• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Shipping gear to EBR

Hi all,

Looking forward to attending EBR this year! This will be the 1st time for me and @oregun. We were thinking about driving from Oregon but decided to fly. That said, we're not sure how to get our gear there? Not really wanting to run it through the airlines (not sure if we even could). 

Anyone have experience shipping things to EBR? How did you do it? Who did you use? Cost? Where can you ship it to? AOA?

Thanks!

-Dave

I had emailed AOA about gear shipment they never replied. If your staying at a hotel you could ship to them. If you use UPS you can ship to one of their mail box locations and make prearrangements for them to receive and hold packages. I flying in also luckily I have family in Mesa that I can probably ship to as long as they are in town when EBR happens.

VERY easy to check at the airline counter. Declare that you have a GUN. Make sure the gun is degassed. Solid case (I used a Plano) with at least TWO locks that ONLY YOU have the key for, NOT TSA locks. They'll have you open and verify the contents. Although the rules say empty of pressure, they have never checked that on mine, perhaps because the guns I checked were tube guns, not bottle guns. Fill out the short paperwork (postcard size), then you're good. When you arrive at destination, your gun should be at the oversized luggage area where the golf clubs are... FYI, I have said GUN, not AIRGUN, and they never asked what kind of gun or any other questions like that. Remember, this is a Federal Government Agency, the TSA. The less they have to think, the better a chance that you won't be hassled...

So I'm going to be a massive wet blanket here and say, that after years and years of shipping things to customers, I ALWAYS try to talk customers out of shipping things to hotels. It is just such a bad idea for a million different reasons. Things get delayed, things get lost, bad things happen. 

Just two very easy to understand scenarios (they can get vastly more complicated):

You're shipping something to a hotel and it gets delayed and shows up after you've left. Then what happens? Somehow you've got to figure out how to get someone at the hotel to A) know what and where it is and prove who you are and where it should go and then B) get it shipped back to you. This all is non-trivial. 

Another common scenario is the item arrives on time, but the hotel doesn't know what to do with it. Keep in mind, you may feel like you had a very clear phone conversation with a hotel rep, but that person probably talks to hundreds of people per day, and is one of a dozen or more staff members working at that point in time. Your conversation was not memorable, and that person is unlikely to be the one who actually receives the package when it is delivered anyway. A real problem with businesses people don't realize is communication, how do you reliably communicate a non-standard request to everyone else on your shift and on the next shift with information which may not be important or relevant for a week or more? It is actually really really hard, not just for hotels. 

See what I'm getting at? So, again, while it doesn't always turn into a mess, based on my data it has about the same success rate as shipping something valuable to Russia (the other lowest probability delivery, yes it is worse than Azerbaijan by a substantial margin) ergo I would very much encourage you not to do it. 

Flip side of the coin is that, as Centercut noted, it is really easy to fly with firearms. A buddy of mine would actually toss a fare gun in his suitcase and check it as a "firearm" because firearms all ship chain-of-custody so at any given point in time there is a specific person whose ass is on the line if your weapon disappears. You on't be able to pick your suitcase up at the carousel, but that is a small price to pay for "it absolutely positively will show up." So yeah, of the three common options (ship it, drive, or fly w/ it checked) I'd probably go with flying with a checked firearm. 

I hope that is helpful. It is just my 2c on the subject. I'm sure someone here will tell me I'm crazy and they've shipped stuff to hotels no problem, but having made that mistake dozens of times now I guess I just can't recommend it. *shrug* 

Do not use comination locks, and if possible use locks that must have key inserted to relock. I have had combinations change in transit, and a key that must remain in lock when unlocked allows owner to observe the closing of gun case, as they should return key to gun owner. Use at least two locks if possible, and not TSA locks, or at least only one TSA with real locks to comfirm security.

Hi all,

Looking forward to attending EBR this year! This will be the 1st time for me and @oregun. We were thinking about driving from Oregon but decided to fly. That said, we're not sure how to get our gear there? Not really wanting to run it through the airlines (not sure if we even could). 

Anyone have experience shipping things to EBR? How did you do it? Who did you use? Cost? Where can you ship it to? AOA?

Thanks!

-Dave

Thanks for posting, Dave!

Lot of good suggestions. I'm leaning towards sending our gear to AoA. It's gonna cost us more dough... however, dealing with the airlines in the Peoples Republic of Portland may be a hassle.

--Carl

Thanks all for the great advice. That's why I love this forum, there is a wealth of knowledge and people are always willing to share it.

I have to say, while I'm looking forward to competing at EBR, I'm more interested in meeting some of the great people I've met on this forum.

Thanks all and have a great/safe 4th! -Dave