• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Rut Ro It is a 760!

If anyone checked out my introduce myself they would have a bit of background on what this post is about. If you hadn't then here is a bit to get you up to speed. When I was a kid some 41 years ago I had a Crosman 760. My dad got it for me on my 13th birthday. I was pretty good with it for a smooth bore. I won 10 bucks off my older brother for shooting a fly of my target box at maybe 8 to 10 yards. I can still picture the legs splattered on the red fox target pinned to my box. (Never did collect the 10 bucks). 
Well enough of the back story. I just snagged a vintage 760 off the Bay for a bit more then I wanted to spend but obviously not much more because I bought it. Low and behold it has a production date of 0576. Woo whoo! Almost like being reunited with an old friend. Oh yeah by the way the front sight is missing just like my old one. Now for a Weaver rimfire scope and mount. Just like the old days. I'm sure it will need a bit of refreshing but nothing I don't mind doing. Doing my happy dance!

0576 showed up on my doorstep today! Unboxed it got a suprize it indeed has a wooden forearm and BB's in the magazine. Pumped it three times and buried that round ball flush with the drywall in the garage. My youngest daughter just shook her head and walked in the house. What's a 21year old know anyways. Remarkably it is in better shape then I expected! Only one scratch on the receiver no rust the barrel. A bit of minor corrosion around the barrel support. Plenty of dust in the bolt track nothing a good tear down and cleaning won't fix. This thing must have been a closet queen! Going to open it and determine exactly what mix match of parts is in it. Found out it could have multiple versions of variant parts as Crosman wasn't really makin the complete switch between variants using up Instock parts before completely transitioning to the next variant. 76 is one of those years according to John at JG Airguns. Wooo Whooo let the good times roll!

Tore down the 760 last night. Quite a nice suprise to see that it is a flat top air chamber and piston. This one is all old school! Only three plastic parts. BB door, BB latch, and butt stock.
Started cycling parts through the ultrasonic cleaner and cleaning the barrel. After a good soak in Kroil and two dozen patches down the bore I gazed into the muzzle and low and behold there is rifling in it! Stripped the receiver and shot it with some fresh glossy black. Reseal kit ordered from JG Airguns. Going to reassemble it shoot it for awhile before I consider any mods.

My wife, at my behest, searched The Closet Of Lost Gold (cue Indiana Jones theme here) for my Crosman 760 Powermaster, variant one. Built from 1966-70, the code number is on the front of the pump tube cap. Mine was stamped "68", meaning June 1968. So look at the front of the pump tube cap for the numbers on the V1's. It needs a seal kit, since, as usual, the piston seal and bolt seal are gone. Mac1 has a seal kit with piston upgrade included I'm going to get.
​Also, the rifled barrel off the 761xl fits the old metal-action V1's like mine. At least that one. Very hard to locate, however! Anyway, here's a pic of it after cleaning it up with patches and some Rem-Oil in the barrel bore and outside.

​And trying on the Centerpoint 4x32 off the Optimus for size. I swapped a Winchester 3-9x32 onto the optimus I gave my son for his birthday last April. The Centerpoint 4x32 is about $39 on average to buy.