• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

SCOPE INCONSISTENCY - INHERENT?

I've been using a medium priced Crosman on my GAMO. After I zeroing it, its perfect: a pleasure to use. Wait! Next day it's off and need adjustment. Zeroed again: no problem. Next day, have to re-adjust it. Are scopes under a $100 inherently inconsistent, react to the weather, need a couple of rounds to make it feel better (that happens with mine), are asking to be cleaned a bit? What's the story?

The few UTG scopes I've owned have been heavy, but I never had much issues with them holding zero. If its a springer here are a few tips that may help with the zeroing problem before you go scope shopping. Sometimes scope turrets on cheaper scopes need a small thump or a knock to help them adjust. To do this you can either tap a small piece of wood near the scope turrets or on the turret caps, or in the case of a springer fire it several times before checking zero again. Also in the case of springers pay close attention to whether the scope is rated for airgun use or not. Those that are should be able to handle life on a springer. Keep in mind just because a scope can handle the recoil on a 30-30 doesn't mean it can handle both the backward, and forward recoil of a springer.

For what its worth the more powerful Gamo, Hatsan, and Diana spring rifles are known to be pretty brutal scope eaters. If you just happen to have this problem then you may want to look into a scope mount designed to reduce some of the recoil transmitted to the scope.

I'll go back to the videos (above) and get a scope he recommends. Crosmans are junk and the company i've dealt with many times is just as bad...Getting tired of tapping the scope, waiting for the moon to turn blue, and speaking to tech reps who don't know squat or are just not interested. I appreciate the help I've gotten here and the comments pretty much confirm that some scopes (lower end) are inherently inconsistent. Thanks. I'll spend a couple more bucks and try to enjoy this retirement hobby.

Get rid of that scope before you go nuts. I have several Leapers/UTG scopes and they are very good for the money. They hold zero and can take the bidirectional shock of a springer. For the 100 to 150 dollar range you can't go wrong. Good luck. Oh also. Make sure you get new (good scope rings) don't use the ones that came with that Crosman scope and make sure you have a scope stop on that Gamo. For some reason they tend to creep back.

The UTG scopes tend to be ok for the money. I have had a couple with mixed results depending on expectations. I am shooting field target, so I expect it to snap in and out of focus for ranging and return to zero after I click the elevation adjustment for every shot. The UTGs generaly hold up ok, but focus is a little vague and the click adjustments are not always the 1/8 moa that you are counting on. I use a Leupold 6.5-20 EFR on my HW97 and it is an excellent scope. I have A Leupold FX-3 12x on my TX200, that is also a good scope. Even so it is not unusual for the first shot when I pick the rifles up for the day to land outside of the group- that is just a springer thing.

Just bought Hawke Sport Optics Vantage 2-7x32 AO Mil Dot Riflescope from Amazon (with free returns). I'll see how that goes. Also just got a message from my grand-daughter. She sent me a UTG 3-12X44 30mm Compact Scope, AO, 36-color Mil-dot! I did some research on this and I think its a good scope but heavy. At 78y/o, the lighter the better. Am also thinking of UTG 4X32 1" Hunter Scope, Mil-dot, which is under $40 at Amazon. Thanks for all the help. As you know, scopes, guns, mounts are enough to drive you up a wall! Old age doesn't help the mental process sorting out good from bad.

"T3PRanch"For Under $100 I have been liking the UTG "Bug Buster" lately. I now have 3! 

Since I ran out of Grackles I have been shooting "Yellow Jacket Wasp" with my Marauder .25 using a Bug Buster. 
Bait is watermelon rind at 20 yards! ;)

Thurmond
I have the bug buster on my Marauder .22 pistol. Quick pic..
8faa949de51d8e7ea14b670ef07eba4c.jpg

New twist in the problem. It may be answer (at least one) for inconsistency. I've been using a Sniper scope mount. I checked it out to mount another scope and saw that the recoil pin in the mount is bent, i.e. its not handling the recoil. Therefore, recoil is probably shaking the scope out of zero inconsistently. Next problem: good mounts/rings for the GAMO. I also saw that the recoil hole in the barrel is larger than all of the posts in the rings or mounts that I have. It seems that the large hole would allow the post to shift. Have to deal with that reality. Thanks for your help.

Right. Love springers eh?
So if it's slipped far enough to damage the pin, did the hole get rounded out also?

You'll need a very good mount/rings, perhaps BKL , never had a set move on RWS48/54's.

A tune to make it cycle smoother might be something you and the scopes would enjoy.

Just a thought here, you could get 2 BSA scopes with a great warrenty for right at $100.00, keep a spare and if you don't need it long enough, well might need a new airgun to put under it.
John

Engliss44 how did you repair the rounded out/ elongated hole where the stop pin goes? I've just returned from a months fishing and camping and had lent one of my gas rams to one of my sons. Seems he really enjoyed it to the extent that I now have a moving poi. The scope is brand new (nearly) and I noticed the enlarged hole when trying to figure out why my poi was changing.
I was thinking of drilling another hole but I thought I would ask you first.