• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

S.C.B.A Tank setup

In 8/24 it will be 30 years old (born in 1994).

I know a lot of people here will say there is nothing wrong with using an expired tank, and if one bought one new today, and KNEW how it was handled over the next 30 years, I might agree. But personally, not knowing what that tank has been thru, I don't think I'd use it.

A brand new tank is $600. A used one that is 15 years old cheaper. The measuring stick I'd use to determine what to do would be, "What is my life worth to me?"
great point and well said.. however I don't think I better use that theory with all my air gun things.. because, well I don't know if guns are retested and thinking about the high pressure..in that way I might not use PCPs.. because I don't know if or when one might fail although they are much younger.. I think my oldest is 7-8 years old..
also I will have to say that I am a bit leary of all the air tanks I have seen.. guess I am not very confident in carbon fiber.. guess I'm just used to old heavy welding tanks.. that said I had a nitrogen tank and last time I took it in for exchange, it's what airgas does for private tanks and I don't have to bother with hydro test or recertify or valves, anyway I mentioned to them I was not thrilled with having a,I think 45cuft tank that had no lid for the valve and they gladly gave me one with the lid..
why don't the air tanks have lids or at least a protective handle on the valve like a CO2 tank??

so now I'm pretty worried about filling it.. do you all have any suggestions on a good tank? do I get a newer fireman tank or something else?
I'd really like it to have a flat bottom for standing up..
plus I'd really like having something to protect the valve

They would likely not test it, as it is well beyond its service life. In light of recent posts, and seeing it is not fully encapsulated in carbon fiber, personally I would replace it with a newer old bottle.
yes they won't even look at it.. ok please let me know what tanks are available.. hopefully flat bottom.. hopefully something that protects the valve?

Two things make me confident in using my expired Scott firemans tank. First is the Navy report saying in their total experience involving tests of thousands of tanks the only damage they have seen is to the threads from hydro testing. No exploding bottles or anything close to that. The other thing is the tests that were done and posted on this website (by someone else) showing a carbon fiber tank tested to serious overpressure (I think it was over 6000 psi but my memory isn't great) with a big chunk out of the carbon fiber. It did not fail until a pressure my Yong Heng cannot possibly reach. I wouldn't use a tank with obvious significant carbon fiber damage either. I am confident the worst thing that will happen is the aluminum liner will leak so the tank will leak and I will replace it. I doubt even that happens, however. I am careful to trap water before it gets into the bottle and I keep my bottle in a wooden tray that protects it and the fill set from bump type damage.

Take it to a professional fill center and have it tested/serviced!!!
"Professional Fill center"??? They cannot extend the life of SCBA tanks past 15 years they can only do the 5- & 10-year hydro testing. And the ACTUAL company that does MAE testing wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole, it's essentially expired. The only one place in America (that I am aware of) that is authorized to extend it 15 years past the initial 15 years of hydro testing (vial to have it tested after it's 15 years old (Hexagon Digital Wave, using MAE testing), and it's rather pricey to ship it, have it tested, and ship it back. Cheaper to buy a brand new tank and start all over. (There may well be other places that do it nowadays, as the popularity of SCBA tanks increases; but I'd ask to see their licensure to extend the life past 15 years, were it me paying to have it done.)

yes they won't even look at it.. ok please let me know what tanks are available.. hopefully flat bottom.. hopefully something that protects the valve?
Nothing flat bottomed exists, they wouldn't have the strength to handle the pressure I am guessing (though I have never studied such).

Just get a boot for it. I put these on my 9L SCBA tank:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SKJ99WI/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H59GB2V/

Get an extended life tank from Pyramid Air. Article here (but I didn't find them on the PA site):

They do sell refurbidhed tanks with fresh hydros for a tad less: