• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Researching PCP air rifles for purchase

In my efforts to research pcp air rifles for purchase I have reached the following conclusions and bits of information. I have listed quick takes and anyone can address them as they see fit. I am also including what I found to be interesting data while doing research for my latest pcp purchase. I have purchased a total of 7 pcp's including the latest one. I currently have 4 and will probably keep it at that number for the foreseeable future. I would be curious what others think the data could mean or signify. I give my conclusions below. Keep in mind we are talking about PCP's only here and these are my observations / opinions / conclusions.

1) There is a whole bunch of information out there and available. It is very difficult to sort through it because of the volume and bias of the providers. For example:several providers, the individual produces promote / use specific products. Those products used can / have changed over the time (years). The same goes for on line reviews, articles and blogs. It is not impossible but difficult to find anything truly unbiased. We are all human and have our own motivations and preferences. Just like trucks. Some people are hard core Ford other s Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan.... etc. This also applies to Air rifles.

2) There is a lack of good useful practical information presented in way to educate people on the basic principles of pcp rifles. How they work and why. How the ballistics of various projectiles / pellets work and why. What type and kind of scope to use for the kind of shooting you plan to do. Everyone has an opinion, very few take the time to clarify why they have opinion and what application it is good for. I personally am a hands on learner. Show me something in person a couple times and then let me have at it. I can't stop the presenter in a video / review /article to ask them any questions specific to my intended use. Inquiries can be submitted but you are at the whim of the content provider as to if or when they respond to your question(s). I want an answer now!!! Air rifles are a tool to be used with a specific goal in mind to each individual user. The best answer to this question when I have asked, short of 1 on 1 personal training, is to join a club. Either one is not always feasible or possible for everyone.

3) An educated customer is a happy customer. I have my own business (Glazing contractor: glass work) and I spend more time initially with a potential customer asking : (who, what, where, how, why and when questions) to find out how I can best fulfill their needs. Any seller wants to sell what they have on hand or available to them obviously but we are not talking about the purchase of a $42.85 wrench set. Most purchases range from several hundred up to a couple thousand dollars or more. More on this later.

4) Someone should come up with an education format to inform people from the basics for newbies to intermediate and advanced topics for experienced users. Something that is interactive where people can ask and get specific questions answered. I know I would be willing to and have paid (and will in the future) to be "educated" in some of these areas. It pays in the long run because of the initial expense in getting started with pcp's. When I set out to buy an air rifle I know what I intend to use it for and have specific goals in mind. I want to buy something that will accomplish those goals with no or minimal modification by me after the fact. Others may want something that they can monkey with. Again individual choice. By being informed you can make those choices.

5) Safety issues. Being uninformed and uneducated can lead to people being imprudent in use, maintenance and modifications of pcp's. I want to know what I can and should use or be able to do. Just as important, what not to use or do.

6) Realistically what types of accessories and equipment will I need to do the shooting I want to.

I have read a lot of good advice and gleaned a lot of good information from here and other various on line resources but have yet to find a place where this information / "education" can be found and presented in single place in a succinct fashion. I would think that manufacturers / retailers would want to do this. I know PA and a couple others have a lot of this type of information available but a person has to really dig to find what they want and will still have questions. For example I have yet to see a manual provided by a manufacturer that is adequate in my opinion. I have not seen all. At best a few topics are highlighted and that is it. And if you purchase your air rifle in the after market (classifieds) you are lucky to get anything at all. Usually it is a big fat "0", nada, zip. 
While researching the purchase of my latest air rifle I decided to go through the classifieds here and on other forums to see what people were selling and why. I realize that individuals will list the same item for sale on multiple sites for obvious reasons so the data provided here is from the AGN classifieds only. AGN is the only forum that I have subscribed to / registered with for my own personal reasons. Each forum has its own biases and cliques etc. so any data you may find listed elsewhere could very well be different than what I found here.
I went back and counted the various makes (brands) of pcp's listed for sale or trade in the past 6 months. I did my best to eliminate duplicate listings. Keep in mind this is for pcp guns only, not parts, not springers, not accessories etc.. In no way do I claim that this is scientific or 100 percent accurate. It is just my findings while researching for my own personal reasons. I am just sharing what I found.
There were approximately 290 listings for pcp's the past 6 months. The brand(s), and the percentage of the total listings for that brand, of pcp are listed as follows:
1) FX with 24.1%
2) Benjamin / Crossman with 22.3%
3) Daystate / Brocock with 12.1%
4) Hatsan 8.1%
5) Kalibre 6.4%
6) BSA and Air Arms were tied with 5.3%
8) Airforce 3.9%
9) Edgun and Taipan were tied with 2.5%
Others of note RAW/Vulcan (air gun tech)/ Kral/Walther were between 1.4% and 1.8%
The remainder were all other brands not listed above.
The top 10 accounted for over 90% of the listings. FX for nearly a quarter and Benjamin/Crossman close behind. The top 2 accounted for almost half the listings of pcp's for sale here on AGN for the past 6 months. I did not check every list to see if they told why it was being offered for sale or trade. I am still not sure what can be concluded from this data. My observations are:
1) I understand the Benjamin/Crossman rank as they tend to me more entry level and more of a "tinkerers" gun that people tend to take apart and modify or start out with.
2) FX surprised me. Maybe their users are not as welcome on other sites? Maybe there is a greater proliferation of FX guns in the market? Could it be their tendency to keep upgrading and changing their line of products more than others? Were the initial buyers lacking in their "education" and got into something over their heads? FX is not typically thought of as an "entry" level brand.
3) I did do some random checking of listings to see if reasons for their being listed were given. Most just listed the item for sale. Some were upgrading. Some were getting out of pcps or needed the money. A couple brands, RAW for one, the listings were more detailed with more pictures and almost expressed regret at having to sell them. That stood out as it was a RAW listing that I first came across that "feel" in the ad and as there were only 5 listings I looked at them because that first one I looked at caught my attention that way. Taipan was another brand I saw that in along with Daystate and I think there was an FX listing that had that feel.
My reason for checking was to see what Brands were people selling and which ones were they holding on to. My thinking being that less listings means people are happier with their purchase and less likely to want to sell or trade it. This does not in any way account for the market share factor as a percentage because I don't know what market share for any particular brand is. It is obvious that Edgun, Vulcan, RAW, Flex and Taipan to name a few have a smaller market share than FX, Benjamin or Daystate for example. This is what I found in my research. This could all be skewed and mess up for all I know. It did however influence my decision in the purchase of my latest pcp. I had a list of requirements for what I wanted in my latest purchase. I had a possible 5 different brands that made a pcp that would have fit all or most of my requirements (didn't have too many) and information gained from going through the past listings here in the classifieds helped me narrow it down to the final 2. If this is of any interest or worth to anyone else good, if not I at least got my 2 cents worth out there.

Reactions: Mick-VA
Very interesting research and results. Does make you kind of think. Although I'm fairly new to the game, it almost seems that some of those #s don't quite fit the conclusion (which would be the same exact thing I would gather) For example: Airforce doesn't seem to get a lot of love and postings. There even a post asking "why all the hate" implying that people actually hate AirForce. I would suggest maybe a research poll to the members, something short and to the point just listing the brands you listed and asking for input. Then see if you can get any conclusions out of that. 

HOW THINGS WORK.
Wow there's a LOT of things to cover so let's chunk it up into smaller bites. There is a wealth of information out there but if you wanted a single spot to whet your learning appetite then you would not go wrong with Matt Dubber's YouTube series entitled "Airgun Ballistics 101" 
This is a 7 part series of lectures which is an excellent read for anyone interested in air gunning.

Since the late 80's I only had and used 1 airgun, an Beeman HW77 in .177. Then 3 years ago I bought my first PCP, a 25 S rod. The cost of the gun and all the up grades I did, I had the cost of a high N air gun. I bought the Srod because of cost.....it is kind of a mid rang gun. Then last year I got a Daystate huntsman in .22. After shooting a Daystate the Marauder just set in the case. My father always said it only cost 20% more to go first class. I wish I had thought of that when I bought the Marauder. That being said I just sold the Marauder and bought another Daystate, a .25 Wolverine Hi Lite. No matter what I did the S rod was no more that a 40 yard gun while the Huntsman IS a 50 to 60 yard gun. I wish I had know about Matt Dubber and Ted's holder over before I bought the Marauder. These guys are shooters and know what is good and what is not.

Had this idea pop in my head as I was falling asleep last night. Maybe Michael could be convinced and a "education" section could be started on the forum where videos, articles, reviews and like materials could be suggested to him or someone for review. Then if the suggested item is deemed valuable or worthy of publication it could be added to the "collection" of informational / educational materials collected in this single location. It would not have to be limited to pcp's only. There could be a main "educational" forum section and inside it could be broken down into sub sections. IE; PCP's / Springers / accessories / Ballistics and projectiles / safety ... and so on. The content would be loaded in each sub heading then if people wanted to comment, ask questions or respond to the content they would click on a link below the specific content material and it would either start a new thread or bring people to an existing thread out in the main forum pages for the usual discussion. The idea being that the educational content section is kept clean and just has pertinent content that can be relatively easy to find and look at and does not get cluttered up with long pages of commentary. All questions and commentary would be directed out into the main forum where these things are openly discussed already. Just another thought.

Glassman, There are a lot of resources out there free for the asking, Tom Gaylord has been around for a long time, Teds Channel, Mr. Hollow point, there are I believe two or three United States based airgun magazines and even more in the UK. However just as you indicated it is widespread and tends to be a difficult roadmap to follow.

I do 100% agree with your assessment on an educated customer.... That however is going to be an issue as many of the sales are done with a simple click of a button. I too run a business (including website) and encourage potential customers to call me and discuss their options but in this fast pace world they do not or at least do not until something happens and they are facing a wall.

I do not agree with your assessment as to the selling of Air Rifles as you are basing your findings lopsided that is to say for a proper ratio you would also need to know the buying ratio of those same products. Research other air gun forums you would find a dramatically different ratio, as each forum tends to be biased to one manufacture or class and style of shooting and therefor type of shooting equipment. Perhaps biased would be the wrong word or at least the term is not being used negatively just the way it is. 
As you know there are many types of airguns on the market, with a sliding scale in product class and value / quality and therefor, there comes a point in that class that the guns become a investment. An Commodity that has a market and therefor an investment (not so much to make money with but to climb up to the higher class with)---------"deleted"
Okay so I tried to type this out and seem to be going in circles, but the short of it is that because this is a investment hobby the people involved doesn't always buy or sell because of personal preference but do so to reach a goal for a more expensive product, or to experiment with a product then sell it for cash to get another. Also just as you mentioned there are a sprinkling of all the other reasons, ie, Selling out, Emergency Funds, and so on. 

I do believe that a forum would do well (including this one) to have a beginners section with a sticky that lists useful links and posts (even if only ones in that forum itself) that can walk people through the learning process and help them find the information they are looking for. (I already know part of a reply would be they can search the forum or ask BUT)
The one BAD assumption an experienced hobbyist tends to have is that a beginner would know what questions to ask or search for.

"Willie14228"

I do believe that a forum would do well (including this one) to have a beginners section with a sticky that lists useful links and posts (even if only ones in that forum itself) that can walk people through the learning process and help them find the information they are looking for. (I already know part of a reply would be they can search the forum or ask BUT)
The one BAD assumption an experienced hobbyist tends to have is that a beginner would know what questions to ask or search for.

this
It doesnt have to be a few mega thread like this post ;] just a few pointers. Where to buy, what to start of with springers or pcps. Like hw30 for springers and maybe a marauder or a streamline. Filling options, starter scopes. Youtube channels to watch. 

I can tell you all from experience? This PCP game is not much different from shooting any powder burning sport. If you make the right buy for what you want to shoot.
Example: Mine was trap shooting. Took three guns.
I had to teach my self. I knew that the guys that were at the top of their game were not going to teach me to beat them. But charged $300.00 an hour
for lessons!. BS. So I studied them. Loaded my own shells. Trained,. Worked well. I won once in a while. 
Today? Trap is all but dead because the cost of learning got to expensive . I'm worried this will happen to this venue as well.

Wouldn't it nice to have just one resource one could go to? All sorts of specs could be listed, and even user reviews. Sounds wonderful, especially to a neophyte. However....

In the final analysis, all of the specs, reviews, and anecdotal inputs don't mean squat! What does count, is the user's attitude towards the airgun (car, boat, whatever) once he or she has owned it for a few months. Those thoughts can't be put on paper, no matter how hard you try.