shooting in cold temperatures

Shot my verminator mk2 out to 50 and 100 yards. It's about 30 degrees Fahrenheit. Although I wasn't to disappointed with the group at 100 since it was a long shot. But when I shot at 50 I was a little disappointed. Eather it's the weather or I need to find its favorite pellet again. (Shooting jsbs 18.1) I'm thinking it does effects it. Also shot count on my rifle. Seems like my air went a lot faster in the cold weather. Not sure why.

Not really less accuracy but a change in poi is very common in "most" field target rig.s Also the combinations of materials in your rig , rifle, scope, mounts, all parts therin, expanding/contracting can effect harmonics and............ Mostly I just see shooting slightly slower and that is with a totally dry striker & such.

John

John

I'm shooting my .25 wildcat and noticed less accuracy on cold days. Just a few days ago it was mid 40's and a lazer beam and super accurate. Yesterday it was mid 30's and not as accurate. Today same temperatures so I left my rifle outside for 2 hours before shooting and its shooting a lot more accurate than yesterday.

That could be the reason FastEddie,
i also try that tomorrow.

@kyler2643
i also noticed the fast drop of shout count in cold temperatures, about 2weeks ago i pumpt up my Bobcat to 250bar and then after a few minutes outside i lost nearly 30bar, but it is because on cold temperatures compressed has not enough pressure like in warm Temps.

greets Patrick 

ps:Hope you guys could understand my Schoolenglish..

Just a few observations:

Agree with spysir for unreg'd guns. To avoid the POI change, just repressurise cylinder when temp has stabilised. Reg'd guns will see same pressure drop, but as long as the pressure remains above the reg setting there should be no change in POI (unless the gun lube viscosity is adversely affected by the reduced temp).

The Gas law explains pressure drop when temp of air in cylinder drops. It also tells us that pressure will increase as the temp of air in the cylinder increases. This is important to consider if you fill the cylinder to max pressure in the cold and then bring it into the warm.

With CO2 guns you may loose the ability to shoot altogether at lower temps, due to formation of ice.

I took my M-Rod out when it was in the mid-20s. It shot just fine.

A few days ago, I took my Gamo Bone Collector out in 5 degree weather. It still shot with no seemingly issues . . . the groups were total crap. But I think that was all me. Forgot to take the Pellet Pen out so had to hand load every pellet with exposed hands. The Gamo trigger/safety is not designed for gloved hands either. 

I just saw what happens when you shoot in cold weather. I'm going out coyote hunting tomorrow morning and I went out back to check my zero on my cricket. I setup my target at 50 yards and sent one pellet down range. My POI was low 1.5 mildots and a little to the left. I was pissed again at the cricket either had the hammer screw backed out again or I blow another barrel o-ring. I didn't understand it because last week the cricket was shooting almost hole in hole at 50 yards and I haven't touched it since. I decided I shouldn't take my cricket out tomorrow and try the matador. I took out the matador and this time I was low one mil at 50 yards when I knew I was shooting hole in hole just yesterday. This is when I knew something was up with this cold weather. We're having a cold-front moving in, and last night and tonight is suppose to be the coldest nights for this week. When I was shooting, the temp was about 42 fahrenheit and yesterday afternoon it was about 65.