• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

semi-auto & flocks: ethical double take?

bokes

Apr 26, 2015
CA
I would not want to take a shot at a critter unless I would feel confident it's a humane one (brain or heart/lung). For those of you who've tried a semi-auto with a flock of pests, like pigeons, starlings, rats... Did you find that you had enough time to line up on critter #2 & get a humane shot off before the flock takes off?

I always shoot with a DonnyFL moderator attached to my guns. Very quiet on my end, the flight of the pellet is a different story. I have to agree with Hookster, pellets make a pretty distinct noise. In regards to birds, I just shoot starlings. Most of the time I do not get a second shot, not because I am not able to acquire the shot, but they fact that they almost always all fly off. The sound of the pellet hitting a starling is loud, a very distinct pop that freaks them out. If I shoot my wood target, they stay put, so the sound of the pellet traveling down range does not bother them. Its the pop of the impact and their buddy saying, "good bye cruel world" that bugs them out. Haha. 

Squirrels at not as smart. I can get a bunch of them in my yard and take them all out without a problem. Just last week I took out 4 within 20 min and 3 back to back. If they are playing with one another and you take out one of them, the others just pause and try to figure out what happened. While their buddy is doing the dance of death, line up on the one enjoying the show and take him out. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.