• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Shot my best group in windy conditions

I got a chance to do some shooting yesterday. I don't normally do a lot of target shooting. i just use paper to test pellets, sight in a scope or troubleshoot. I was shooting my Hatsan Galatian. It was pretty windy so after the first group I decided to switch from JSB 18 gr to the Crosman Premier Ultra Magnums domes (CPUM) from the metal tin to save since they are super cheap. The first group was shot sighting in the scope and adjusting for the wind. The second group was shot when I switched to the CPUM to make scope adjustments and adjust to the wind. The third group is 10 shots with the CPUMs. 

"John_in_Ma"Great groups, though adjusting your windage for shooting in the wind is trouble. Do you re-zero the scope before hunting?
I don't hunt but what I meant by adjusting for wind is figuring out the POI with the wind. I did adjust the windage when I switched from the JSBs to the CPUMs because I know from experience that the CPUMs POI is about 1-2 inches right of the JSBs. In the second group when I got about 5 pellets at the same POI I shot the last group.

"blackdiesel"
"John_in_Ma"Great groups, though adjusting your windage for shooting in the wind is trouble. Do you re-zero the scope before hunting?
I don't hunt but what I meant by adjusting for wind is figuring out the POI with the wind. I did adjust the windage when I switched from the JSBs to the CPUMs because I know from experience that the CPUMs POI is about 1-2 inches right of the JSBs. In the second group when I got about 5 pellets at the same POI I shot the last group.
My Bad. Maybe I misread. I still stick to my statement. As a somewhat competitive shooter adjusting windage means clicking your turrets. Holding off for wind is akin to Kentucky windage.

"Ziabeam"Wish the wind blew like that where I shoot... I'd have to ask my wife...
"Honey does this group make my dime look fat?"
Quote of the day!!!!! "Love it....does this group make my dime look Fat"

I would say Norman's 3rd group made that dime look extremely over weight! Awesome shooting Norman. Who knew CUM could group like that? Ah, er....we gotta find another abbreviation for those Crosman Ultra Mag pellets dude! LOL

Fuss

"CampFussell"
"Ziabeam"Wish the wind blew like that where I shoot... I'd have to ask my wife...
"Honey does this group make my dime look fat?"
Quote of the day!!!!! "Love it....does this group make my dime look Fat"

I would say Norman's 3rd group made that dime look extremely over weight! Awesome shooting Norman. Who knew CUM could group like that? Ah, er....we gotta find another abbreviation for those Crosman Ultra Mag pellets dude! LOL

Fuss
Best reply!

"blackdiesel"No problem. I was just shooting for the joy of shooting so it wasn't a serious session. Most of my shooting is long range plinking. I re-zero my scope a lot because I use adjustable scope rings and extend my zero out to 150 yards at times.
If I had that range to shoot I'd still use .177 all the time is what I'd like to say .More likely though I would move to .22, .25 to make the best of it.

Norman, I can't hang with you brother. Took my big ol' Hawke off and slapped a little Mamba Lite on the ol' Cricket pup when I got off work. Shot these two groups at 28 yds with Mamba maxed out at 16 power so I could see the darn 1/4 inch squares. I use 28 yds a lot because that is my zero on all my rifles and pups.
Just got a few tins of the Edgun Pellets to try. (18.1 gr relabeled JSB's)
Man, I keep lookin' at that 3rd group you shot! I would have to use at least 30 power on the scope to see it at 50yds? LOL
Anyway this is the best I could do today at a whole 22 yds closer than what you shot. I'm still amazed at your group!

As Ziabeam would say....."Do these groups make my dime look fat" ? LOL