• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

S&W 79G age and trigger question

I just picked up a S&W 79G. I had one when I was a kid and have always wanted another one. This one is in very nice shape. The serial number is QO11831. Does anyone know what year is was made? My next question is how do I know if it is the model with the adjustable trigger? I see there is a set screw in front of the trigger that would appear to be there for trigger adjustment. From reading the earlier pistols were a more shinny black finish with the later pistols being a more matt black finish. This one is shinny so I am thinking it may be an earlier model with an adjustable trigger. Thanks

I got interested and got two, and had them restored. One is an older model with the little set screw in the trigger which is for adjustment. The other, newer one lacks the set screw for adjustment. and trigger while good is not nearly as good. No idea of age or how to find out, All I can say is they are both fine shooting guns I think clockwise lightens the pull, too much and sear will not set. Have fun. What I like is the gun is so similar to in shape and trigger to my S&W M41 .22LR target pistol

Does anyone know if ALL the earlier adjustable trigger models had the two stage (low power & high power) cocking feature? I ask as I do have the adjustable trigger but do not have the dual low/high cocking feature. Based off how easy it is to cock and the cocking arms hardly moving forward after the pistol is cocked I am wondering if something is wrong and not allowing the pistol to be cocked to the high power level.

I just looked at mine, It seems to have two cocking positions. Next thing is to put in a cartridge and go out and give it a try.

I loaded it up and dry fired a couple of times. It fired and sounded ok with cocking "knobs" either in all the way forward, fully cocked or in mid or halfway position. When I fired with a pellet and know in mid position I could see pellet in sight and it looked like I was spitting a watermelon seed, so I guess just one power level for me.

I looked at that Mac1 link and don't get much out of it. Looked a little harder and found an on line copy of owners manual and it simply says open bolt. close adjustment screw under muzzle clockwise to increase power and counterclockwise to lessen. I unscrewed it almost all the way out and power was really down, so back in a few time and can tell lower power, but still flat enough shooting at about 12 yards.