• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

S&W 79G Reseal

Was given an S&W 79G last week that had set up for a long time. Covered with dirt and still had one of the old top hat crimped CO2 cartridges in it. Didn't expect much, but put in a fresh CO2 cartridge and it shot very well. When I put in the second CO2 cartridge, it leaked out in about five seconds. Didn't surprise me. Got a seal kit and took gun apart. All the old seals were toast. Wonder the gun even fired on the first CO2 cartridge. Didn't think I'd ever get the valve apart, but gentle heat and brute force finally got it apart, so I'll get it cleaned up and get it back together with the new seals. Wish the exhaust valve seal would have been included in the seal kit. Maybe it's seal will hold up. If not, I'll have to replace it also. These were fine looking guns when made.

Then the S&W 79G will go well with my Crosman Mark 1, Crosman 600 and Crosman 115. These are all classics and a lot of fun to shoot. Crosman did make some nice all metal guns back then.