• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Semi-Auto air gun

I've had several PCP semi-auto air guns. I've had a Hatsan Galatian Semi-auto, which was clearly the worst, no power, bad accuracy and a trigger that was near impossible to pull. Then I had an Evanix Air Speed, accuracy was very inconsistent and Evanix Customer Service was all but non-existent. I also had an AEA Back-packer, it was accurate, but the semi-auto did not cycle if it was filled to the maximum pressure. It probably could have been a great airgun if it had been regulated to the pressure where it would reliably cycle. Then I got a SAM, good accuracy, but power did not match what was advertised. Of the previous 3, it was clearly on top, until I got the Huben. Thus far the Huben has been the best, great accuracy, high shot count, plenty of power, large pellet capacity and solid build. In my opinion, any of the semi-auto airguns you mention would be a step back from the Huben, but then, I've had pretty good luck with mine thus far.

I have an AEA SS HP .22 cal semi-auto. It works fine; quarter size groups at 50 yards on a calm day, not regulated so you get about a 1 inch drop from shot 1 to shot 24. The trigger is really stiff, but for $500 I think you get a good value. Semi-auto is a really nice feature. I have had it since January and no problems. How do I like it? I just bought another at .30 cal, should be here tomorrow.

12.1624415061.jpg

i have two hatsans a sortie and a blitz .. why, i imagined the potential ive plinked and hunted with a 22lr semiauto for 50 years ... both are in 22 and neither are perfect and needed work - the sortie is a low shot count but enough but had a factory defective barrel ie, no rifling .. ive since had a lothar barrel made but have yet to install finish it, work in progress ... the blitz is very hard hitting and decently accurate and is capable of serious damage, high hopes for that one but the trigger is terrible .. it just needs some time and work .. i think hatsan made the triggers stiff on purpose on the semis because they can inflict so much damage quickly and figured that would slow down anyone going full retard .. but its nothing that cant be fixed ... so do i like them ...yes .. i consider them the pinnacle of my collection .. but they 'are' projects .. one needs to be mechanically inclined to really make them shine ... and i would say any semi auto at all is going to take constant and vigilant attention to the action and tuning to keep them in good working order .. its not like a bolt where you can forget about it for months of shooting at a time ...

Wanting to experience the semi auto cycling option I purchased an early AEA Back Packer because of it's much cheaper at the time price point. So what did I get for my frog skins? Well it's very accurate and the semi auto feature is great for engaging multi targets. Unfortunately being unregulated the semi auto feature does not cycle correctly if filled to the gun's maximum pressure. So the simple work around is to keep it's pressure under 2600 where it will reliably cycle, maybe AEA will bring fore some regulation device. Bottom line even with odd limits, it's still a very hard hitting and entertaining semi auto for my precious frog skins.

yeagger - maybe some further detail when you say "I had a Huben K1 and It did not like me I think." in your original post.

I recently (last Friday) received an 04/2021 production K1. I've only had it out for maybe 4 shooting sessions, but I am getting to grips with it pretty well.

FOR ME-

1) I am one who shoots a traditionally stocked rifle accurately more easily than a bullpup like the Huben;

2) The semi-auto action of the Huben makes it even a bit more difficult for me to shoot consistently/accurately as it has somewhat of a bi-directional recoil like a springer;

3) My K1 has operated flawlessly through the 500 or so pellets I have put through it so far;

4) Although Kelly at KRAZ Cool says that they seem to like heavier pellets best, mine was more accurate at longer ranges (I have 61 yards in my back yard) for me with the 25.39 pellets than with the 33.95 pellets (mine is a .25). I guess because of less recoil & muzzle flip - pushing a lighter pellet, and with the gun set at a lower power level.

5) I don't think that my K1 will ever become my go-to rifle for long distance accuracy work (although it probably has that potential in the hands of a better shooter than me), but after a short time with it my 61 yard 5-shot groups are at least down into the 0.8-0.9" range, with many fewer flyers than I was originally having with it.

For me a SA air gun is a bit of a novelty. I may find that I eventually use it at the range to deal with some of the ground squirrels who are trying to destroy our safety berms. But currently that role is being addressed with an Impact Compact, so the K1 has some pretty big shoes to fill.

So maybe let us know a little more about your less-than-stellar experience with the K1, and maybe a little more on how you intend to use your upcoming SA air rifle purchase.

I had wanted a reliable and precise semi auto ever since I bought my Steyr LP5 pistol 20 years ago. I tried to be content with BB guns, most of which broke soon after purchase, but they were pretty much just throw away quality. Then I bought a FX Revolution which was a total POS that couldn't even be fixed, what a mistake that was.

I'm glad I waited until I was able to get into a used Steyr ProX which is what I was after when I found out they existed. It's nearly the perfect semiauto air rifle. It's precise, reliable, great ergos, has a good trigger, removable 10shot mags that are high quality machined aluminum, and has a decent shot count. 

I would have bought the Huben, it was my #2 choice, but I wanted removable mags. 

I had wanted a reliable and precise semi auto ever since I bought my Steyr LP5 pistol 20 years ago. I tried to be content with BB guns, most of which broke soon after purchase, but they were pretty much just throw away quality. Then I bought a FX Revolution which was a total POS that couldn't even be fixed, what a mistake that was.

I'm glad I waited until I was able to get into a used Steyr ProX which is what I was after when I found out they existed. It's nearly the perfect semiauto air rifle. It's precise, reliable, great ergos, has a good trigger, removable 10shot mags that are high quality machined aluminum, and has a decent shot count. 

I would have bought the Huben, it was my #2 choice, but I wanted removable mags.

Argh! I wish you hadn’t said this Steve. Every time I talk myself out of looking at the Steyr because of the price someone goes and posts something about how wonderful the Steyr Pro X is :-(

TMH has been keeping me updated on the progress of his journey with the Huben K1 and I was moving closer and closer to pulling the trigger on one. Now I’m looking at Steyr’s again. Damn you ….LOL….

I really love the idea of the removable magazine too…..

Chris

I also went with the Huben 2021 version in .22 over the Leshiy 2 and LCS. I ended up with a manufactures "known issue" with the magazine release lever breaking where the pin goes through it, almost right away - "weak metal, bad batch" I was told. That happened only after shooting maybe 30 rounds. It is being fixed under warranty but still takes some of the enjoyment of owning it away at the beginning obviously. Going to be at least a month turn around to try again. I have no idea how it shoots accuracy wise, but the speed and deviation was consistent at 950 with 25 grain pellets first 30 rounds. This should translate in to accuracy with the speed turned down to 915-925. Shooting those 30 rounds was pretty fun though and I don't regret going Huben over Leshiy. I did however buy a Lelya 2 .25 so Ed does have some of my money.

I did want a Leshiy 2 but the power is a little lacking in stock form, and the price is very high compared to the Huben. The LCS was too pricy also and just looked like an FX. Seems you have to do a lot of modifications to the Leshiy also to make it "right" or buy the $2800 Python Edition. So I hung my hat on the Huben. We shall see...

@chrisis: I’m in the same boat as you and I kick myself every time when checking out stuff on Krale because they were 600 dollars cheaper and shipped to my door. I should of listened to the great Yo and bought a ProX back then, now I don’t even want to buy one thanks to the monopoly in the US market.

Oh man, $600 less. Wow. That’s a lot. Sigh….. no choice now though, only one vendor in the US. I must say they have been helpful to me on an issue I had with my Steyr LP50 HP magazines. Called me back, walked me through how to adjust the headspace on the barrel, answered any questions I had. Pretty good service.