive shop I personally would do this one lol. Saves quit a few hundred haha.

Lots of ways to fill our airguns. From a $60 hand pump to compressors costing thousands. I wouldn't spend nearly $1000 on a bottle but the availability of refills close to where you live makes it a viable choice. I'm happy with my YH and 45 minute (66 cubic foot) expired Scott air tank. Even with a high end fill set I have a lot less than $1000 on this setup. Maintenance on the YH has consisted in annual oil changes and one replacement O-ring. But someday I'm sure there will be more. One way to look at the compressor expense is how many bottle fills you need to get out of it to equal the cost of having the bottle filled by others. But no reason you can't buy either a compressor or bottle first and then decide later if you want to add the other device.

If I was that close to a dive shop I personally would do this one lol. Saves quit a few hundred haha.

i second this, JB has nice stuff, i have a couple , but his products are way over priced , you could purchase 2 bottles in the link posted & still have $$ left over..

personally, i wouldnt spend that much for a tank.

your local fire stations are a great place to score a tank (and future fills)
dont overlook them!

a bit of leg work can pay off.

ive got tanks from 50 bucks to free.

last tank (60min scba) cost me $20
If I had the money to spare, I would prefer to buy from Joe at Top Gun. For multiple reasons, a quality domestic product being among them.

I picked up one of those 2020DOM 74ctft tanks that were on sale for $375 from PA, the deal was too good to pass up. I'm probably gonna donate my 74cuft to a buddy and grab myself a Great White and a Guppy with dual gauges over the summer.

Reactions: beerthief
I travel with my weapons so the great white is nice to have for short trips to the range.
I’m seriously considering a small tank to take along for longer road trips just for easier portability, that being said I also have a cheaper compressor for around the house refilling. The compressor is inadequate for filling much more than the gun tank because of the time involved.
And I have a $35 Amazon hand pump that works well for everything except my TexanSS just as back up for extended back country adventures.

Reactions: rsfrid
If you’re not in a big hurry I suggest keeping a lookout in the classifieds… they don’t come up all that often and they sell fast if they are a good deal, so you have to stay on your toes or you will miss out.

I scored a 1 month old J.B. Tiger Shark with dual gauges, fill whip, and full armor for $600 shipped last year so there are deals to be had If you’re patient and vigilant.

Maybe find used aluminum 80's in want ads that a diver bought and just stopped/ gave it up diving and got his stuff for sale ..

$1000 bucks seems pretty steep for a 100 even if it was a top brand steel tank.

A 133cf steel is $390. Just from this place ..

https://www.diversdirect.com/p/fabe...b575a1d61e22ac44556aca43066415&objectID=80278

Glad im nolonger diving . My 80's were under 80$ each last 2 i bought. Ouch

Pcp overhead cost is for the birds. Thats some silly money just to shoot the gun ..lol. That tank cost alone buys a lot of tins of springer pellets then its just cock , load , shoot , repeat all day long ..lol

Anyway check the rest of the tanks out there and other online or your local scuba shop..

If you’re not in a big hurry I suggest keeping a lookout in the classifieds… they don’t come up all that often and they sell fast if they are a good deal, so you have to stay on your toes or you will miss out.

I scored a 1 month old J.B. Tiger Shark with dual gauges, fill whip, and full armor for $600 shipped last year so there are deals to be had If you’re patient and vigilant.
Someone read your mind. One was just posted in the classifieds

$1000 bucks seems pretty steep for a 100 even if it was a top brand steel tank.

A 133cf steel is $390. Just from this place ..

https://www.diversdirect.com/p/faber-blue-steel-fx-steel-cylinders?queryID=f2b575a1d61e22ac44556aca43066415&objectID=8080278
Max fill pressure on that steel tank is also only 3442psi (237bar).

At 160bar reg that steel tank can refill a 480cc cylinder to 230bar only ~3.5x.

A 97cuft Great White at 4500psi can refill that same 480cc cylinder to 250bar ~12.5x.

Reactions: beerthief

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1