• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Shooting at the range

I was shooting at the range today and there was several people shooting, someone wanted to go down range so they asked us if we could go cold and everyone was good with that, I was 2 lanes down from a person that was doing something with his gun, I politely said that I was going to go down range and would he put his gun down, was I wrong to ask him to do that, I get up from the bench and stand back if I don’t need to go down range

Nothing wrong with asking , but the problem is if the guy listens and complying.. some take offence unless its the other way around..lol.

Then theres the kind that you see why sportsman and gun owners get a bad rap..

Then thats the price you pay dealing with the public.. any nut off the street sitting next to you fixing to snap..

Last edited:
I was shooting at the range today and there was several people shooting, someone wanted to go down range so they asked us if we could go cold and everyone was good with that, I was 2 lanes down from a person that was doing something with his gun, I politely said that I was going to go down range and would he put his gun down, was I wrong to ask him to do that, I get up from the bench and stand back if I don’t need to go down range
you had every right to ask . At my range NOBODY TOUCHES a gun if someone go's down range .

You were correct. It's better to speak up than to take a round because of worry that someone might be offended.

Range policy should be that everyone stays away from the benches while the line is cold. That's after everything has been verified as cold and all actions are open.

A friend's husband just can't resist sweeping the people around him at the range. He's just that kind of idiot. He also can't understand why people don't want to go shooting with him. I'd get video to prove it, but then... I refuse to go shooting with him.

Stay safe,

J~

When I was active in centerfire BR, three or four of us practiced routinely at our local club. There is so much time spent cleaning barrels in that sport, we agreed that among us, it was okay to clean a barrel with other folks down range. There were usually no other members or guests present at the time. No, it was not a good practice, but sometimes common sense can make a difference.

No range instructor /supervisor? At my range when instructor call range cold , all weapons are made safe and put down, all shooters step away from bench and behind the blue line, and remain there till instructor pronounces range now hot.
My guess is it's out in the sticks, not a 'formal' range but good sense would say, get your ass up and get away from the trigger.

Breeches open and nobody touches their guns when the line is cold. That's the rules at the ranges I go to. So IMO you were perfectly in the right...unless your range rules happened to be different, but I highly doubt that. That's a fairly common basic rule.

Public ranges can sometimes suck, especially when some of the shooters obviously have no range or shooting experience. I'm seeing a huge increase in them, and they are often toting an AR or similar that they just bought....and have absolutely no idea how to use. They also tend to be paying more attention to their phones as they are trying to video themselves so they can presumably put the video on tiktok or some other nonsense site.

Couple months ago I had one of those people at the bench next to mine. I had to ask him twice in the span of about 10 minutes to not have his gun pointed at me since he kept laying it down on his bench sideways...pointing directly at my bench. I was much less polite the second time.

Idiots.

This is a private range, but they let you bring a guest, I had just got through talking to him about someone that was on the 300 yards range and was setting up target at 50 yards and the minimum for setting up a target is 100 yards and they asked them to go over to the 50 range. It is general rule that you step back from the bench, I have been a member for 2 years now , I have been there when where was class going on and the instructor would come over before you setup and ask you if you don’t mind when they go cold to step away from the bench