• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Scope Leveling

Just curious, but did a search on AGN and didn't find much. Anyway, here is how I level my scope..... (anyone doing it differently?)

First, using a bubble level I stole out of a bullet level (easily gotten from Walmart) I level the rifle using an adjustable rifle mount set with the bubble set on the rail. You can see the bubble level behind the rear scope mount. Scope screws are just loose enough to rotate the scope.

Then, once the rifle is level, use another bubble level to level the scope. Once level, I begin the delicate task of evenly tightening the scope mount screws (with threadlock applied) so when they are all tight the scope is still level with the rail level.

This method works for me. Anyone gotta different approach?

Unfortunately barrels are seldom perfectly straight and aligned with the action and or the bores are not perfectly aligned inside the barrel; or all of the above.

This is the definitive method for getting it all together between the scope axis and the bore, at the place that counts which is the muzzle. (Mike Nelson gave us this ten years ago).

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/thread/1136083458/Scope+bore+alignment+tool

When adjusted according to the above procedure, one of my good rifles appears to have the scope rotated somewhat off alignment. It has a bent barrel. If I adjust the scope to the receiver in the manner that you and many others use, then the rifle will shoot further and further to the left as the range increases. There would be no way I could shoot with precision, to the extreme ranges I do, if I leveled that rifle with spirit bubbles.

However if you are satisfied with your results at the ranges you shoot then that is all that matters.
A fair (not perfect) test of alignment is to zero at say 15 or 20 yards on a vertical drawn line. Plumb the line with a bob and string; wind the sight up to near its limit, or aim using the point where the vertical cross hair meets the bottom of the sight picture; shoot another group ensuring the vertical cross hair is aligned to the plumb line (to prevent your own possible cant); and check if the group centres on the plumb line. If it is left or right of the line then the scope needs to be rotated to make it correct. When correct you should be able to click or use holdover/under and be on target in calm conditions to any range.
Kind regards, Harry. Sp edit

I bought that entire mounting kit. Works well! Basically, just make sure bottom parts of mount is being pushed forward and down as you torque screws.

Place scope(which is a round steel tube in kit not the SCOPE!) on bottom mount. Attach top half of mount loosely and twist "tube" left, right and forward and backwards so you know its smooth mount.

Mount scope and line up scope with magnetic levelers. I ABSOLUTELY ADVISE YOU THE BEST TOOL IS THE TORQUE SCREWDRIVER.

Tighten the screws the proper way and you should be all good.