• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Results Republic of Texas Field Target Match

2019 Republic of Texas 15th Annual Field Target Match

This year’s RoT will be held Saturday Sept. 14th & Sunday Sept. 15th in Pecan Plantation, TX (Granbury, TX). It will include a 100 shot rifle match (60 shots on Saturday & 40 shots on Sunday) and a 40 shot pistol match after Saturday’s rifle match. This will be an AAFTA Grand Prix qualifying match. Lunch will be provided both days. Awards will be given based on class participation. 3 people in a class will be eligible for a 1st place award, 5 people in a class will be eligible for a 1st & 2nd place award, and 7 or more people in a class will be eligible for a 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place award. The entry fee will be $75 which includes lunch on both days and a shirt. Please note: YOU MUST COMPLETE YOUR REGISTRATION & PAYMENT BY AUGUST 15TH. NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED. The range will open for match participants to sight-in, etc. starting Friday 9/13. The shooter’s meeting for both days will be at 9:AM followed by the match. This will be two fun days of shooting and camaraderie and we hope you will come and be a part of it.

This is the link for registration: https://forms.gle/FPQ3oZcaLoxP4ncb6

**Please note if you plan to mail a check let me know before sending. I have just moved and not installed my mailbox yet.

Thanks,

Craig Martin

PPAA Match Director

2019 15th Annual Republic of Texas Field Target Match

Pecan Plantation, TX September 14th & 15th

This year’s annual Republic of Texas match was held in Pecan Plantation. Pecan Plantation is a very large gated community outside of Granbury, TX. We had 33 competitors compete for the Texas State Championship title & AAFTA Grand Prix points over 2 days. Most people started arriving at the range Friday afternoon to check there rifles & enjoy some bratwurst off the grill. We had 8 from Louisiana, 6 from Oklahoma, 1 from Boston, and the remainder from all over Texas.

Saturday morning we started with a 60 shot rifle match utilizing 15 lanes with 2 targets per lane. The Troyer rating for Saturday’s rifle match was 29.8. Average for both days was 29.3. Though that may seem like a low Troyer rating for a championship match I have found, over the past 5 years of running matches in Pecan Plantation, that Troyer ratings approaching 30 to be plenty difficult. At our range targets are in trees, on towers, & sides of hills. So competitors shoot up and they shoot up a lot. We were blessed on Saturday with no wind but with high temperatures in the mid to upper 90’s we all paid for it. One good thing about our range in Pecan Plantation is that every lane is shaded so nobody is sitting out in the sun.

After the rifle match we served lunch. While everyone ate ribs & sausage we did the switch over from rifle to pistol and prepared for the Pistol FT match. We allowed everyone shooting pistol to have time to site in and got the pistol match underway around 2:45PM. The PFT match was a 40 shot match (10 lanes with 2 targets per lane) with a Troyer rating of 30.2. We had 11 shoot PFT. Other than the afternoon heat becoming oppressive the match went smooth and wrapped up around 4:pM. Kevin Enzian won the match with an impressive 38/40, followed by Bod Dye 34/40, Mike Vredenburg 32/40, David Abshire & Paul Walker with a 31/40. We had awards for places 1 thru 4 so a shoot-off took place between David & Paul and David came out on top.

Sunday morning we were back at it for day 2 of the rifle match. Sunday’s match was 40 shot’s on 10 lanes with 2 targets per lane. The Troyer rating for Sunday was 28.7. The weather Sunday was a repeat of Saturday. The match moved along smoothly and we finished up before it got too hot. We kept lunch simple on Sunday and grilled hamburgers. Those who finished first ate and watched scores come in while we waited for the remaining to finish up. Our largest class was Hunter PCP with 18. The top two scores were Terry Vanpool & Bob Dye with 89 out of 100. After a long shoot-off for 1st Bob Dye was declared the winner. We gave out awards for 1st thru 5th place. Award winners were Bob Dye 89/100 for 1st, Terry Vanpool 89/100 for 2nd, David Abshire 85/100 for 3rd, Chris Bassett 84/100 for 4th, & Carey Hymel with 80/100 for 5th. Our next largest class was Hunter Piston with 7 competitors. 1st place was Griff Crutti with 68/100, 2nd was Kenny Altazin 64/100, and 3rd place was decided by a 3 way shoot-off between Eric Pianori/Bob Pacatte/Jim Clarke all with a 51/100. Jim Clarke won the shoot-off and was declared the 3rd place winner. The last class eligible for awards was Open PCP with 4 competing. First place was taken by David Alsup with 88 out of 100. After awards were passed out everyone packed up and headed home. By 1:45PM everyone was gone.

I would like to thank everyone for coming. We had a large turnout and a number of new faces. I think I was finally getting everyone’s name right by the time we finished the weekend. Typical to what I have found after over 5 years of holding FT matches the people who shoot this sport are great people who are fun to be around. I would like to thank a number of volunteers that were a big help. In no particular order Vickie Leggett, Don Walker, Jim Tenpenny, David Jones, Jimmy Gomez, Jim Leggett, David Carlile, & Karen Martin. All of these people were a big help and I could not have pulled it off without them. This was my first time hosting the RoT and I really enjoyed it and look forward to hosting again in a few years.

Craig Martin

PPAA Match Director