• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

RWS 460 Magnum (refurb) for $350.00!!!

Mentolio,

I think you will be satisfied with your 460 Magnum. I opted for the fancier stock (thumb hole) and designation of 470. The gun is heavy, especially with the Hawke 6.5 to 20 Sidewinder that I mounted. I had to return my rifle after 824 documented rounds when I noted a 240 fps drop in velocity. The rebuilt rifle has consumed around three thousand pellets now and is still going strong. It is also extremely accurate with the JSB 18.1 gr pellets. Enjoy! I know you will have a blast with it!

I got a box today...

Not packaged like most guns I've bought (no styrofoam stuff).

...and here it is, a thing of beauty!

I plan on shooting over the Chrony tomorrow, and doing some accuracy testing if time permits, just to get a pre-break in base line regarding performance. I may also review it from a point of view other than a professional reviewer.

Here are some quick numbers for the refurb 460:

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Crosman Premier 14.3 domes, Brown box (most pellets fit snugly in breech)[/color] Average: 778.1, ES: 25.32, SD: 7.14...not this gun's favorite by a wide margin. RWS Superdome 14.5 (most pellets were loose fit in breech) Average: 803.3, ES: 18.03, SD: 7.14...not bad at all, but these pellets usually present good numbers on the Chrony, then group rather poorly in my other guns. We'll see... H&N FTT 14.66 domes (all a consistent snug fit) Average: 768.0, ES: 8.96(!), SD: 2.82(!)...ok, now we're getting somewhere. JSB Exact Jumbo 18.13 domes (all a fairly loose fit in breech) Average: 700.3, ES: 13.12, SD: 4.58...this is potentially the best showing I've had from this pellet from any of my guns. I'd have liked to see a bit higher velocity, but really did meet expectations. I was going to end it there, but decided to try my lightest lead pellet, and my most "agreeable" pellet (the JSB 15.89 seems to shoot well out of most of the guns I've tried with it). H&N Hollow Point 12.65 (mostly a snug fit, but these are not real consistent in size) Average: 872.9, ES: 16.7 (better than expected), SD: 4.35, I am curious to see if these group well, as the numbers weren't bad. JSB Exact Jumbo 15.89 dome (consistent loose feel in breech) Average: 771.3, ES: 17.29, SD: 6.24...ES would have been 12.1 without one pellet (shot #2 went 782 FPS). This seems to happen often with JSBs: I'll get 8 or 9 shots out of 10 that are all within 10 or less FPS, Then I get one or two that are not even in the same zip code. 

Then I shot some quick groups with the JSB 15.89 and H&N FTTs:

5 shots with the H&Ns at 25 yards, seated on the ground, and using my left knee as a rest

5 shots with the JSB 15.89, same range and posture

Actually, the 18.13s and the H&N Hollow Points grouped really well too, with not scope adjustment (no pics, pellets basically landed in the same spots). Of note: I had to use a lot of elevation adjustment to bring the POI DOWN to the POA. This says to me that the 20 degrees of droop compensation is too much. I may get by without a "dropper mount" all together.

Hi Mentolio, looks like it's going pretty well with your new 460 Magnum....... :eek:)

I haven't chronographed any of the pellets I've shot through my 34 .22, or the 54 .22 I returned, as I just use 10 shot groups @ 20 yards for accuracy testing. But just wanted to pass along that my best groups by far, and in both guns, came with the RWS Super-H-Points. As I got the pellets only 2-3 weeks ago, haven't done a ton of testing with them. So far at least, there've been no fliers, just nice, tight, dime sized clusters. Anyway, I was impressed enough to order in another 1500 of them...... :eek:)

Just thought you might like the info.

Chuck