• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Scope Recomendation

I'm trying to help a friend with a rat problem. He has a hazelnut grove next to his house and it is overrun with rats and mice and they're getting into his house. I tried to use my DIY nightvision system to help him out, but the distances are too close to focus. I'd be shooting between 2-35 yards. They have no fear of humans, but I need to be able to see them to shoot them. At 4-5 yards my scope works, but anything closer I can't focus on it. So I need something with a short focus distance. During the day I could just shoot them with open sites, but I night I need the scope cam.

Rats are fast learners. 2 yards unlikely to stay 2 yards for long.

From left field:

If you got a pair of cheap 2.0 strength reading glasses (we have poundland, perhaps you have dollarland where everything is a dollar) with the largest lens you can find.

Make a clip on scope objective lens cover with a cutout such that the main area of a reading lens totally covers it.

Then, you can pop the scope's reading glasses on whenever it needs to do close-up work.

This post may seem like a joke, but I think it would work.

As an alternative, if you have plenty of light or Infrared illumination to work with at night, then putting -say - a half inch aperture over your objective may give you enough depth of field to be able to focus close-up.

OK, so my .22 P-rod has a scope for a Crossbow on it. Turns out that one is able to focus at the distances I need. I'm building an attachment for the night vision kit on it now. Should be ready as soon as the replacement lens comes for the camera. Then I'll have two NV equipped riffles and I can move the one on the .25 Marauder to the Bulldog if I should ever need it.